Martez Wilson the next Pat Swilling (1 Viewer)

I've noticed that its always blasphemy to compare a new, young player to a legendary player of old.

Legendary players of the past can never be rivaled. No one will ever measure up to them. Just like how everyone says no one can ever be as good as jim brown. Just playing decades ago automatically makes you above life.

Just like how everyone outside of the Saints fanbase says Marino is better than Brees because he happened to play in an earlier period. I think its silly that the rule of someone playing before another automatically makes them better.
It's silly to compare Wilson to Swilling, and that's the end of it really.

From 1986 to 1998 Swilling has 107.5 sacks, 6 interceptions and god knows how many other stats that were not recorded back then. He went to the pro bowl 5 times, was a 1st team all-pro 2 times and a 2nd team all-pro 2 times. He also won a DPOY award.

Wilson has a grand total of 4 sacks in 2 seasons. And well, that's it really. He's proven nothing so far, only that he's a better athlete than a football player.

I understand comparing drew brees to marino, or bryant to jordan, but comparing wilson to swilling is like doing a austin rivers-isiah thomas (the old one) comparison.

Swilling was good but alot of that is because Rickey was on the other side. Who on the other side is going to make Martez the next Swilling.

I agree. I lived in Detroit when Swilling left for the Lions. Not having Ricky, Sam and Vaughn showed Pat to not be as effective. The four together was definatly something special. That unit could have been the poster child for synergy. When they were together, WOW. Pat as the only elite LB was able to be schemed out an became less effective.

Of course, playing for the Lions didn't help either :ezbill:

Guy makes spotty plays. Should only improve with experience. I know I know, we say this every year. I just think the guy needs more experience/playing time. Sky is the limit from there.

Remember...............NEW defense this year......wait and see :9:

If AB = A. Brooks than there is a problem with your list. You forgot A. Manning, R. Jackson, W. Roaf, J. Horn, S. Mills, S. Knight , and about 25 other guys that should be mentioned ahead of him. I am not an AB hater (he is probably the 3rd best QB for the saints...yes above Hebert) but to have him that high on your list...WOW!

He didn't rank them according to how good he thinks they are, he ranked his favorites.

Favorite doesn't mean best, it just means favorite.

My favorites...
1. Mark Ingram
2. Roman Harper
3. Pierre Thomas
4. Junior Galette
5. Joe Morgan/Travaris Cadet

It's silly to compare Wilson to Swilling, and that's the end of it really.

From 1986 to 1998 Swilling has 107.5 sacks, 6 interceptions and god knows how many other stats that were not recorded back then. He went to the pro bowl 5 times, was a 1st team all-pro 2 times and a 2nd team all-pro 2 times. He also won a DPOY award.

Wilson has a grand total of 4 sacks in 2 seasons. And well, that's it really. He's proven nothing so far, only that he's a better athlete than a football player.

I understand comparing drew brees to marino, or bryant to jordan, but comparing wilson to swilling is like doing a austin rivers-isiah thomas (the old one) comparison.

This got me thinking..........maybe I'll start the new thread and ask this question: Do you think Pat Swilling is worthy of Canton with those numbers? I'll just leave the question here for right now.

If AB = A. Brooks than there is a problem with your list. You forgot A. Manning, R. Jackson, W. Roaf, J. Horn, S. Mills, S. Knight , and about 25 other guys that should be mentioned ahead of him. I am not an AB hater (he is probably the 3rd best QB for the saints...yes above Hebert) but to have him that high on your list...WOW!

Yea, those are just my favorites. Obviously, not a rank of who was best player. I dont want to get into an AB argument, but people tend to forget just how bad we were before Haslet took over. By those standards, last season would have been decent. But he gets a bad wrap because he made such goofy mistakes, and his name wasnt Jake Delhomme. But imo, always exciting to watch.

Just saying the great man's name brings back so many great memories.

Good Old '56 - as fast as Bolt, as ferocious as Tyson. I think Martez could be a pretty good player but I think we may have to wait a very long time before we see Pat's like again.

Attachments

• pat swilling.jpg
    pat swilling.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 11

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom