Marques Colston want LONG TERM DEAL per KFFL (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Didnt see this posted....

Saints | Colston wants long-term deal
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:10:07 -0800

Larry Holder, of the Sun Herald, reports New Orleans Saints WR Marques Colston wants to sign a long-term deal with the Saints before he becomes a free agent after the 2008 season. "I would love to because there is no other team that I would rather play for," he said. "I think we've got a great thing going here in New Orleans." Colston is scheduled to make $445,000 in the upcoming 2008 season.

i mean don't you just love this guy....sign'm to a 15 year, hundred million dollar contract for all i care..... give him whatever he wants....

It'll get done. Loomis has a lot on his plate right now - FA starts on March 3, then the draft. So he's trying to lock up guys scheduled to be UFAs. Then he's got to pursue, negotiate with, and ultimately sign some FAs. I'm sure a new deal for Colston will be the main focus after the draft picks are signed but before TC starts. Hopefully it will be handled behind closed doors like it should be. Things tend to go bad when it's handled in public.......

I am sure this will be on the docket, but don't expect it to get any attention until after the FA period. Hopefully right before the draft so we can focus on getting our rookies signed quickly as well.

Marques Colston want LONG TERM DEAL per KFFL

not as much as i want him to have one

It'll get done. Loomis has a lot on his plate right now - FA starts on March 3, then the draft. So he's trying to lock up guys scheduled to be UFAs. Then he's got to pursue, negotiate with, and ultimately sign some FAs. I'm sure a new deal for Colston will be the main focus after the draft picks are signed but before TC starts. Hopefully it will be handled behind closed doors like it should be. Things tend to go bad when it's handled in public.......

February 29th - Beginning of free agency and trading period (12:01 am eastern time)

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3665731

I read the article about this. Mickey makes sure to point out that he's not a FA, as in there isn't any urgency to get him done now. He mentions long term and then mentions short term plans and that Marques, Evans and Smith are all big parts of both of those plans. And while agree that successful teams "find" players that are very successful, in spite of the fact that they are not first day picks or they are signed as undrafted rookies-- although I think that it's important to have those situations with some of your best performers-- Marques Colston is grossly underpaid.

This thing where rookies are paid on their selection order needs to be adjusted so that Superstar type players can be compensated more quickly for their great play and 1st day busts aren't paid millions in spite of the fact their on the field performance is lousy.

As far as our GM, I hope he doesn't plan to milk Marques far as long as possible and thereby disenfranchise him so much so that Marques decides that he's better somewhere else. Not on this guy. Get him long term early. He's already said that he wouldn't rather be anywhere else in the league AND that these are probably the greatest fans in the league that pull for the Saints.

I hope they get this done even though by contract they haven't got to do anything other than demand that Marques honor the deal.

Last edited:
sign him before you have to francise tag him and he makes massive amounts of money. take away teams driving his price way up. look what tampa bay did to us with charles grant.

sign him before you have to francise tag him and he makes massive amounts of money. take away teams driving his price way up. look what tampa bay did to us with charles grant.

Yeah that worked really well for us

"I would love to because there is no other team that I would rather play for,"

:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom