Marvel Studios announces Phase 4 movies (1 Viewer)

Yeah. The Eternals was Kirby's attempt to recreate the New Gods once he returned to Marvel. It just never connected with me and seemingly not a lot of others unless they are die-hard Marvel fanboys.

This probably could have been better accepted if released on Disney+ IMO, but hey. It's the MCU.
Which was also a lousy comic, but then pretty much all DC comics were lousy in the 70s because they had terrible writers.

The Eternals have never interested me. Not the original run, not the Neil Gaiman version, and nothing in between. They're creations from a time when Kirby was running on fumes creatively, burnt out on the industry, trying to recapture past glory, and just not really my thing.

I will say the movie looks (as in design and cinematography) beautiful.

And without getting spoilery, I will say I'm a bit confused about reports/leaks on this. Word is Marvel thinks they've got something groundbreaking here that's substantially different then their usual stuff. Like reports are Feige and Co. are super high on what Chloe Zhao has done and are talking it up big internally as a giant leap forward.

But then a couple of months ago some 100% confirmed to be accurate reports from test screenings came out and seemed to indicate something that sounds much more mundane and bog standard MCU. Almost phase 1 sounding at times.

Granted, there have apparently been some substantial reshoots after those test screenings and there's a very real chance the movie we get is substantially improved upon what was tested back then, but what was reported didn't exactly wow me as a basis to build on.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
Wasn't Iron Man c tier before the movies?
Pre-MCU Marvel was all b tier and below except for the X-Men and Spider-Man.

The Avengers were c tier. All of them, both individually, and as a group.

As a kid, I didn't like the Eternals, or Shang-Chi, or Blade, but I didn't like the Guardians of the Galaxy either and those movies were great. I'll give the new stuff a chance.

The existing Blade movies were great. I don't know how they can do that in a Disney environment, but I look forward to finding out.

Pre-MCU Marvel was all b tier and below except for the X-Men and Spider-Man.

The Avengers were c tier. All of them, both individually, and as a group.

As a kid, I didn't like the Eternals, or Shang-Chi, or Blade, but I didn't like the Guardians of the Galaxy either and those movies were great. I'll give the new stuff a chance.

The existing Blade movies were great. I don't know how they can do that in a Disney environment, but I look forward to finding out.
I didn't like the 3rd Blade movie but the other two were fantastic.

Wasn't Iron Man c tier before the movies?
i always thought so
was kinda surprised that he was the horse marvel rode to the MCU, but i was thinking about that with Sun's post
if the Eternals are kinda meh, then there's lots of growth potential there

at first i thought Sun was getting at a tech thing - using the new LED screen technology - but i'm pretty sure i heard Wanda used it so it's not new to Marvel
from the trailer, it looks like the Eternals is trying to tell a global story - maybe something like what Sense8 tried but never quite pulled off

Sort of.

A prequel starring a now dead character, a c-tier kung fu superhero, Immortals 2, and Spider Man!
Outside of Spiderman, most of the MCU characters were B or C tier...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom