Marlon Humphrey's contract (food for thought regarding Lattimore) (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
"The Ravens made Humphrey the second-highest paid cornerback in the NFL, signing him to a five-year, $98.75 million extension on Thursday, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported. His average of $19.75 million per season ranks just behind the Los Angeles Rams' Jalen Ramsey ($20 million per season).....
Humphrey, 24, has been the Ravens' top defensive playmaker over the past three seasons. Since entering the league in 2017, Humphrey is one of two NFL players to produce at least 40 passes defensed, eight interceptions, four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries (Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore is the other)."

Rest of the article:

Expected payroll is getting hotter by the minute.

I know great CB's are truly hard to find. Lattimore has been very good-great but is just not consistent. He is not the best at his position and this year especially has not been very good. If his progress does not improve greatly over the course of the season I can't see him getting a contract better than AK's. As much as I hate to say it, if it comes down to keeping either Lattimore or Ram, I'd keep Ram and let some other team over pay for Lattimore. MT, AK, and Ram have consistently proven to be the best at their positions, where Lattimore seems to be slowly getting worse.

Is Lattimore worth $16-18 million a year is the question.

If he hits free agency. He'll get north of 19 million. Prized CBs don't hit FA. They get traded. It'll be a bidding war.

I honestly top out at $12 million per year on a short deal. 2 yr $24-26 million. I don't trust his worth ethic. He is taking games off now. What is like that when he has 5 yr security and a hundred million dollars?

I do agree that if the cap makes you pick only one, the it is Ram 100%.

But, it is really hard to judge a CB when their Dline is getting absolutley no pressure whatsoever. We have gotten a few coverage sacks so far this year, but unless we bring S or LB pressure the Dline just hasn't gotten it done. When you have to bring the secondary pressure then that leaves holes for the guys in coverage. The PI has been really bad this year and I think we are seeing less and less effort from Latt each week. But, it is just really hard to give a fair judgment on him right now.

If he hits free agency. He'll get north of 19 million. Prized CBs don't hit FA. They get traded. It'll be a bidding war.

I honestly top out at $12 million per year on a short deal. 2 yr $24-26 million. I don't trust his worth ethic. He is taking games off now. What is like that when he has 5 yr security and a hundred million dollars?

Exactly. He's playing for a contract now and taking games/plays off.

With Gamepass, I've rewatched all the games, some multiple times. Lattimore had a few perfect bombs where he had perfect coverage, but the QB threw a perfect pass and the receivers made great catches. I don't think Revis could have defended those. Also, there were a number of plays where it appeared that one of our DBs did not get the play right and did not take the Receiver Latt was covering when he passed the receiver off, then Latt scrambled back when he saw the miss and tried to make a play. He is not playing near as bad as his stats.

At the way he has played the last 2 games he can walk. He will have to step it up or take a back loaded deal that the team can back out on after 2021 with little repercusions.

Things could change over the next 13 games. However, up to this point Lattimore hasn't performed like a $20 Million per year CB.

This stuff where people suggest 'fair value' figures for player deals somewhat reminds me of a TV show over here.

A couple want to buy a house and the show helps them find a few properties in their budget, preferred location etc. The couple pick one and then the presenter, who is also a very experienced agent/realtor, who knows the market, suggests how much they might bid.

Then the presenter asks them what they want to do, and there's almost always this moment when one of the couple, almost universally the guy, decides they know better and want to offer less than the Market Price. Not just a little less, significantly less. Because they want to get 'a deal', because they think the Market Price is just something that happens to other people.

And then the presenter just gives them this look, occasionally reminding them what a bad idea it is, before calling with the lowball offer. And then they get their offer rejected, and either miss out on the place altogether or end up making the deal at, surprise, the Market Price.

It's nice to throw lower numbers out in these posts while we play GM, but the fact is the market will outpay you. The Market Price is what the market will bear. We have a #2 CB making $12m per year, how do you think a #1 is going to accept that when he knows the market will give him $18-20m?

The Saints will have a price they're willing to pay. If the number gets too high, then the game changes and they move on. But the Saints price will not even be within driving distance of $12m per season. Not a chance.

I'm no football expert, but it appears he gets consistently beat by no name receivers. I remember his first year he consistently broke up passes. I just don't see that from him anymore. He also got torched in the playoffs last year by Vikings WRs.

Do we even have the salary cap to pay him and others like Ram?....I'll go with RAM over Lattimore, unless Lattimore takes a reasonable 12-14 mill a year.....

This stuff where people suggest 'fair value' figures for player deals somewhat reminds me of a TV show over here.

A couple want to buy a house and the show helps them find a few properties in their budget, preferred location etc. The couple pick one and then the presenter, who is also a very experienced agent/realtor, who knows the market, suggests how much they might bid.

Then the presenter asks them what they want to do, and there's almost always this moment when one of the couple, almost universally the guy, decides they know better and want to offer less than the Market Price. Not just a little less, significantly less. Because they want to get 'a deal', because they think the Market Price is just something that happens to other people.

And then the presenter just gives them this look, occasionally reminding them what a bad idea it is, before calling with the lowball offer. And then they get their offer rejected, and either miss out on the place altogether or end up making the deal at, surprise, the Market Price.

It's nice to throw lower numbers out in these posts while we play GM, but the fact is the market will outpay you. The Market Price is what the market will bear. We have a #2 CB making $12m per year, how do you think a #1 is going to accept that when he knows the market will give him $18-20m?

The Saints will have a price they're willing to pay. If the number gets too high, then the game changes and they move on. But the Saints price will not even be within driving distance of $12m per season. Not a chance.
What did I say...

THE MOST I WOULD GO WITH IS... 12-14 million on a short term deal. Not what the Saints will go with...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom