Maryland school district restricts hugs, party invitations and cupcakes (1 Viewer)

FWtex

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Maryland school district restricts hugs, party invitations and cupcakes - U.S. News

I am about ready to find a cave to live in until this madness is over. This country is going to have the most socially inept population in about 30 years. I am sure they will then wonder why crime against people has increased when people no longer know how to interact with other humans.

“If there are 20 individuals in the class and someone brings in seven birthday invitations, it was creating an academic disruption,” Hall said. “People were getting their feelings hurt.”

It is sad that this needs to be done for the safety of our children,” she told the newspapers.

welcome to libtopia........they also expel kids for playing cops and robbers or even pointing a finger like a gun now.

With regard to the invites, our school (and nearly every other one I am familiar with) requires that invites can come in the class only if everyone gets one; otherwise they ask you to deliver them outside class. Honestly, that's not all that hard to understand. Teachers don't want to have to deal with that stuff, and I don't blame them.

The other restrictions are ridiculous.

welcome to libtopia........they also expel kids for playing cops and robbers or even pointing a finger like a gun now.

I am no MSNBC watcher FYI, I just feel that dumping on someone core beliefs in politics cause you don's share their faith is kinda odd to me. It is a valid point of view shared by millions over the centuries.......
:coveri:

People need to get their feelings hurt as kids, it sucks, but its part of growing up. People have to learn to deal with adversity.

The guidelines come from a committee of parents and school administrators that started meeting last fall. They were put in place after the massacre last December in Newtown, Conn. District officials stress that they are not final, and say they want feedback from parents.

I don't get what any of these new rules has to do with the massacre in Newtown? Strange.

I do not know about expel, but my 4 year old told me they send him to timeout if he plays like he has a gun.
Asked the teacher and she confirmed it was policy.

Very weird.

I have worked in education for 19 years with 18 of those at the elementary level. I have kids rush up to hug me on a regular basis. BTW- I am a counselor not a teacher. If I refused to hug them or pushed them away when they approach me, my kids would interpret that as a rejection of them as a person worthy of my attention or concern. I work mostly with 3rd-5th grade students. Even at that age, their ability to use abstract thought is still being developed. In their world of mostly concrete perception a hug means I'm OK, someone likes me and cares about me while a rejection of that hug means I must not be OK, that person doesn't like me or care about me.

I hope I never have a problem due to some overzealous application of political correctness but I don't think I will be as effective a counselor as I am if I start pushing away kids that need some positive feedback that they are worthwhile as a person.

I have worked in education for 19 years with 18 of those at the elementary level. I have kids rush up to hug me on a regular basis. BTW- I am a counselor not a teacher. If I refused to hug them or pushed them away when they approach me, my kids would interpret that as a rejection of them as a person worthy of my attention or concern. I work mostly with 3rd-5th grade students. Even at that age, their ability to use abstract thought is still being developed. In their world of mostly concrete perception a hug means I'm OK, someone likes me and cares about me while a rejection of that hug means I must not be OK, that person doesn't like me or care about me.

I hope I never have a problem due to some overzealous application of political correctness but I don't think I will be as effective a counselor as I am if I start pushing away kids that need some positive feedback that they are worthwhile as a person.

You point out the affects of this ridiculousness that I immediately thought about. There is no better time to show kids that they are accepted then when they are in their early schoold years. I cannot believe anyone trained in education or psychiatrics would think this is a healthy idea.

cdogg, I know your comments aren't condoning bullying, even if some HS sophomore says something stupid or frequently interrupts in classes those around him see him as a intelligent arse, there's always those who'll go further then telling them to shut their f----- mouth, they'll rough him up in the bathroom after school. IMHO, if some egotistical pricks made a habit of "hurting my kids' feelings" my advice to them in terms of handling this form of adversity would be to tell them go **** themselves, getting your feelings constantly hurt undeservedly by bullies, egotistical, overbearing teachers while growing up isn't a necessary requisite for dealing with adversity and if that means coming down to their level to reinforce it, so be it. You'd be surprised how studies done interviewing self-identified bullies showed few noticeable signs of inferiority complex, in fact most of them reported high opinions of themselves, which included some explaining their reasons for making fun of, verbally harassing, attacking classmates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom