Marvel/DC comics series - are longer or shorter seasons better? (1 Viewer)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, this tweet asked the question and we've discussed this in the past. With the recently released Hawkeye being just 6 episodes, including the final one which many said felt rushed, what do you think is the ideal length of a season for a cornerstone series?

Binging really became a thing with the TV show 24, and ever since then there are series people like to binge from time to time. I tend to like how Disney+ is dropping an episode a week, where Netflix has dropped entire seasons at once. I think this is part of the equation in determining the length of a season, and even length of episodes. Disney+ did some shorter episodes with WV and FATWS and there were some mixed opinions on it. I think it would be an interesting discussion topic. What say you?

I don’t know
I’m pretty sure we’ll look back inn5 or so years and realize Disney+ has changed the game
The 4 marvel tv shows won’t be seen as series so much as a launching pad into the next marvel iteration
But I don’t think anyone knows what that is yet (esp since Covid is part of the equation- and, presumably so will post-covid if we ever get there)

If it’s a season unto itself, meaning that it’s purpose is to tell a story in its entirety, then I think a minimum of 10 episodes is needed and no more than 12. If it’s just a launch point for something else, 6 is fine because you don’t have to really wrap things up.

I don’t know
I’m pretty sure we’ll look back inn5 or so years and realize Disney+ has changed the game
The 4 marvel tv shows won’t be seen as series so much as a launching pad into the next marvel iteration
But I don’t think anyone knows what that is yet (esp since Covid is part of the equation- and, presumably so will post-covid if we ever get there)
Yeah, I think MCU in it's current form is a much larger universe than the Defenders and Punisher related series. What Disney seems to be doing is covering more characters in shorter seasons and giving us a greater variety of shows to watch, or even choose from. It seems that between the 3-4 shows we've watched this year, they sort of each have their own target audiences and themes. I like variety, and more shows. Although, that could get a little overwhelming for fans who binge the MCU series. I've already binged Phase 1-3 plus the connected or related TV shows a couple of times. I'll probably eventually do the same with phase 4-6 when that's completed down the road.

If it’s a season unto itself, meaning that it’s purpose is to tell a story in its entirety, then I think a minimum of 10 episodes is needed and no more than 12. If it’s just a launch point for something else, 6 is fine because you don’t have to really wrap things up.
While I tend to agree, with Hawkeye, they crammed a lot into the last episode and would have liked to see them develop some of the plot lines a bit more. I wanted more Kingpin, lol.

I hate the short series stuff but enjoy watching them. Anything less than 20 episodes should be labeled as a mini series.

While I tend to agree, with Hawkeye, they crammed a lot into the last episode and would have liked to see them develop some of the plot lines a bit more. I wanted more Kingpin, lol.
It almost felt like there should have been another season. If there was a Season 2, I would have been fine with just 6 episodes. But 6 in it's entireity is just too short.

It depends on the series. I felt like Hawkeye was too short but most of the Marvel Netflix shows seemed an episode or two too long

shut-up-and-take-my-money-futurama.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom