Semper's Stupendous to Infinity and Beyond Everything Marvel Movie/TV Thread (2 Viewers)

Me too.

I love Shuri (and the actress who plays her). I would absolutely support her taking up the mantle (and the suit they came up for her in the video game footage is awesome).

But T'challa was also such an important movie character and real beacon of optimism and progress for so many people (especially kids). I also think it would be a real shame to lose the character (even if it obviously means re-casting) after only 1 solo movie.

So yeah, I don't what I'm rooting for. It's a tough decision for Marvel, for sure.

I hadn't heard anything yet, but a decision can't be too far away if they're planning a 2022 release. Really curious to see how this will go. I imagine there will be some CGI to give Boseman a good send-off.

I'm not sure Captain America: Civil War works as a point of comparison. It's really a solo movie in name only (even during production people jokingly called it Avengers 2.5) and it had the luxury of most of those characters having shared the screen a good bit already. It could tell a story with them without doing any heavy lifting. This seems altogether different.

Nope, not rumors. Garfield, Alfred Molina, Jamie Foxx, and Kiersten Dunst are already confirmed, signed sealed and delivered. Officially announced cast members by the major trades. Word is Maguire should be announced soon, and they're bringing back Emma Stone to reprise Gwen Stacy from the ASM movies, as well. This is 100% happening for real.

The Spider-verse does not excite me in the MCU.

I hadn't heard anything yet, but a decision can't be too far away if they're planning a 2022 release. Really curious to see how this will go. I imagine there will be some CGI to give Boseman a good send-off.

I thought I read somewhere that Marvel said there would not be any CGI of Chadwick in the movie. Maybe I'm wrong.

Shuri taking the mantle makes since. It worked pretty well in the comics when T'Challa was off visiting the stars of the galaxy.

I think for me, Spidey has felt a bit like an add on, at least outside IW and EG. Either do it all the way or have Spidey as a separate franchise.

I do feel like the Defenders characters can be massaged into the overarching story of MCU.

I thought I read somewhere that Marvel said there would not be any CGI of Chadwick in the movie. Maybe I'm wrong.

Shuri taking the mantle makes since. It worked pretty well in the comics when T'Challa was off visiting the stars of the galaxy.

Well, whatever they do, I hope they do something nice for him. I know they did a cool homage to Stan Lee and something similar would be cool.

I have a really complicated relationship with the MCU Spider-Man films. I enjoy them, but I also don't think that they're particularly good Spider-Man adaptations. MCU Spidey/Peter Parker feels like he's lacking most of that character's more defining traits.

I have a really complicated relationship with the MCU Spider-Man films. I enjoy them, but I also don't think that they're particularly good Spider-Man adaptations. MCU Spidey/Peter Parker feels like he's lacking most of that character's more defining traits.

Really?

I feel they’ve gotten much closer with Tom Holland than either of the other two movie Spider-Men

Not a huge fan of the iron man spidey suit though

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was a character flaw or a storytelling flaw, but I never thought Spidey meshed well with Avengers, outside maybe his relationship with Iron Man, who is now RIP, or so it seems.

Really?

I feel they’ve gotten much closer with Tom Holland than either of the other two movie Spider-Men

Not a huge fan of the iron man spidey suit though

I'm the opposite. I loved the IM/Spidey suit with the legs. Lol. Certainly not traditional, but making it work in space was a good twist imo.

I get what @Sun Wukong is saying. To me Peter Parker is primarily about wrestling with weighing his responsibility with his desire to have a normal life.

And in the MCU that isn’t as apparent. He’s obviously still a good guy. But he hasn’t had to make the really hard choices yet. He did skip out on his quiz bowl thing, but even that he seemed more motivated to prove something to Stark than trying to do the right thing.

I feel ya there. For me, I thought Garfield was the perfect Peter Parker even if he wasn't the best Spider-Man (and he may have been that as well of the three). He illustrated most of the traits I expected to see from Peter. Maguire was just meh and Holland is just too childish for my liking.

I get what @Sun Wukong is saying. To me Peter Parker is primarily about wrestling with weighing his responsibility with his desire to have a normal life.

And in the MCU that isn’t as apparent. He’s obviously still a good guy. But he hasn’t had to make the really hard choices yet. He did skip out on his quiz bowl thing, but even that he seemed more motivated to prove something to Stark than trying to do the right thing.

Yes, that's it exactly. Spidey is the ultimate hard case hero. He has to make tough choices that often very adversely impact his personal life. He's constantly down on his luck. He has to hustle to pay his rent or buy groceries. He patches his costume with a needle and thread. He doesn't have the luxury or being a billionaire or a god or a cultural icon. The public isn't very fond of him, his name is constantly dragged through the mud, etc. etc. And yet he still goes out and does it every day.

And even though he teams up with the rest of the Marvel Universe, he also kind of exists on the periphery of it. A recurring theme with the character is him feeling overwhelmed or out of place in teamups. This is actually a reason I've NEVER liked him as a member of the Avengers roster in the comics. He just doesn't fit. And to be fair, some of those stories are about how he doesn't fit.

MCU Spidey is hanging out with Tony Stark. He's got access to super science level technology on the regular because of that relationship. So much of what motivates him seems to be specifically a childish devotion to that Stark relationship as opposed to "With great power comes great responsibility." Something the movies have even gone out of their way not to say. He doesn't seem to have a great deal of personal strife (ending of Far From Home aside). He always has someone he can rely on to help him out whether it's Tony or Happy or (presumably) Doctor Strange, where comic Spidey often has to face things without a deux ex machina to intervene.

He just feels like a very different character to me.

At some point, Marvel needs to bring in the FF and Namor and give me a modified Illuminati movie/series/whatever...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom