Martel Van Zant (1 Viewer)

fish321

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
There was a little talk about him a couple of months ago on this board but for those of you who missed it I wanted to mention this guy again. He is a cornerback from Oklahoma st., is 6-2 220 and runs the 40 in the 4.4 range. This guy was essentially a lock down corner there and was born without eardrums. While I am certain that having a deaf player on your team causes some complications with calling in plays, among other things, it isnt unprecedented and I hope this guy gets a shot somewhere. He has all the measurables you want in a corner and has not let anything get in the way of what he wants. When he was not invited to the combine he went to indianapolis with his interpreter on his own dime and met as many gm's, scouts, and coaches standing in front of the elevator.

I just thought it was a great story of character that should be shared with as many people as possible. He seems to me like a guy who deserves a fair shot to make it in the NFL and may be a real gem for some team that is able to look past the fact that he is deaf. We should all wish him luck. Here is the article should anyone like to read it. SI.com - Writers - The Bonus: Oklahoma State's Martel Van Zant speaks volumes with his play - Friday November 10, 2006 11:36AM

Great read there
It really makes you hope that the dude gets a shot somewhere
Be great to see him end us somewhere as an UDFA

I am a current student at Oklahoma St. and have seen Martel play all 4 years he has been here. He is a physical specimen at his size and speed, and honestly looks more like a linebacker than a cornerback. He definately was not a lockdown corner while he was here but he was always solid in coverage and did not give up too many big plays that I can remember. He most likely will not be drafted but will catch on somewhere and at least give other players a good run for their money in training camp. It is really interesting to watch him and his interpreter during games, and he is able to communicate just fine with his teammates. (In fact he inspired a lot of the team to take sign language classes). Not only is he a fine student athlete but he is a great person as well. Just wanted to fill those in for anyone who is interested.

Needs about 10 more pounds on him for WLB, but some have gotten away with being 220 at W. Maybe pick up as a UDFA and see where he lands?

Reminds me a little of Pierce Holt of the 49ers in the 80s. Excellent DL who was blind in one eye.

Silvio can play CB?

Silviodante.jpg

Wow, I really wish that kid all the best. Would be a great story if he's given a chance and succeeds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom