Update Mark Ingram signed with Ravens (1 Viewer)

it sucks, both sides of the story have lost out here.

Ingram's camp went after 7+ million which he does deserve, he had already taken a team friendly deal.

Saints ensured that they had setup a contingency plan should there be any real difference in price. There was so they immediately went to plan b.

We had to do this to ensure we are happy with who we have in our RB group going forward. Ingram than went to the Ravens and with no market they offered him a little more than what we did and in truth looking back i think he takes our deal with hindsight.

1.4 million per year more from the Ravens... Who is saying they were .5 million away? 1.4 x 4 is a 5.6 million dollar difference. Not only that but Ingram makes 15 million in 3 years, with a chance to sign one more pay day after that making his side more than a .5 million dollars difference.

This assumes MI plays out his entire contract, with opportunity for 1 more payday. But he's a Raven now...a team with a long history of riding their RBs into the dirt. Other than Ray Rice, I'm hard pressed to think of ANY Ravens RB who lasted more than 3+/- years in their system. He may be "low mileage/low impact" now, but he won't be at the next negotiation. I thought maybe he wanted to be a bell-cow/featured back, but he'll be splitting carries with Lamar Jackson in that backfield, not much different than splitting with Kamara. Except he'll be seeing 8-9 man fronts nearly every snap in Baltimore, which no team dares to do against NO. So MI may have gotten slightly more salary per year, but his career will be shortened dramatically, IMO. The extra 0.5-1 million per year with the Ravens would've/could've been more than offset by the Saints, continuing the split-carries concept for a longer term. Hell, playing for the Saints one year longer than the Ravens contract would be a better deal for MI.

This isn't going to end well for MI. His production is going to decrease in that run-run-run-punt offense, facing 8-9 man fronts every snap. And hits are the measure of shelf-life for a RB, not age. His career is going to be shortened, as he's going to absorb more hits in ONE YEAR with the Ravens than he would've absorbed in a 3-year run with the Saints. MI has been one of my favorite Saints RBs of ALL TIME, and I wanted him back BADLY. But this isn't going to end well for MI, and I don't want him to end his career like this. But look at the Ravens history with RBs...and if the past is any indication of the future, this is EXACTLY how it's going to end...

My sons are Ravens fans, but they watch Saints games and often ask me about Saints players for their annual fantasy league drafts. They thought the Ben Watson and Willie Snead signings were good "steals" from the Saints. And they're ecstatic with this signing! But they're looking at next year, not the length of the contract.

I hope I'm wrong. Good luck MI. You were one of my all-time favorite Saints and you'll be missed. It wasn't supposed to be this way...

I agree. Without having read the entire thread, I will say this... If that is what happened and Ingram's agent and the Saints were playing the Bluff/Call bluff game, the net result is the loss of not only a very good RB that is very popular with the fan base, but a Locker room MVP... and all over what is, in the grand scheme, a rather nominal amount of money. In my opinion, both Ingram's agent and the Saints front office fumbled the ball on this one.

Obviously I am really bummed about the loss of Ingram.

I was thinking it was more of a situation where Ingram's agent wasn't playing ball, and Loomis decided he had to go with someone else not knowing the real situation. Something like ...

Saints start with their lowball offer, 4M on a similar deal Ingram just finished.
Agent comes back with, "We're looking for something in the 7.5M range.
Saints counter with "Hey, we need to fill some holes in our offense. We can do 4.5M with some obtainable incentives.
Agent comes back with, "We're pretty firm on the 7.5M. In fact, we have an offer on the table from the Ravens already in that same ballpark"
Saints go with their backup plan.

I don't think the Saints were picking nits with just an extra 1M. I think Ingram's agent was playing hardball for the big number, and got called on his bluff.

it sucks, both sides of the story have lost out here.

Ingram's camp went after 7+ million which he does deserve, he had already taken a team friendly deal.

Saints ensured that they had setup a contingency plan should there be any real difference in price. There was so they immediately went to plan b.

We had to do this to ensure we are happy with who we have in our RB group going forward. Ingram than went to the Ravens and with no market they offered him a little more than what we did and in truth looking back i think he takes our deal with hindsight.

If Ingram deserved a 7M per year deal, he would have gotten one. He over valued his own worth. I don't remember too many times over the last 8 years where Ingram put the team on his back and willed us to victory. He has always been a pretty good player and a great locker room guy. I think 4.5M per year was extremely generous.

Wow..... This hurts, but as usual; I'm putting my trust and faith into SP&ML..... Good luck to you MI, thanks for the years / memories.. Looking for the future, we need another North/South Hard Hitter (1,2 Punch Player to complement AK).

I don't know if I'm more mad at Ingram or the Saints for botching this so bad but its seriously a damn shame and still hurts.

I will say this though: I haven't seen a single statement from Mark acknowledging the Saints (organization, fans, or the city) and conversely he has EAGERLY jumped on posting nothing but Ravens stuff all over his twitter. I was extremely bummed to click "unfollow" on his twitter but I can't bring myself to keep following him after this. Like I said... I don't know if the Saints messed this up or if it was Mark's agent, but this should have never happened.

Us fans invest a ton of emotional energy into some of these players that we love, to include Mark Ingram. I really feel let down about all this. Not only was he a great RB for the team (had a chance to finish his time in New Orleans as the greatest Saints RB ever), but he was an awesome leader and had amazing chemistry. Latavius Murray won't replicate any of the above.

I don't know if I'm more mad at Ingram or the Saints for botching this so bad but its seriously a damn shame and still hurts.

I will say this though: I haven't seen a single statement from Mark acknowledging the Saints (organization, fans, or the city) and conversely he has EAGERLY jumped on posting nothing but Ravens stuff all over his twitter. I was extremely bummed to click "unfollow" on his twitter but I can't bring myself to keep following him after this. Like I said... I don't know if the Saints messed this up or if it was Mark's agent, but this should have never happened.

Us fans invest a ton of emotional energy into some of these players that we love, to include Mark Ingram. I really feel let down about all this. Not only was he a great RB for the team (had a chance to finish his time in New Orleans as the greatest Saints RB ever), but he was an awesome leader and had amazing chemistry. Latavius Murray won't replicate any of the above.

Was hoping for a better response too, but also I do get it and I would be a bit bitter too

He has a small blurb on his Instagram story but hopefully more to come

I was thinking it was more of a situation where Ingram's agent wasn't playing ball, and Loomis decided he had to go with someone else not knowing the real situation. Something like ...

Saints start with their lowball offer, 4M on a similar deal Ingram just finished.
Agent comes back with, "We're looking for something in the 7.5M range.
Saints counter with "Hey, we need to fill some holes in our offense. We can do 4.5M with some obtainable incentives.
Agent comes back with, "We're pretty firm on the 7.5M. In fact, we have an offer on the table from the Ravens already in that same ballpark"
Saints go with their backup plan.

I don't think the Saints were picking nits with just an extra 1M. I think Ingram's agent was playing hardball for the big number, and got called on his bluff.

You may be right. Either way, my thinking is that someone screwed the pooch. I was simply responding to speculation. I doubt the Saints actually preferred Murry over Ingram, and I don't believe that 1M would have killed that deal. Perhaps the guaranteed money issue was a deal killer. I don't know.

OMG RIGHT IN THE FEELS ?

Just when I was almost to the almost point of starting to get over it!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom