Marshall Faulk (1 Viewer)

ac4400cw

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
He may have not been a Saint, but he's making New Orleans proud!! Congratulations to Marshall Faulk on his induction into the NFL's Hall of Fame.

MarshallFaulkHallofFame2011.png

I only wish that Reggie Bush could develop into the player Marshall was in terms of being the NFL's most dynamic multi-purpose back. Similar skillset and Reggie is still young though he has not shown anything that would make any of us confident that this will happen. On the flipside, however, maybe with a restructured deal that will likely include incentives where he can make back some money, you never know.

The way he saw the field was just artistic. He is one of those rare players who can see things in slow motion and anticipate where a defender will be. He was always an enjoy to watch.

I remember watching him play for the Carver Rams at Pan American Stadium. On one play, he runs into the middle of the pile & all of a sudden, he's coming around the side & running for a touchdown. I thought the play was over until I saw this bolt of lightning run down the field!!

He had a great story about how he started out at QB because he was the smartest player on the team. After watching his wide-outs drop balls and his backs gain next to nothing, he just started running the ball!

It wasn't too much longer before the coach just switched him to RB. :hihi:

He also alluded to something I didn't realize.. per Wikipedia:
Payton wrapped two coaching stints at San Diego State University (1988-89 and 1992-93) around a stop at Indiana State (1990-91). During his second stretch with the Aztecs, Payton was running backs coach, working with Heisman Trophy runner-up Marshall Faulk before becoming quarterbacks coach.

He credited Payton for helping him to perfect his running style.

I'm sure Payton felt he had Marshal 2.0 in Reggie but Bush just does not have the vision that Marshall had.

I'm sure Payton felt he had Marshal 2.0 in Reggie but Bush just does not have the vision that Marshall had.

I do not know if I totally agree with that though I understand where the perspective emerges. One of Bush's strenghts coming out of USC was his vision. In fact, his vision and anticipation skills were right there with Faulk's when he came out of San Diego State. I think part of the problem for Bush is he has not learned how to be an NFL back. You know, some people argue that you cannot learn to play QB in the NFL holding a clipboard on the sideline. Likewise, it is difficult to become a more effective runner and to rely on things such as vision and anticipation when you do not get enough touches. THIS IS NOT MEANT TO ENGENDER AN ARGUMENT ON WHETHER OR NOT BUSH DESERVES MORE TOUCHES. In many ways, touches are earned. But I go back to Bush's rookie season. First game, 15 carries, 68 yards. Next game, 6 touches, 5 yards. That sort of inconsistency in touches in the running game, along with his own lack of consistency, has hurt his development as a running back. You have to feed a guy the ball as a running back. Over time, they begin to feel it more than think through it. It becomes second nature. Most backs will tell you that you need 15 carries just to get into a rhythm.

There are times when I look at Bush and I think we know who he is--a glorified utilility back who will have a few moments here and there as a runner but not the consistency that comes with the great ones; and then there are times when I wonder if any of us truly know. In 2009, he looked good running the ball. Same in the playoffs. And even this past preseason, he looked like he could be a very good runner. He showed flashes in that game against the Texans. Then he goes out, barely gets touches in the first game and then gets injured (yet again) against the Niners. You say to yourself, maybe Payton is being smart by not giving Bush too much of a load to carry since he has gotten injured a lot. Then you think about the fact that the injuries have come mainly on special teams plays. I don't know what to think of Bush anymore. I sometimes go back to his USC tapes and I see a guy who is more talented than has been shown in this league as a running back. He's no bust and produces when healthy. But strictly as a runner, he has talent that he displayed at USC that was more than what we have seen in the NFL and that cannot be simply reduced to playing in the Pac-10. Otherwise, Stephen Jackson, Maurice Jones-Drew, and even Marshawn Lynch would be having similar problems.

Right now, I think this team needs another back and I like Mark Ingram a lot. And yet, when you see how Andy Reid uses McCoy (similar build as Bush) and how Faulk was used, you say, it is not impossible fo Bush to be a solid runner. There have been games I have watched with McCoy where he struggles, but continues to get opportunities. And then, I cannot fault Payton as if he's just being impatient with Bush because he coached Faulk and he had Tiki Barber so he knows how to maximize the talents of a player with a skillset like Bush.

In 2008, Payton seemed to use Bush much like Reid does with McCoy. And then he got hurt. 2009 he looked good but had the early season set back due to the injury after practice against the Texans. And then this year, he looked great but got hurt. It's unfortunate because Bush works hard and is a great guy. And you wonder, sometimes, what plans Payton might have for using Bush that suddenly go awry because of an injury. Then you look at Bush's performance this year and you say that he cannot be expected to add any value to our running game. That he cannot be counted on. That in the playoffs, we went with Julian Jones over him. But then I also try to keep in mind that he was coming off a broken leg and I see how long it took Shockey to recover from a broken leg. I look at the Tampa game and see how well Bush ran when given the opportunity and how the very next week, we flipped the script. It is almost as if Payton sometimes second guesses himself with Bush. Bush dominates Arizona, we cut back his touches against Minnesota. He runs wild against Tampa, we feature Julian Jones early. I do have to give Payton the benefit of the doubt that maybe he does not want all the pressure to be on Bush though at some point Bush has to be allowed to be a man in this league. And so I return to my earlier assertion. Can you learn to be an effective runner and show the necessary vision if you are not given the chance play-to-play and week-to-week? And maybe that question where it concerns Bush is confounding since you are looking at a guy who has all the talent in the world.

He's 25. He has time to turn things around. And yet, based on his past performance, he might not ever get a chance (with us) to prove he can be a consistently good runner in this league. Our window is still open. And with a solid running game we can win another Superbowl. Chris Ivory has shown the back he can be when healthy. And a guy like Ingram could really help. So do you not look to improve the running game giving Bush another chance? I don't know that we can afford to take that chance even as I continue to wonder in the back of my mind what still could be with Reggie. Maybe it is wishful thinking...or maybe Bush's USC days have clouded my own vision as to how to regard him as a professional.

I do not know if I totally agree with that though I understand where the perspective emerges. One of Bush's strenghts coming out of USC was his vision. In fact, his vision and anticipation skills were right there with Faulk's when he came out of San Diego State. I think part of the problem for Bush is he has not learned how to be an NFL back. You know, some people argue that you cannot learn to play QB in the NFL holding a clipboard on the sideline. Likewise, it is difficult to become a more effective runner and to rely on things such as vision and anticipation when you do not get enough touches. THIS IS NOT MEANT TO ENGENDER AN ARGUMENT ON WHETHER OR NOT BUSH DESERVES MORE TOUCHES. In many ways, touches are earned. But I go back to Bush's rookie season. First game, 15 carries, 68 yards. Next game, 6 touches, 5 yards. That sort of inconsistency in touches in the running game, along with his own lack of consistency, has hurt his development as a running back. You have to feed a guy the ball as a running back. Over time, they begin to feel it more than think through it. It becomes second nature. Most backs will tell you that you need 15 carries just to get into a rhythm.

There are times when I look at Bush and I think we know who he is--a glorified utilility back who will have a few moments here and there as a runner but not the consistency that comes with the great ones; and then there are times when I wonder if any of us truly know. In 2009, he looked good running the ball. Same in the playoffs. And even this past preseason, he looked like he could be a very good runner. He showed flashes in that game against the Texans. Then he goes out, barely gets touches in the first game and then gets injured (yet again) against the Niners. You say to yourself, maybe Payton is being smart by not giving Bush too much of a load to carry since he has gotten injured a lot. Then you think about the fact that the injuries have come mainly on special teams plays. I don't know what to think of Bush anymore. I sometimes go back to his USC tapes and I see a guy who is more talented than has been shown in this league as a running back. He's no bust and produces when healthy. But strictly as a runner, he has talent that he displayed at USC that was more than what we have seen in the NFL and that cannot be simply reduced to playing in the Pac-10. Otherwise, Stephen Jackson, Maurice Jones-Drew, and even Marshawn Lynch would be having similar problems.

Right now, I think this team needs another back and I like Mark Ingram a lot. And yet, when you see how Andy Reid uses McCoy (similar build as Bush) and how Faulk was used, you say, it is not impossible fo Bush to be a solid runner. There have been games I have watched with McCoy where he struggles, but continues to get opportunities. And then, I cannot fault Payton as if he's just being impatient with Bush because he coached Faulk and he had Tiki Barber so he knows how to maximize the talents of a player with a skillset like Bush.

In 2008, Payton seemed to use Bush much like Reid does with McCoy. And then he got hurt. 2009 he looked good but had the early season set back due to the injury after practice against the Texans. And then this year, he looked great but got hurt. It's unfortunate because Bush works hard and is a great guy. And you wonder, sometimes, what plans Payton might have for using Bush that suddenly go awry because of an injury. Then you look at Bush's performance this year and you say that he cannot be expected to add any value to our running game. That he cannot be counted on. That in the playoffs, we went with Julian Jones over him. But then I also try to keep in mind that he was coming off a broken leg and I see how long it took Shockey to recover from a broken leg. I look at the Tampa game and see how well Bush ran when given the opportunity and how the very next week, we flipped the script. It is almost as if Payton sometimes second guesses himself with Bush. Bush dominates Arizona, we cut back his touches against Minnesota. He runs wild against Tampa, we feature Julian Jones early. I do have to give Payton the benefit of the doubt that maybe he does not want all the pressure to be on Bush though at some point Bush has to be allowed to be a man in this league. And so I return to my earlier assertion. Can you learn to be an effective runner and show the necessary vision if you are not given the chance play-to-play and week-to-week? And maybe that question where it concerns Bush is confounding since you are looking at a guy who has all the talent in the world.

He's 25. He has time to turn things around. And yet, based on his past performance, he might not ever get a chance (with us) to prove he can be a consistently good runner in this league. Our window is still open. And with a solid running game we can win another Superbowl. Chris Ivory has shown the back he can be when healthy. And a guy like Ingram could really help. So do you not look to improve the running game giving Bush another chance? I don't know that we can afford to take that chance even as I continue to wonder in the back of my mind what still could be with Reggie. Maybe it is wishful thinking...or maybe Bush's USC days have clouded my own vision as to how to regard him as a professional.

Well, Marshall had the same complaints he said when he was with the Colts until he realized the problem was with himself. No matter how many touches u get u have to make the most of it. Not to mention his durability, which I believe is a major reason his touches have been limited.

Bush has had countless opportunities to shine, and he has....sometimes. But mostly he has been disappointing. To me atleast.

And his vision sucks, this ain't college. If Reggie had PT's vision he would be up there with Marshall.

I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. I remember looking in the newspaper to see what Faulk did at SD State. He's one of the best guys on TV, but if he ever wanted to coach RBs, I would hope we'd give him an opportunity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom