Semper's Stupendous to Infinity and Beyond Everything Marvel Movie/TV Thread (3 Viewers)

Magneto's physical age has been reset a few times.
IMO, part of his draw is the infinite street cred he gets for being in a concentration camp. Dude knows beyond a shadow of a doubt what humans are capable of and has all the righteous motivation in the world to ensure it never happens again. Having those efforts cause him to drift over the line and become his own kind of Nazi is a fantastic source of narrative tension.
To me, you have to keep his background and ethnicity the same, it's easier to just make him 39 for the fourth time than to re-create a backstory that good.

I think there are other genocide events that would have the same effect. Obviously not as much punch as the Holocaust angle, but similar from a narrative standpoint. Bosnia comes to mind.

They could also introduce Genosha and give it a fake Holocaust like storyline.

I think there are a lot of ways to make this work. The key is he needs to be the result of some form of ethnic genocide. It can’t be just an oppressed minority.

8Mfc.gif

Magneto's physical age has been reset a few times.
IMO, part of his draw is the infinite street cred he gets for being in a concentration camp. Dude knows beyond a shadow of a doubt what humans are capable of and has all the righteous motivation in the world to ensure it never happens again. Having those efforts cause him to drift over the line and become his own kind of Nazi is a fantastic source of narrative tension.
To me, you have to keep his background and ethnicity the same, it's easier to just make him 39 for the fourth time than to re-create a backstory that good.

Unfortunately, there have more than enough genocides (20+) over the past 50 years, several of which are ongoing, that Marvel could use to generate the same "street cred".

Really amazing how focused we are on how horrific the holocaust was, yet similar atrocities occur every day and no one bats an eye.

Unfortunately, there have more than enough genocides (20+) over the past 50 years, several of which are ongoing, that Marvel could use to generate the same "street cred".

Really amazing how focused we are on how horrific the holocaust was, yet similar atrocities occur every day and no one bats an eye.

It's one of those deals where all Magneto has to do is roll up his sleeve and everyone shuts up. I'm not aware of another instance like that.

I mean, it was the targeted extermination of an entire ethnic group carried out by the political class of an industrialized European power that is a major component of the largest war ever fought in the history of the world. That does kind of set it apart.

I mean, it was the targeted extermination of an entire ethnic group carried out by the political class of an industrialized European power that is a major component of the largest war ever fought in the history of the world. That does kind of set it apart.

I think my problem is that the first half of your statement
I mean, it was the targeted extermination of an entire ethnic group carried out by the political class of an
Is something that has been occurring in one part of the world or another at any given point from the end of the holocaust to ongoing events of present day.

Yet because it doesn't fit the criteria of being people "like us" or being performed by a nation with which we have engaged in a costly military conflict it is not something many have much awareness of, or frankly interest in.
industrialized European power that is a major component of the largest war ever fought in the history of the world.

So I guess in the "instant street cred" department...
That does kind of set it apart.

That is not how it should be though... and Marvel can pull of an awesome, exciting, comic-film. While simultaneously broadening our gaze from seeing this as an issue from the past that we need to avoid repeating, to realizing that it has been and is repeating.

Marvel could introduce a factual and recent or ongoing genocide as part of the backstory. Marvel has also tried to blend their superhero movies in with other genres so creating a “human rights” film that operates as the origin story of a hero or villain would be well within their capabilities.

I would also love to see a stand alone "villain" movie... maybe even an origin story, with a hero being the secondary character. Not to justify or excuse the villains actions, but to show that most "monsters" are just people with motivations that are often noble, relatable responses to real injustices that go unchecked, and that the true way to defeat these villains is to end their point of origin by fighting that which motivated them to extreme means and left them feeling justified in their actions.

I believe it has been mentioned before by other posters that it was a shame that Killmonger was killed off in the Black Panther movie... the issues that motivated him to pursue his ends were compelling and real, he wasn't wrong that the neutral non-involvement of Wakanda in the face of centuries of ongoing atrocities was wrong, it was the actions he had taken and those intended to take to combat the injustice he saw that made him villainous... the rest made him human. I mean I love Loki in the MCU, even as a villain he is a fun character, he has depth, and he has reasons in his origin and upbringing for his turn... but ultimately his reasoning was petty. Among the recurring villains it was a rarity to have a motivation that went beyond self interest (Thanos and ???). Would be nice to see that change.

How it should or shouldn't be has no bearing on how it is. Yeah, we should treat all inhumane acts equally, but the truth is there is a difference, like it or not, between a targeted genocide (the ethnic cleansing variety) in a war torn developing nation and one that comes about at the hands of an industrialized western power. We can wax philosophical all we want, but the reality is one of those things is substantially more rare and unprecedented than the other.

Last edited:
I know it's probably still too soon but is there any word on how Marvel/Disney plans to handle Black Panther moving forward?

I know it's probably still too soon but is there any word on how Marvel/Disney plans to handle Black Panther moving forward?

That's a tough one. Black Panther is too integral to the Avengers to write him out of the story. The question i guess is to they go a whole new character to replace him, or have another actor play his character/role? I kind of like the idea of laying him to rest and doing a different origin story for a new Black Panther.

That's a tough one. Black Panther is too integral to the Avengers to write him out of the story. The question i guess is to they go a whole new character to replace him, or have another actor play his character/role? I kind of like the idea of laying him to rest and doing a different origin story for a new Black Panther.

I can see it going either way

And I’ve been back and forth on which I’d prefer

I can see it going either way

And I’ve been back and forth on which I’d prefer
Me too.

I love Shuri (and the actress who plays her). I would absolutely support her taking up the mantle (and the suit they came up for her in the video game footage is awesome).

But T'challa was also such an important movie character and real beacon of optimism and progress for so many people (especially kids). I also think it would be a real shame to lose the character (even if it obviously means re-casting) after only 1 solo movie.

So yeah, I don't what I'm rooting for. It's a tough decision for Marvel, for sure.

Does anyone happen to know if any of the Black Panther cast or crew have said anything about it?

Me too.

I love Shuri (and the actress who plays her). I would absolutely support her taking up the mantle (and the suit they came up for her in the video game footage is awesome).

But T'challa was also such an important movie character and real beacon of optimism and progress for so many people (especially kids). I also think it would be a real shame to lose the character (even if it obviously means re-casting) after only 1 solo movie.

So yeah, I don't what I'm rooting for. It's a tough decision for Marvel, for sure.

I'm totally down with Shuri, but...with so many recent new female leads, would that be an issue? I mean I don't think so, but it might be something to keep in mind. Now that I've been thinking a bit more about it, I'm pretty all in on her taking over the role.

I am open to other avenues as well though. I trust Marvel to do justice to the Black Panther legacy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom