Marvin Lewis " Penalty for hit on Jimmy Graham was worth it" (1 Viewer)

Twyst

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If sean payton said something like that he would prbably get banned for life and we'd lose 3 1st round pics :mad:

Up until now, I liked Marvin Lewis. No longer.

So if Jimmy had gotten a concussion or other serious injury from that hit, he would've thought it was worth it too, I'll bet.

This comment deserves a six figure fine. Basically Lewis is telling the NFL "to beat the Saints just make sure your DBs hammer Jimmy Graham early. Legal or not it's worth it". If Goodell doesn't fine Lewis for these comments it's basically open season on Saints players......

He's right though, that hit really set the tone for the Bengals. I remember Raphael Bush hit on Harvin in the playoffs I thought set the tone for us that game but we couldn't beat Seattle and the refs.

This comment deserves a six figure fine. Basically Lewis is telling the NFL "to beat the Saints just make sure your DBs hammer Jimmy Graham early. Legal or not it's worth it". If Goodell doesn't fine Lewis for these comments it's basically open season on Saints players......

It already is and has been...
If you notice ever since bountygate, teams now play super physical with the Saints because they know that they really can't reciprocate because of the watchful eye. It's like being handicapped. Look at this season alone. The Bucs game where JG was originally injured. The Thomas Davis B**** move in Carolina, and now this by these tough guys. It's painful to watch. I would just turn the dogs loose next time this happens.

We said the same EXACT thing about the Vacarro hit on Matt Ryan last year. This season sucks, but let's not get butt hurt over something we don't seem to mind if our team is the one dishing it out.

I agree... It's ridiculous. Goodell won't do a damn thing about it. He's a disgrace, but we knew this already. People have been taking shots at us, we always seem to get no breaks, officiating or other wise. Probably continue like this until Goodell is gone.

He's just trying to fire up Graham and the team so we beat his division rivals Baltimore and Pitt the next couple weeks.

We said the same EXACT thing about the Vacarro hit on Matt Ryan last year. This season sucks, but let's not get butt hurt over something we don't seem to mind if our team is the one dishing it out.

I understand where you're coming from, and I think it can be too easy for a lot of us to refer things back to the made-up bounty scandal, but I think Lewis' comments do illustrate the very thin (arbitrary?) lines that exist when it comes to coaching, playing, and the physical nature of the sport.

Hearing a coach say in an interview something about a hit like that setting the tone will leave a lot of fans shrugging and saying "yeah, it's football." And...that's the point.

Get some recording of a coach saying in a pre-game talk that he wants his players to make those kinds of hits to set the tone and now we got us some kind of problem.

Whatever the Saints did or didn't do, and whatever Marvin Lewis says in the lockerroom before the game or in the interview after, it's football. Players hit each other. Coaches want their players to set the tone. Defenders don't need to be reminded to make a receiver think twice about coming across the middle of the field. So when coaches say that stuff, before or after, it's in a very long tradition of rah-rah football speak.

And fans of other teams never should have needed to be reminded of that when the bounty fiasco got crafted out of crap evidence. There's nothing really wrong with what Lewis said, except that there's been this faux culture shift, at the direction of the league, itself, in what football is supposed to be and integrity, and whatever... There was never anything really wrong with the way the Saints played in 2009, nor with the way the coaches prepared them before a game, or addressed them after, either. Now we're just left with hypocrisy and glaring inconsistencies in what coaches should or shouldn't say and how that's met by the league, the media, and fans.

I Know this isn't going to be a popular post but I think if Jimmy had been a little more physical when the abuse began he would not have the rep of being soft around the league. You never let the opponent know you are hurt or intimidated by what they do to you. you wont get the call and you get it even less in this league when you are perceived as soft. It started with Talib. once that ship has sailed it takes an over conscious effort to turn the tide. Flame away but it is the truth. I learned that in my first year of martial arts.

Who's we? Fans on the board? This is a head coach expressing his feeling to the media.

I Know this isn't going to be a popular post but I think if Jimmy had been a little more physical when the abuse began he would not have the rep of being soft around the league. You never let the opponent know you are hurt or intimidated by what they do to you. you wont get the call and you get it even less in this league when you are perceived as soft. It started with Talib. once that ship has sailed it takes an over conscious effort to turn the tide. Flame away but it is the truth. I learned that in my first year of martial arts.

I agree. Now if you remember I was first person to call Jimmy Graham "soft" after Talib shut him down last year and got flamed for it and even a "warning" lol.

What's funny to me, have you ever seen Gronk get beat up with cheap shots by other teams???

Do you know why he doesn't get pushed around; because he is NOT soft like Jimmy Graham...smh.

Rob Gronkowski = 6'5" 265lbs
Jimmy Graham = 6'7" 265lbs

Which one is "physical" & which one is "finesse" ??? :hihi:

*** Until Jimmy Graham go see the wizard and ask for some courage he will always get beat up by smaller guys in the NFL :jpshakehead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom