Marvel has found its Doctor Strange. [EDIT: Now with SPOILERS] (1 Viewer)

I was about to post this tot he MCU thread but oh well...

Excited. Did a good job as Kahn, but completely rocks as Sherlock. Not mad with this selection at all.

Excellent casting.. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

So when do we get a Dr. Orpheus movie?

He'll do well. It important to remember that Strange's corner of the Marvel Universe is the one even all the super soldiers, mutants, robots, super scientists, aliens, etc. find weird, so you need someone a little detached and odd. Cumberbatch definitely fits the bill.

We'll see. Joaquin Phoenix was in 'final negotiations' too, and that fell apart. That said, Cumberbatch is good casting, if a bit obvious. There's some sort of Marvel event happening tomorrow at the El Capitan in L.A. I'll bet the plan is to announce Cumber-strange there. I also hope they'll lock down a few more of those future movies. I'm especially hopeful for Black Panther (since And Serkis seems to be playing Klaw in AoU) or Ms./Captain Marvel (since there's been longstanding rumors of her having a cameo in AoU).

We'll see. Joaquin Phoenix was in 'final negotiations' too, and that fell apart. That said, Cumberbatch is good casting, if a bit obvious. There's some sort of Marvel event happening tomorrow at the El Capitan in L.A. I'll bet the plan is to announce Cumber-strange there. I also hope they'll lock down a few more of those future movies. I'm especially hopeful for Black Panther (since And Serkis seems to be playing Klaw in AoU) or Ms./Captain Marvel (since there's been longstanding rumors of her having a cameo in AoU).

Don't remember ever seeing Phoenix's name in "final negotiations", just another name going across the rumor mill. I could be wrong though.

Don't remember ever seeing Phoenix's name in "final negotiations", just another name going across the rumor mill. I could be wrong though.

They were in pretty deep before Joaquin walked over the idea of committing for multiple films and acting with so much green screen. That said, Marvel's got a press event scheduled for this afternoon that they called this weekend and it's dealing with movies. For them to hold an event outside of a convention, especially with NY Comic Con just having finished, they've got some new developments to announce. I fully expect them to announce Cumberbatch today, along with possibly announcing a couple more movies officially (as always, fingers are crossed for Captain Marvel and/or Black Panther).

This is perfect! He's a great actor, love everything he's been in, and I think he's right for the part.

They were in pretty deep before Joaquin walked over the idea of committing for multiple films and acting with so much green screen. That said, Marvel's got a press event scheduled for this afternoon that they called this weekend and it's dealing with movies. For them to hold an event outside of a convention, especially with NY Comic Con just having finished, they've got some new developments to announce. I fully expect them to announce Cumberbatch today, along with possibly announcing a couple more movies officially (as always, fingers are crossed for Captain Marvel and/or Black Panther).

What exactly did Joaquin think it would entail? Anyway, I think Marvel ended up better off anyway with Cumberbatch.

What exactly did Joaquin think it would entail? Anyway, I think Marvel ended up better off anyway with Cumberbatch.

I agree. I think Cumberbatch is a hot commodity right now (garnering Oscar buzz for his upcoming role as Alan Turing, and hits in Sherlock and The Hobbit) that absolutely fits the part, has a built-in fan base, and has great charisma and feel for the media side of being a star. He's not only going to knock the role out of the park, but people are going to love him away from the cinema as well. He's absolutely going to be able to be the face of the MCU in a potential post-Downey/Evans world.

As to Phoenix, I always thought he'd make an excellent Strange in one movie, but I never thought he'd sign on for 6-9 movies like the Marvel stars have to, so I was always dismissive of the reports that he was close to signing until he would've actually signed. He's too much of his own kind of bird to be tied to one property for that long.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom