Marquez Callaway (1 Viewer)

I love the signing. He went undrafted because he can't run many routes and has only proven to be a deep ball guy without burner speed, but his ability to high point and win those jump balls is rare and something you can't teach. Now let's see if he can learn the route tree and put himself in a position to see the field on game day and not just be a wow-catch practice guy.

That team was so bad that it’s hard to scout him. I like the qualities that he possesses watching what I could find. Looks fast enough, strong hands, high points the ball, has some shiftiness to him, and navigates through traffic well and blocks willingly.

My only question is his route running at this stage. It’s hard to gauge. Did he run the full route tree or did they limit him to a handful of routes? How well does he handle press coverage, and how well can he separate out of the break. Things we’ll find out in time.

who was this draftnik that has him at the #2 WR position ? Very lofty status, considering Jeudy, Lamb, Jefferson, etc are in the mix.
Yeah, that comment was a definite head scratcher. @sammymvpknight , are you sure your buddy had him at the #2 WR and not #22 or #32 WR? Don’t take this the wrong way, but #2???? That’s a stretch for sure. Just my $.02

Highlights always make the player look good...that's why there called highlights.

I'm not saying Callaway won't be a player, I'm just saying every draft people think they can spot the "FA UDFA GEM" because of players like Pierre Thomas, and low round picks like Colston but in all honesty those are the only two UDFA players who turned out to perform as starting caliber players for this team.

Actually, let's not forget about Lance Moore and Lance took a couple of years to develop.

We have Will Lutz (who came from the Ravens undrafted) and Taysom (who came from the Packers undrafted).

Plus we had Cadet, even Khiry Robinson and Chris Ivory were starting caliber players for us. We still have Josh Hill and now Deonte and Shy Tuttle who are pretty good for this team as well. So I don't think you can count out late rounders or UDFAs. The Saints have been great at finding diamonds in the rough. It may not happen every year but it certain seems to happen alot.

Last edited:
Everything I’ve read says he’s a 1-trick pony deep route WR. He could shine in the preseason with Winston and Hill throwing deep to him here and there.

The question is whether that’s all he’s capable, or if it was all that the Tennessee offense allowed him to do. He has nice size and looks capable of winning contested passes. He didn’t have a huge route tree.
Yeah, that comment was a definite head scratcher. @sammymvpknight , are you sure your buddy had him at the #2 WR and not #22 or #32 WR? Don’t take this the wrong way, but #2???? That’s a stretch for sure. Just my $.02

He had him at number two. He had reasons for doing so. He watches a ton of actual gamefilm and not just highlight videos. I like his lists because 1) he is definitely outside of the box, and 2) he often hits on guys that he feels strongly about. I personally don’t have Callaway that high. But since VanS had him so high I figured that I’d get his opinion because he clearly is seeing something different than the average about. Again, he has made some really bold claims in the past and was right. He was confident that Kamara would be the best RB from his draft class even before the Saints drafted him. He probably was the only guy in he world with that opinion. He also thought that Lamar Jackson would be the best QB in the NFL. He’s definitely not afraid to be different.

My biggest worry for him ( and other late round/ free agent) picks is that it may be very hard to truly evaluate them this season with current circumstances in mind
Feel very sorry for them, not sure what the solution is

VanS typically likes to highly rate players with elite traits. If someone is pretty good at everything, but doesn't stand out at anything, that player is likely to be rated low. So being well rounded is only a good thing if you have at least some elite qualities. With Kamara it was his acceleration, contact balance, receiving, and ability to slip tackles. There were a lot of question marks about Kamara coming into the league...durability, vision, ability to run between the tackles...but VanS felt confident that Kamara had enough elite qualities that he can build around them. That's why he gave Kamara the grade he received.

Callaway received an elite grade from VanS because he saw his elite hands, elite high pointing, and elite contest catch situations. He is a question mark regarding other important aspects of his game, including route running and ability to separate. But he felt strongly enough about his elite traits that he felt that he was at least good enough in the other facets of the game to become a good NFL starter. VanS also watched a bunch of Tennessee, he thinks that it a good program for finding underrated, talented players that are off the radar. So I have to trust that may he is seeing something that others are missing here.

Being an optimist makes me humble most of the time.

I live for the small schooler, the vastly underrated and the victims of circumstance. I love this time of year and the late rounders and UFDA's. Hope springs eternal.. and the smarter kids want to sign here because we have firmly established the philosophy of earning the job no matter where or if you were drafted.

If the dude had mad skills, somebody woulda drafted him. Let's hope all of this hype materializes into a solid player.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but this one of the dumbest opinions ever. If you were to go off that thought process, why didn't someone draft Joe Horn before round 5? Why didn't someone draft Shannon Sharpe before round 7? Why didn't someone draft Tom Brady before round 6?

Kurt Warner, John Randle, Dick Lane, Colston all went undrafted because they had no skill?

I'm sorry to make a dig or come off rude but I can keep going on and on to counter your argument, "if he had mad skills, somebody woulda drafted him"

I think based on talent he’s the best UDFA receiver we have signed with Brandon Coleman right there behind him

I mean straight from a draft, so Lance Moore or Willie Snead wouldn’t fit that category

Callaway received an elite grade from VanS because he saw his elite hands, elite high pointing, and elite contest catch situations. He is a question mark regarding other important aspects of his game, including route running and ability to separate. But he felt strongly enough about his elite traits that he felt that he was at least good enough in the other facets of the game to become a good NFL starter. VanS also watched a bunch of Tennessee, he thinks that it a good program for finding underrated, talented players that are off the radar. So I have to trust that may he is seeing something that others are missing here.
That was the only question that came up as I watched the hightlights. He wins contested balls which is great, but he seemed to lack separation (hence contested balls). Other than that, he looks good. It's possible he could be a stud with the quantity of good WRs in this draft and the fact that he was not in an ideal situation in Tennessee. I hope you are dead on.

VanS typically likes to highly rate players with elite traits. If someone is pretty good at everything, but doesn't stand out at anything, that player is likely to be rated low. So being well rounded is only a good thing if you have at least some elite qualities. With Kamara it was his acceleration, contact balance, receiving, and ability to slip tackles. There were a lot of question marks about Kamara coming into the league...durability, vision, ability to run between the tackles...but VanS felt confident that Kamara had enough elite qualities that he can build around them. That's why he gave Kamara the grade he received.

Thanks for the thread as well as your roster projections. I had just got done reading an article about the 12 UDFAs the Saints had just drafted and who will make the 53 man roster.

The writer was very high on Marquez. Looks like the next coming of Marques Colston, just a tad faster from what I saw on the highlights you posted. The writer said his potential is sky high and he has the chance to be the next great underrated WR. With Cook, Sanders and CGM on the field at the same time he will get his chances for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom