Marshon Lattimore was an excellent investment and some other snap judgements. (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Terry McLaurin is a dangerous WR, and he is in the mold of WRs that typically give the Saints CBs trouble.

Test passed for Lattimore as he was the reason the Saints were able to force the Redskins to use other players to beat them, and put the weight of the game on Heineke to make plays.

Through the early portion of the game announcers highlighted the number missed opportunities for Heneike.

Latt had six Passes defenses… SIX.

I’m not sure if it’s Lattimore maturing or Kris Richards or some combination of both but he’s balling. Absolutely blanketed his former college teammate.

Random thoughts

1. Winston looks good in an attacking offense with a good deal of PA mixed in. Announcers compared Heneike to Brett Favre a couple times in the game but also pointed out Favre made plays when it counted let’s see if Heneike can do it.

By the end of the game it was Jameis Winston he was lauding for making plays for his team when it counted it.

It was Jameis who had a Favre-like game.

He’s going to get you in trouble doing bone headed things but his ability to respond after turnovers is a plus. There was an infographic up a few weeks ago that showed his numbers after an INT.

Winstons got moxie

2. Pete Werner is fun to watch and was really productive with 13 Total tackles 8 solo to lead the defense. Still, I think their edge run defense and overall coverage of RBs and TE’s improve when Kwon Alexander returns. The chemistry that he and Davis play with cannot be understated and is akin to a Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis dynamic.

3. Deonte Harris is going to be a problem in this offense once MT returns but I don’t think anyone benefits more from a Michael Thomas return than Marquez Calloway. He’s better than most teams #2 CB. I could argue Winston but Thomas reputation will precede him a for a few weeks before he’s actually becomes effective. It’ll be his attention more than his play the helps the team initially

4. Onyemata and Davenport returning plus the continued development of Payton Turner is going to boost this defenses pass-rush later in the season.

5. Speaking of pass rush, Cam Jordans sacks are going to depend on the D-Line getting healthy. Why you ask? Fewer snaps via a deeper rotation, and more attention on other players Like Onyemata and Davenport, will make him more effective later in games.

6. Paulson Adebo really stabilized himself after last weeks performance didn’t he?

7. Kamara going back to a sniper role when the Offense gets healthy is going to be better for this team. Right now he’s having to be the Machine Gun of the offense, ie…leaned on heavily to keep them on schedule. I however like that his touches in the run game went down this week. You need him as fresh as possible for any type of late season or playoff push.

8. Losing Taysom hurts, in a big way because he’s your #2 runner after losing Jones. Hopefully he’s ok for his and the teams sake. Devine Ozigbo isn’t the answer as a ball carrier.

9. Demario Davis continues to be the lynchpin of that Defense. Him, Marcus Williams and Jenkins are your three glue players in the back seven of that defense. They keep communication tight and are consistent in being where they’re supposed to be within in the defense.

10. Need to get the penalties cleaned up as there were far too many.

11. More injuries on the offensive line can’t be a good thing.

12. It was nice to see Adam Trautman involved in the passing game. He seems most effective at providing quality plays as a 4th or 5th option in the receiving game.

13. Kenny Stills also best fits as a 4th/5th option vs 3rd as he was on today with 5 targets only resulting in 2 Catches and 17 yards.

14. Some weeks Dennis Allen will get outcoached. It happens far less than we give him credit for. His crew is ranked 2nd in INTs with 7 and their bread and butter is their run defense. They rank 3rd in ypc with 3.1 and they limit chunk yards on the ground having only allowed one run of 20+ yards and 0 of 40+. You can also consider them a swarming defense with a 109 assisted tackles good for 7th in the league accounting for 40% of their total tackles (268) - 3rd among those seven.

These defensive identities are important because it’s a direct counter to offensive blunders and stalls. They’ll also get plenty of opportunities at errant throws on 3rd and long because of their elite run defense.

Their biggest enemy is health and attrition. They are middle of the pack in scrimmage snaps(255). Again I can’t stress how important they are/will be to balancing out Jameis mistakes. Especially late in the season where those hold more weight. Have to do a better job at protecting them.

15. Two words…Blake Gillikin

Enjoy the win, digest it..and go into the bye feeling good about your Saints and their potential to be in good position to improve on their win total in a couple weeks. Sean Payton’s teams have proven to be dangerous coming out of a bye and their MNF record isn’t anything to scoff at either as they’ll be facing a Wilson-less Seahawks.

WhoDat

Last edited:
I'll be honest...I was really concerned about how Lattimore would play after getting paid. Somehow he has gotten better.
Having a pending trial can do that sometimes. Seriously though, he's a top 5 corner and I was confused that people suggested we shouldn't sign him

I'll be honest...I was really concerned about how Lattimore would play after getting paid. Somehow he has gotten better.
His biggest detraction had been consistency his first three years. Typically that trait gets a player red flagged for being a risk after receiving a contract.

He’s bucked that notion wholeheartedly

The Saints have never had CB production like this . Ever. And I have seen all of them from Dave Waymer all the way to today. Years ago he would have gotten away from the team , Saints are signing and extending all the right core pieces and it's a blessing . Lattimore deserves every penny he is paid and then some.

Announcers compared Heneike to Brett Favre a couple times in the game but also pointed out Favre made plays when it counted let’s see if Heneike can do it.

Whoa, did they really compare the two!?! I mute almost every game cause of stuff said like this. I guess they both breathe and have to cut their toe nails. That’s where the similarities stop for me.

Test passed for Lattimore as he was the reason the Saints were able to force the Redskins to use other players to beat them, and put the weight of the game on Heineke to make plays.

Through the early portion of the game announcers highlighted the number missed opportunities for Heneike.

Latt had six Passes defenses… SIX.

I’m not sure if it’s Lattimore maturing or Kris Richards or some combination of both but he’s balling. Absolutely blanketed his former college teammate.

Random thoughts

1. Winston looks good in an attacking offense with a good deal of PA mixed in. Announcers compared Heneike to Brett Favre a couple times in the game but also pointed out Favre made plays when it counted let’s see if Heneike can do it.

By the end of the game it was Jameis Winston he was lauding for making plays for his team when it counted it.

It was Jameis who had a Favre-like game.

He’s going to get you in trouble doing bone headed things but his ability to respond after turnovers is a plus. There was an infographic up a few weeks ago that showed his numbers after an INT.

Winstons got moxie

2. Pete Werner is fun to watch and was really productive with 13 Total tackles 8 solo to lead the defense. Still, I think their edge run defense and overall coverage of RBs and TE’s improve when Kwon Alexander returns. The chemistry that he and Davis play with cannot be understated and is akin to a Navarro Bowman and Patrick Willis dynamic.

3. Deonte Harris is going to be a problem in this offense once MT returns but I don’t think anyone benefits more from a Michael Thomas return than Marquez Calloway. He’s better than most teams #2 CB. I could argue Winston but Thomas reputation will precede him a for a few weeks before he’s actually becomes effective. It’ll be his attention more than his play the helps the team initially

4. Onyemata and Davenport returning plus the continued development of Payton Turner is going to boost this defenses pass-rush later in the season.

5. Speaking of pass rush, Cam Jordans sacks are going to depend on the D-Line getting healthy. Why you ask? Fewer snaps via a deeper rotation, and more attention on other players Like Onyemata and Davenport, will make him more effective later in games.

6. Paulson Adebo really stabilized himself after last weeks performance didn’t he?

7. Kamara going back to a sniper role when the Offense gets healthy is going to be better for this team. Right now he’s having to be the Machine Gun of the offense, ie…leaned on heavily to keep them on schedule. I however like that his touches in the run game went down this week. You need him as fresh as possible for any type of late season or playoff push.

8. Losing Taysom hurts, in a big way because he’s your #2 runner after losing Jones. Hopefully he’s ok for his and the teams sake. Devine Ozigbo isn’t the answer as a ball carrier.

9. Demario Davis continues to be the lynchpin of that Defense. Him, Marcus Williams and Jenkins are your three glue players in the back seven of that defense. They keep communication tight and are consistent in being where they’re supposed to be within in the defense.

10. Need to get the penalties cleaned up as there were far too many.

11. More injuries on the offensive line can’t be a good thing.

12. It was nice to see Adam Trautman involved in the passing game. He seems most effective at providing quality plays as a 4th or 5th option in the receiving game.

13. Kenny Stills also best fits as a 4th/5th option vs 3rd as he was on today with 5 targets only resulting in 2 Catches and 17 yards.

14. Some weeks Dennis Allen will get outcoached. It happens far less than we give him credit for. His crew is ranked 2nd in INTs with 7 and their bread and butter is their run defense. They rank 3rd in ypc with 3.1 and they limit chunk yards on the ground having only allowed one run of 20+ yards and 0 of 40+. You can also consider them a swarming defense with a 109 assisted tackles good for 7th in the league accounting for 40% of their total tackles (268) - 3rd among those seven.

These defensive identities are important because it’s a direct counter to offensive blunders and stalls. They’ll also get plenty of opportunities at errant throws on 3rd and long because of their elite run defense.

Their biggest enemy is health and attrition. They are middle of the pack in scrimmage snaps(255). Again I can’t stress how important they are/will be to balancing out Jameis mistakes. Especially late in the season where those hold more weight. Have to do a better job at protecting them.

15. Two words…Blake Gillikin

Enjoy the win, digest it..and go into the bye feeling good about your Saints and their potential to be in good position to improve on their win total in a couple weeks. Sean Payton’s teams have proven to be dangerous coming out of a bye and their MNF record isn’t anything to scoff at either as they’ll be facing a Wilson-less Seahawks.

WhoDat
Ellias I'm glad you are out of your hiatus. Great points !! I don't always agree with all of your points, but I agree more than I disagree!!! Demario is not 💯 right now. The post newborn elation and fatigue might have him in disarray .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom