Mark Murphy (CEO of Packers)- He Must Read Saints Report? (1 Viewer)

J.T.

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
San Francisco, via La Place, via Galliano, via Mon
“Maybe another way to do this is to add one neutral site game and one international one for every team, so we can use this to grow the game.”

Kind of looks familiar, right?

I am really caught on this one. 4 Preseason Games sux- flat out sux. Starters may play 4 to 6 quarters. The rest are primarily scrubs. When I used to live in NO and had season tickets, I hated paying for the preseason games. That POd me.

Then there's the players' safety. So the NFL goes to Thursday nite games and we all know the quality of play of Thursday with less time to prepare for the games and far less time than even experts like Coach Pete say is not nearly enough time for players' bodies to recover and as the season wears on, the quality of most Thursday nite games is not much better than the 3rd preseason games. That Panther Thursday game we barely won last year was pathetic play by both exhausted, beat-up teams.

Now let's add International games. Besides the 8-14 hours flights each way in the air which basically equates to minus 2 days of recovery in skilled facilities, there's jet lag. Those of us who have flown a lot overseas know it takes the body 2-4 days to readjust,

The players are getting beat to death. No wonder, outside of the superstars, the NFL is becoming a young players game.

Now, let's add 2 more real games where players play all out and their bodies take the beating of 2 more regular season games. The players are going to get killed. I've heard about mandating max 16 regular season games for the players, but that really doesn't work putting an inferior product on the field. An extra bye week? That may help. If they go to 18 regular, out of decency, they have to expand the active roster to 60 and even then, the starters will still get beat up more than 16 game seasons. And yet, the NFL will not touch the Roids issue with any real stringency. Most players have to use roids now starting in high school (Yes, I know this to be true in Texas 5A now) all the way through their pro days. So these are superhumans, pumped up with truly unreal muscles, speed, reflexes, size and onward causing brutality on the field.

The NFL touch this??? - NO WAY because the players would actually become smaller and less athletic. Coach Pete has told me that at the NFL level, Roids are required to recover from most serious injuries to get them back on the field quickly.

Where does this "Screw and brutalize the Players" merry-go-round ever stop? I sure don't know, but as we fans cheer our brains out for our favorite teams, these young kids with fame, babes, money, fast cars and adoring fans are like a drug to keep the young players destroying their body and minds for the rest of their lives.

Rant over!!! I hope a real solution with player safety emerges. Just afraid this is the modern day Coliseum where the players eventually get fed to the Lions while we fans cheer on for more blood and guts. And YES - I am very guilty here!

“Maybe another way to do this is to add one neutral site game and one international one for every team, so we can use this to grow the game.”

We also don't need 18 regular season games.

17 games. 2 preseason games. 3 bye weeks. An automatic bye before any Thursday game and after any international game. With a regular season lasting 20 weeks, the teams will make an incredible money.

I don't want to see an increase in regular season games. I think a reduction of 2 preseason games along with 2 bye weeks would be a good start. Eliminating all Thursday night games except Thanksgiving games is a must to me. Awful product. There is now a large enough sample size to prove that Thursday night games lead to more injuries. In addition, an increase of the active roster is necessary in today's game. I hate the international games because the city who is supposed to be the HOME loses out on the revenue for all the related businesses in and around game day, and the city itself loses out on the the tax dollars. In addition, you have cluster Fs like last years game in Mexico, our should I say non-game. The game was moved back to the USA because the field was destroyed by unusual rain event and then a big concert held in the stadium. Waste of money and a whole lot of time. As mentioned by others, the flights to europe are unreasonable. They take a real toll on the players which then give us below quality games. Not a good selling tool. International expansion won't be able to happen until a new supersonic passenger jet in created in order to reduce travel time.

The commissioner, well...... This will be one of the issues the NFLPA will have to iron out during the next collective bargaining agreement.
Off topic.

I’d be all for extending the season to 18 weeks and giving 2 bye weekends. Have the teams coming off the byes play the Thursday game that way they get about ten off coming in and ten off going after.

Another bye won’t hurt viewership, and it will allow some of the guys to at least have the minor dings get better.

As far as expanding the roster, ok, but do the guys in spaces 55-65 say even play anyway? I mean there’s depth but even now there are players that hardly see the field. Adding more to that number I can’t see helping the situation much.

So much of this kind of talk is positioning for the CBA. I expect the games playing and sword rattling to increase significantly from both sides after this season. There's no way the players will go for 18 regular-season games without more money and increased roster size or other major compensation.

As all of you know, it's 100% about profits for the owners and regardless of the marketing verbiage, they don't care about the players short or long-term health if they make more money. Disgusting, but true!

I have a feeling that the players will be much more prepared, educated, aware and unified during this negotiation.

I wonder if Sean Payton can still play QB for the scrubs - lol

I have no problem with Thursday games, as long as every team has a bye week before it. And another bye week sometime later/earlier in the season.

Healthier players, better product for the fans and the owners should make more money.

I think the Thursday games are ridiculously stupid. The ONLY reason for them is the NFL trying to grab more money.

Have you ever seen the 1st two regular season games? They are pretty trash as teams try to figure out how their pieces fit together.

Cartel always brainstorming ways to improve margin rather than improving the product.

Longer season = more tickets/TV = more money

Bigger roster = higher cap = higher ticket prices

Cut preseason to two. Thursday games okay with bye after.

Ditch international; if other countries seriously wanted to adopt American football they'd've done it by now.

And here's an idea...officiating that's credible. Instead of having to beat opponents and refs, empower teams with top-quality officials, speedy reviews and telemetry. Chip the ball. Wire the field. Embrace the 21st century.

/rant
#rogsux

17 games. 2 preseason games. 3 bye weeks. An automatic bye before any Thursday game and after any international game. With a regular season lasting 20 weeks, the teams will make an incredible money.

Or even 17 and 3 preseason (the owners aren’t going to give up a ticketed game) could be a cool compromise.

They could make that extra game matchups be your corresponding finisher from the opposite conference on divisional rotation (like they do the division-v-division). So it won’t mess up any of the current scheduling or seeding. The Saints, for example, would just play one more team from the AFC - a corresponding finisher from one of the other three AFC divisions we aren’t already playing that year. And that second division would just rotate like the others. It’s seamless and adds a regular season game.

I can do without any Thursday games and that includes Thanksgiving.

I would like to keep it to 16 games. I would like 2 bye weeks. If they feel the absolutely must play Thursday, both teams should get byes the week before.

As for preseason games, I think 2 is too little but 4 is too much, so settle on 3.

Yes, "scrubs" play in that last preseason game, but I like the appeal of borderline guys maybe having a one last chance to show teams something to make an NFL roster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom