Marvel: Black Widow (May 2020) - Mod Edit - Now July, 9, 2021 (3 Viewers)

He looked to be mostly cgi in Black Widow. They can go that route, or they can write the story so that he's stuck in Rulk form and they won't even need to imitate the voice.
I should have specified, sorry - I did mean under the assumption they keep him in Rulk form

Really liked the movie. Still sucks they had to wait until after she died to make it

On another note, I'm pretty interested in that Snake Eyes movie based on the trailer.

A little disappoint in the route taken with Taskmaster. I understand the reason with the story and all, but he is such a great character in the comics.

When Yelena did the hero drop pose herself I fell out laughing. Really like the way the wrote the character.

Really liked the movie. Still sucks they had to wait until after she died to make it

On another note, I'm pretty interested in that Snake Eyes movie based on the trailer.

A little disappoint in the route taken with Taskmaster. I understand the reason with the story and all, but he is such a great character in the comics.

When Yelena did the hero drop pose herself I fell out laughing. Really like the way the wrote the character.
Her response to herself was great too.

I ended up caving and paying the $30 to watch it last night. I thought it was fine. Not great. But that surprise cameo was amazing.

Nothing to see here. Just trying to torture the 'waiters' a little

While I definitely would've preferred the traditional merc Tony Masters Taskmaster, I was okay with the twist they put on the character. It fit the story better than Dreykov hiring a random mercenary when he has a floating castle full of assassins with no choice but to do what he says would have. I just wish we would've gotten more. Every action sequence the character had was shown in the trailers. Hopefully Taskmaster has a future in the MCU. Since it seems at least partially tech-based, maybe Val can replicate the technology for a willing former SHIELD agent to create her own Taskmaster for her team.

My issue with Taskmaster is that I would have liked more obvious fighting style mimicry. I wanted to think "oh, that's an Iron Man move, wow that's Thor, etc". Maybe even a berserker Hulk rage that was choreographed exactly like a scene from Incredible Hulk or Avengers. Sure, there was a bit of Cap, Black Panther, and Black Widow (and I guess Hawkeye since she shot a box and arrow), but other than that not much else I could put my finger on. This leads me to feel that they under-utilized the character's power-set.

I did enjoy the movie. Low-B for me, middle of the pack for Marvel movies, but I can't quite say which MCU movies would be immediately above and below BW.

I'm not familiar with the character from the comic books, so I don't care if it's Putin's daughter or Thanos or Jubilee. My issue with the concept of Taskmaster is that it's a largely useless ability in most superhero situations. Oh, you can fight like Hulk? Good luck smashing with your normal woman muscles that have at one point been ravaged by fire. Imitating Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, and even Captain America's fighting styles would serve no purpose without the, in some cases literal God-like strength.

Last edited:
My issue with Taskmaster is that I would have liked more obvious fighting style mimicry. I wanted to think "oh, that's an Iron Man move, wow that's Thor, etc". Maybe even a berserker Hulk rage that was choreographed exactly like a scene from Incredible Hulk or Avengers. Sure, there was a bit of Cap, Black Panther, and Black Widow (and I guess Hawkeye since she shot a box and arrow), but other than that not much else I could put my finger on. This leads me to feel that they under-utilized the character's power-set.

I did enjoy the movie. Low-B for me, middle of the pack for Marvel movies, but I can't quite say which MCU movies would be immediately above and below BW.

Taskmaster was kind of a waste of a great comic-book villain IMO. I enjoyed the movie, but I left the theater kind of feeling like it was a True Value version of The Winter Soldier complete with a climax inside of a massive base falling to Earth. It was good, but I do feel like they left a lot on the table especially considering it was Scarlett's last hurrah in the MCU.

This is the first movie I've seen in a theater since December of 2019. I enjoyed it just for that reason alone. I thought it was a solid B. Probably not a movie I'd re-watch multiple times like some of the other Marvel flicks, though.
Yeah, while maybe not for everyone, this one is definitely something I'll be watching again. But probably not until I binge this Phase after it's completed.

I might watch again sooner if a family member wants to see it at home.

I enjoyed it. 7/10. Would have been 8 out of 10 if not for using a Nirvana song :p Seriously though, while Scarlett did just fine, both Florence Pugh and David Harbour acted circles around her. I know Scarlett is eye candy for some, but man Florence has her beat for me. Secondly, as a big, big comics fan, I was really really bummed by Taskmaster. Let me be clear, I have zero issues with it being a woman. When you have Natasha and Yelena all kicking arse in these movies, there is no reason why Taskmaster can't be a woman. My issue is that they made her a cyborg mind controlled patsy. The story would not have suffered at all if you had made Taskmaster what he/she is, a hired mercenary with a photogenic memory who was able to mimic fighting styles. Some versions of Taskmaster in the comic has him with a wit similar to Deadpools. So much wasted opportunity here, that I actively hope we get a different version some time in the future. Loved the cameo mention of Crimson Dynamo and the appearance of Ursa. Maybe a D+ Winter Guard show in the future?

I enjoyed it. 7/10. Would have been 8 out of 10 if not for using a Nirvana song :p Seriously though, while Scarlett did just fine, both Florence Pugh and David Harbour acted circles around her. I know Scarlett is eye candy for some, but man Florence has her beat for me. Secondly, as a big, big comics fan, I was really really bummed by Taskmaster. Let me be clear, I have zero issues with it being a woman. When you have Natasha and Yelena all kicking arse in these movies, there is no reason why Taskmaster can't be a woman. My issue is that they made her a cyborg mind controlled patsy. The story would not have suffered at all if you had made Taskmaster what he/she is, a hired mercenary with a photogenic memory who was able to mimic fighting styles. Some versions of Taskmaster in the comic has him with a wit similar to Deadpools. So much wasted opportunity here, that I actively hope we get a different version some time in the future. Loved the cameo mention of Crimson Dynamo and the appearance of Ursa. Maybe a D+ Winter Guard show in the future?
I wouldn't be surprised if Taskmaster ends up on the Thunderbolts or the, rumored, Dark Avengers. I'd look at the BW movie as the origin story. What Taskmaster does from here on out could be very appealing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Taskmaster ends up on the Thunderbolts or the, rumored, Dark Avengers. I'd look at the BW movie as the origin story. What Taskmaster does from here on out could be very appealing.

I agree to some extent. I think they could develop the character more in futrue movies.

Still, I would have appreciated if it turned out Taskmaster was still his daughter, but had taken over as the trainer of the Widows and actually had some personality. The mask could have made the voice sound masculine to hide that and have the same reveal. There wasn't a good reason to make the character so bland and boring.They could have accomplished everything they did and made the character more fun.

Oh man, I was the opposite re: Nirvana. I loved the opening credits.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom