Marlon Humphrey's contract (food for thought regarding Lattimore) (1 Viewer)

I'm not willing to pay an inconsistent player. We've got 3 years of insight into Lattimore and every year since his 2nd year it's been "I need to be locked in snap to snap" and every we are disappointed in his ability to do that despite it being the focus.

Darius Slay comes to mind when I think of Lattimore and how he was traded and in Lattimore's favor is he was drafted by the current Regime where as Matt Patricia did not have anything to do with bringing in Slay so the likelihood of a trade was a bit higher there. Still, we see what a player of his caliber can pull but recently I've noticed the Saints adopting a bit of the Eagles strategy since they won their SB.

Something the Eagles do is they pay safeties and draft DB's or trade for a DB who's contract is cheaper than what the market is currently going for but who's talent may not be as much of a drop off.

I'm all for that strategy...but I'm also for seeing how he plays with a different coach than Aaron Glenn (I think Dennis Allen will be here for a while). I'm not so sure he's taking to Glenn's coaching style. It's like he's hearing what he's saying and can repeat it but isn't really accepting it and it makes you wonder if changing that variable can get more consistent production out of him.

Granted the Saints aren't going to fire Glenn..nor am i suggesting they should but he has gotten coordinator interviews 2 years running and could be prime for landing one after this season.

I'm no football expert, but it appears he gets consistently beat by no name receivers. I remember his first year he consistently broke up passes. I just don't see that from him anymore. He also got torched in the playoffs last year by Vikings WRs.
And that is the main issue most of us have with Lattimore and he even admitted to it publicly last year that he played up/down to his weekly competition which is something great players do not do. You should play your best no matter who is lining up across from you every week. If that is how he continues to play then he is not worth Top Dollar IMO.

Did I ever mention how I love that Demario Davis took far less than his actual market value? If anything, he should be the one getting the sizable contract and not the likes of Peat. Ram deserves a great contract. As for Latt, he’s going to get paid. Either we will pay him or someone else will. I don’t think he should reset the market, but he should get in the top range for sure. Somehow, someway, our FO will try their best to pay everyone. I do think that Marcus Williams will be the odd man out.

And that is the main issue most of us have with Lattimore and he even admitted to it publicly last year that he played up/down to his weekly competition which is something great players do not do. You should play your best no matter who is lining up across from you every week. If that is how he continues to play then he is not worth Top Dollar IMO.
Sounds lovely. Who's replacing him? Because these decisions don't exist in a vacuum.

I know great CB's are truly hard to find. Lattimore has been very good-great but is just not consistent. He is not the best at his position and this year especially has not been very good. If his progress does not improve greatly over the course of the season I can't see him getting a contract better than AK's. As much as I hate to say it, if it comes down to keeping either Lattimore or Ram, I'd keep Ram and let some other team over pay for Lattimore. MT, AK, and Ram have consistently proven to be the best at their positions, where Lattimore seems to be slowly getting worse.

I don’t hate to say it...there is no way that you keep Lattimore over a consistently awesome All-Pro OT in Ramczyk. That’s pretty much the easiest decision ever.

If I have to choose between re-signing a top CB or a top OT, it’s the latter almost 100% of the time.

Lattimore is a very good player, but AT SOME POINT a difficult choice or two has to be made. If we can get a solid pick(s) for a top CB and get some younger, cheaper starters to balance with the long term high dollar earners, then we might have to do so.

Did I ever mention how I love that Demario Davis took far less than his actual market value? If anything, he should be the one getting the sizable contract and not the likes of Peat. Ram deserves a great contract. As for Latt, he’s going to get paid. Either we will pay him or someone else will. I don’t think he should reset the market, but he should get in the top range for sure. Somehow, someway, our FO will try their best to pay everyone. I do think that Marcus Williams will be the odd man out.
If he hits free agency. He'll be close to reseting the market on his youth, potential, and elite athleticism alone. He's CB with 4.34 speed with elite coverage skills. Other franchise with huge cap space will put up with the inconsistency. We don't have room for error in that same sense.

Sounds lovely. Who's replacing him? Because these decisions don't exist in a vacuum.

I've never said I don't want him back. I remember for decades struggling to find a decent CB. I'm saying that what he's put out on the field is not worth Top 5 CB money. When he's on his game, then yes he is but that is only when he is lined up against Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Amari Cooper, Etc. When he is lined up against lesser quality WR's he has consistently played down to their levels and even admitted he does. So is he worth Top 5 money if he only comes to play half the season? If he can turn it around and play at his best every game then I will say he deserves every penny he can get, if he continues to play like he has then no.

I don't claim to know who has what assignment every play and if other DB's are failing to do their job, that is on the Coaching Staff and Veteran Leaders to address. But the plays I've seen where Lattimore has been straight beaten man up against lesser competition just doesn't justify big money.

I've never said I don't want him back. I remember for decades struggling to find a decent CB. I'm saying that what he's put out on the field is not worth Top 5 CB money. When he's on his game, then yes he is but that is only when he is lined up against Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Amari Cooper, Etc. When he is lined up against lesser quality WR's he has consistently played down to their levels and even admitted he does. So is he worth Top 5 money if he only comes to play half the season? If he can turn it around and play at his best every game then I will say he deserves every penny he can get, if he continues to play like he has then no.

I don't claim to know who has what assignment every play and if other DB's are failing to do their job, that is on the Coaching Staff and Veteran Leaders to address. But the plays I've seen where Lattimore has been straight beaten man up against lesser competition just doesn't justify big money.
I get all that, but again, if someone else will pay him that, then we either have to do the same or replace him.

With Gamepass, I've rewatched all the games, some multiple times. Lattimore had a few perfect bombs where he had perfect coverage, but the QB threw a perfect pass and the receivers made great catches. I don't think Revis could have defended those. Also, there were a number of plays where it appeared that one of our DBs did not get the play right and did not take the Receiver Latt was covering when he passed the receiver off, then Latt scrambled back when he saw the miss and tried to make a play. He is not playing near as bad as his stats.

Check out Baldinger's video here:

On the bomb to Lazard at 2:40, CGJ passed off Lazard to Lattimore to settle into his shallow zone and Latt is beat immediately. That play was over as soon as CGJ took his hands off him, Latt never even had a chance. That's not on Johnson, that's 100% Lattimore.

Again ON THE VERY NEXT PLAY at 3:30 on Lazard's TD catch, Lattimore again got help from a safety with Jenkins knocking him off his route. Lattimore was in man and gets "picked" and I put that in quotes because Lattimore seems like he has no intention of even trying to cover Lazard. Again, the play was over before Rodgers even got the ball in his hands.

That TD drive was given up Lattimore to a UDFA with safety help on each. Stop defending him.

There's a coverage mishap at 8:20 you might be referring to that was ALSO caused by Lattimore. He decides to double cover a RB 30 yards down the field that Demario was already blanketing instead of the wide open TE that burned us all night long. So yea, one of our DB's didn't get the play right, but that DB was Lattimore.

Last edited:
Hopefully Humphries contract this week pushes Lattimore to ball out for the rest of the year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom