Martez Wilson ready for breakout season in Saints new 3-4 scheme (1 Viewer)

look at this dude, he is 6"4 260 solid muscle, how are u that tall, muscular and run a 4.4, freak. perfect build for a SOLB

I don't see how Mingo, and even Jones, are better at either LB spot than Wilson and Galette. I like Wilson as a WOLB. What game was that last year that he basically shut down the other team's offense at the end of the game?

my question is say we draft an olb like jarvis, dion jordan or mingo, who starts out of the 3 between gallette, tez, and our draft pick? For some reason i still think we will draft the BPA which could be sheldon richardson and have him play DE for us.

I'm sorry, but it's "show me" time for Wilson. I'm not buying anymore hype on this kid! He's got to do it on the field! This appears to be the best scheme fit for him yet, but he still has to make it happen ON THE FIELD. The physical gifts are there, now we need to see some production!

I don't see how Mingo, and even Jones, are better at either LB spot than Wilson and Galette. I like Wilson as a WOLB. What game was that last year that he basically shut down the other team's offense at the end of the game?

philly. tez would be fine at wolb but then we wasted 4 million on gallette

It was the Chargers game. Their OT got banged up, and Tez embarrassed him in crunch time.

I'm sorry, but it's "show me" time for Wilson. I'm not buying anymore hype on this kid! He's got to do it on the field! This appears to be the best scheme fit for him yet, but he still has to make it happen ON THE FIELD. The physical gifts are there, now we need to see some production!

agree, but he was in yet another scheme tha was bad for him and got limited snaps, this year he is set up to succeed, hopefully he starts and this will be the year the jury is out on him, its do or die time for him, im hoping he succeeds. he has all the tools.

It was the Chargers game. Their OT got banged up, and Tez embarrassed him in crunch time.

oh ya it was the chargers, thought it was philly but that was cam jordan's break out game, ya tez just embarrased geathers, ripping under him and crushing rivers. I loved it.

agree, but he was in yet another scheme tha was bad for him and got limited snaps, this year he is set up to succeed, hopefully he starts and this will be the year the jury is out on him, its do or die time for him, im hoping he succeeds. he has all the tools.
Good post.

This guy does indeed appear to have the necessary tools. I really thought they were going to cut Will Smith and Tez would be the heir apparent.

I would hate to lose this guy and he goes somewhere else to be super freak.
This board would literally melt down if that happened.
I advocate giving him his chance to learn how to beast.

SD. He ended the game with a strip sack I believe.

yes but he was vastly misused.

If he plays SOLB he will yet again be vastly misused. He is a ILB...not a SOLB.

Other than the guys height, weight, and an obvious need at the position...what in the world gives people the idea that he will be a good SOLB? I don't get it.

He has done all of his damage in the NFL blitzing up the gut from the ILB position. Has he even played a down in man coverage against a starting TE in his NFL career? If he has...I certainly haven't noticed it.

He has tight hips which are going to give him problems running the arch and in man coverage. He also has a questionable football IQ...which is NOT a good thing for what is maybe the most complex linebacker position.
The man is an freak of nature when playing in straight lines. I am not sure that there is an ILB with a better combination of speed/strength/quickness in the NFL. He has been like a heat seeking missile firing through the A gap. The idea of sending him to SOLB is short-sighted. Put the man in the position to thrive: WILB. He would be able to free-lance more than any other LB position. He would be covered by a 3-tech...allowing him to focus on what he does best: 1) zone coverage 2) filling running lanes with his length 3) annihilating QB with his A/B gap blitz

SD. He ended the game with a strip sack I believe.

Wilson had three sacks last season:

1st- Gaither, the LT from SD, had a serious leg injury and practically couldn't move. Wilson simply ran around him without much of a contest. You or I may have been able to collect that sack/fumble

2nd- Matt Ryan tripped over his own goofy feet and fell to the ground. Wilson was simply the closest guy and touched him down. You or I may also have been able to collect that sack.

3rd- Against the Eagles he was playing ILB...in a play reminiscent of what he was doing late in 2011 under GW...he blitzed up the A gap and quickly brought down Vick.

Of the three sacks...which best demonstrated Wilson's best attributes? Without a doubt...the third. He is a ILB, not an OLB.

Sammy, what makes you believe he has a low football IQ? I don't ever remember any Saint coaches expressing his inability to learn his assignment. However, you do have to put him as any player for that matter in a position to succeed.

I know there's been some speculation on whether he'd play inside or out. The article makes it sound like he's pencilled in squarely at SOLB.

Hoping this is the right answer to put him in a position to excel. He definitely has "the goods", now he and the coaching staff just have to make it happen on the field.

Its been nothing more than speculation...just based upon his skillset. However, i think its been obvious for the longest that he would be penciled in @SOLB. It fits his skillset the best besides WILB (which is like ROLB in a 4-3 and u wouldn't play him there in a 4-3..so it makes no sense other than his speed etc to play him there in the 3-4 under) and as i said b4 he was drafted as a SAM in 3G's scheme. The role is the exact same in the 3-4 under so it seemed destined for him. ITs just the ? is...is he a good SAM. We've had so little to go on that its a bit of a projection. I think we'll either draft someone or bring in a veteran.

This is why Victor Butler makes sense as he can play both WOLB/SOLB and would provide good insurance for both and a knowledge of the scheme. It depends on if the Saints are interested...they may decided to draft their own

my question is say we draft an olb like jarvis, dion jordan or mingo, who starts out of the 3 between gallette, tez, and our draft pick? For some reason i still think we will draft the BPA which could be sheldon richardson and have him play DE for us.

I think Jordan and Ansah have the potential to be better than Wilson/Galette. Jordan especially has the physical and mental ability to be a 1st tier player.

Jarvis Jones seems to have a low ceiling and high floor. But the biggest thing I see with Jones is that his play is sloppy and that also reflects in his reported approach to the game.

Mingo is physically 2-3 years away from being a starter and he may never be a complete 3-4 rush end. Forget about him playing anywhere in the 4-3.

Wilson had three sacks last season:

1st- Gaither, the LT from SD, had a serious leg injury and practically couldn't move. Wilson simply ran around him without much of a contest. You or I may have been able to collect that sack/fumble

2nd- Matt Ryan tripped over his own goofy feet and fell to the ground. Wilson was simply the closest guy and touched him down. You or I may also have been able to collect that sack.

3rd- Against the Eagles he was playing ILB...in a play reminiscent of what he was doing late in 2011 under GW...he blitzed up the A gap and quickly brought down Vick.

Of the three sacks...which best demonstrated Wilson's best attributes? Without a doubt...the third. He is a ILB, not an OLB.
With the way you described it, yes. You really made him sound like a wash up on the first two examples and like the hulk on the 3rd.

But is that how his season really went?
I highly doubt it.

Do you have video clips to show he got his sacks against a guy who was injured and the QB fell in the 2nd senario.

I don't have the best memory in the world, but I do remember him flying around the corner several times to nearly get to the quarterback. If a few breaks would have went his way, he could have had at least double that many sacks.

Also, mucho sacks is not the only way those guys are measured.
Also #2, IIRC he wasn't even a full time player under Spags. (But he should have been)

If the guy just sucks, so be it.
But you're just poo poing him for the sake of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom