Mark Ingram Tied for 1st in NFL with 5.3 YPC (backs with over 100 carries) (1 Viewer)

Exactly...Hightower's 100-yard game was because of volume (26 carries), not because of anything special he was doing. He averaged like 3.9 ypc, even with a 28 yard run included. He only got 100 yards because, unlike most weeks, we used a RB as an every-down back for once.

Yeah I hate the "take away the one run" argument, but truth is, if not for that one long run out of 26 tries, he averaged like 2.9 ypc on his other runs.

With the way the OL has improved, I think we should be looking no more than 3-4 games back. If either Ingram or Hightower get one of those big holes we have been seeing lately, they will pop a big one.

With the way the OL has improved, I think we should be looking no more than 3-4 games back. If either Ingram or Hightower get one of those big holes we have been seeing lately, they will pop a big one.

Agree with the premise, but even in this past game, as someone else pointed out:

Hightower: 15 carries, 51 yards, 30 long.
Ingram: 14 carries, 146 yards, 61 long.

Remove Hightower's 30 yard run, and he had 14 carries for 21 yards. 1.5 yards per carry.

Remove Ingram's 61 yard run, and he had 13 carries for 85 yards. 6.5 yards per carry.

This is so cut and dry, I can't wait to see what the anti-Ingram crowd has to say next.

I don't know how much more evidence is needed to show that Ingram is the clearly superior running back and doesn't deserve to be removed from the game in favor of Hightower as much as he has been. He is consistently out-performing Hightower IMO.

Agree with the premise, but even in this past game, as someone else pointed out:

I don't know how much more evidence is needed to show that Ingram is the clearly superior running back and doesn't deserve to be removed from the game in favor of Hightower as much as he has been. He is consistently out-performing Hightower IMO.

Agree. Ingram is definitely more explosive.

I like both of them, and think we need both. When Ingram pops a big one, he needs to sit a few snaps.

I think we have a good thing going, if either go down, there is not a whole lot of drop off.

I've almost always backed Ingram, even when he was mainly used as a short yardage back, and everyone complained cause he didn't get much ypc.
but, this last game vs rams, i can see reasoning behind limiting Ingram's "pitch count". he just came off a concussion, and was sniffing something(guessing smelling salts) on sideline all game.

I've almost always backed Ingram, even when he was mainly used as a short yardage back, and everyone complained cause he didn't get much ypc.
but, this last game vs rams, i can see reasoning behind limiting Ingram's "pitch count". he just came off a concussion, and was sniffing something(guessing smelling salts) on sideline all game.

Yes, once we had the game in hand, Ingram should have sat down. I kept yelling at the TV for him to sit. Ingram is 1 small hit away from sitting a game or 2, not worth the risk in a blowout.

I'm not discounting the value of a decent backup RB. What I'm saying is there are zero reasons that Hightower should be on the field when a new series starts. Also, no reason he should be on the field for goal line situations unless Ingram just popped a 50 yarder to get them there.

Personally I think Ingram was inspired by being benched for most of one game. But ALSO, to maybe an even larger degree than the psychological impact of being benched and fumbling, I think he improved as a result of those around him improving.

It can be a combination of BOTH that have made his numbers so good.

The only thing the benching did for Mark Ingram was allow him to not try to force the issue during the Seahawks game. I can understand that. I personally believe he should have been allowed back in the game later after he was given the chance to put it behind him, but he wasn't so now we are discussing how benching Ingram magically gave him some special shoes with +1 Speed, +1 Juke, +1 Vision and +10 Oline/Run Commitment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom