Marvel Studios announces Phase 4 movies (1 Viewer)

I'm really excited about this - and it's what a lot of talk is about around here because it features, Simu Liu an actor from next door and someone who people have fallen in love with as the lead in "Kim's Convenience" - a huge sitcom here in Toronto, based on a stage play that rose to prominence out of nowhere.

QjNKdTUud1_Wc2xBNQlUAobw0cXI8CbSFCF_mgpmKZ0.jpg

they said on the convention stage when the accounted the movies.

Their good stories have revolved around many of the classic story arcs from the 70's, 80's and 90's, most of which i have copies of sitting in my garage. and the truth is there are plenty of diversity. You don't need a lady Thor when you have Valkyrie.
Relationships are not the plot foundation for any of the movies, so who sleeps with who is really irrelevant. Super hero stories are plot driven stories. Finally, you make diversity normal by making it no big deal. Spiderman homecoming and far from home do this very well. It has the most ethnically diverse cast with the most changes in characters, and no one cares, because the characters are well written with good performances by the actors that fit the story and location of a public school in new york city.

dismissive? yeh, i'm tired of politics being forced into entertainment with a heavy hand with the "accept it or your a racist/sexist" response. I didn't say the movies wouldn't be good because of race or gender, i said, race and gender in and of itself isn't going to make the movie good. No one will who has what skin color or what girl kisses another girl if the movie is like the Fox Fan4stic movie that bombed.

i would say calling someone a bigot is calling names, but i don't really care. I just don't respect people who do it.

I think you are reading too much into people disagreeing with you. It shouldn't be this big of a deal.

I also think it is fair to say that your posts at least give the impression (maybe it wasn't your intention) that you are writing these stories off as "bad" before they have even released any details. And the main reason behind the early negative opinion seems to be that these new characters are just to make things "political". I ( and others apparently) just disagree. It's as simple as that.

I don't get writing these movies off a year ahead of time, and respectfully, I think it's you who is making the casting of people who aren't white males into a "political" issue. Even if the casting announcement was made into a big deal, so what? It kind of is a big deal (even though it shouldn't have taken us this long to get here). The casting panel doesn't mean anything when it comes to the actual stories the movies will tell.

*I think there is a difference between Spider-Man making MJ and a few minor classmate characters different races/genders/sexualities and giving that spotlight to main characters and actual super heroes.

totes adorbs
Disagreement is the foundation of discussion, it used to be a time when it was considered a bad thing for everyone to think the same.
nope. engagement is the foundation
2 people can have a totally valid discussion just by furthering/deepening each others points and bringing new perspective
disagreement that's mere contradiction is static and often a rhetorical dead end

What matters is good stories. They made the point of inject gender and sexual preference issues into their announcements. Make a character a woman doesn't make anything good. Making a character gay doesn't make it good. Make a good story that tells a compelling drama that your audience can resonate with is the basis of good storytelling.
unless you can show me that all stories that don't add gays or women are good stories, then you really don't have a point here

But we don't live in a world anymore where we want to treat people the same or as equals and let the merits of the actions and character determine the their value. So get in line with the property line of thought, or the insults will roll.
your premise, that gender, sexuality and race have no place (or only subsidiary place) in 'stories' is insulting
pointing out that other people get to have their stories told is not insulting - it's perspective
[/QUOTE]

and it rolls every time like clock work, at least its over inconsequential works of fiction that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

so go head, call me names, pitch your insults, its all so predictable.
if it's inconsequential, why are you even weighing in?
oh right. bc you don't believe what you'r saying

to be clear
your position - that stories centered around white, straight men are the only valid stories is a default position
there are significant social/cultural/financial reasons (assumptions) that most stories featured your default hero even though that hero was representative of a minority part of the population
you are the one engaging in intracted thinking
it's not that 'we' are unable to see your point of view - we've grown up with the point of view you share - it was the dominant, almost exclusive media environment we all grew up in
we are the ones expanding out points of view to consider other things
you are hanging onto the status quo that has always been there

Vision, Scarlet Witch, Hawkeye, and Loki are FAR from b list characters.

While I disagree with almost everything he said and I do not at all share his negative views, these are the definition of B list characters. Loki MIGHT not be but the rest are not really debatable in my opinion.

Well, Endgame left me deeply disappointed, here's hoping Thor 4 or Gotg3 gives the Odinson some respect.

I didn't ever read the Thor comics so I have some questions. Forgive me if it's a dumb question, but I really feel like I'm missing something.
How can there be another Thor? Isn't that his name? If he's not Thor anymore than who is he? I don't really care if there's a female Thor or a frog Thor (didn't this happen), I just don't get it. Is Thor more of a title than a name? Or is it still him in another body?

I didn't ever read the Thor comics so I have some questions. Forgive me if it's a dumb question, but I really feel like I'm missing something.
How can there be another Thor? Isn't that his name? If he's not Thor anymore than who is he? I don't really care if there's a female Thor or a frog Thor (didn't this happen), I just don't get it. Is Thor more of a title than a name? Or is it still him in another body?

Based on Norse mythology, which is where the marvel comic draws its inspiration, Thor was a God. 1 guy. No girl. Sif would be the closest female to what Thor is strictly speaking from a mythological standpoint.

Based on Norse mythology, which is where the marvel comic draws its inspiration, Thor was a God. 1 guy. No girl. Sif would be the closest female to what Thor is strictly speaking from a mythological standpoint.

Yeah, I always had the impression that Thor was one dude who can wreck your world if you're the baddie. Sif or the Valkeries themselves were super strong. And don't forget Helga. She literally crushed the hammer with one hand and laid waste to the Asgardian army. She was arguably more powerful than Thor because he couldn't have defeated her on his own.

im a bit nervous to mention there's a spiderpig and an entire planet of hulks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom