Mass shooting at Taiwanese church. (1 Viewer)

Most of them won't use anything because it will be too much trouble.

I don't get people's irrational obsession with defending guns.

I have 3, i'm not gun phobic.
If you could pull a Thanos and with a snap of your fingers, remove every gun in the US, do you think the murders would stop?

I think they would decline signifigantly.

Same with suicides.

We're talking a 75% or greater drop.
Let's use a hypothetical.....in Buffalo, what if, instead of using a gun and killing 10 people, this a-hat used a car bomb and killed 25. What would the narrative be then?

I would argue the common denominator is someone who has been desensitized or raised to completely lack the value of someone else’s life. What is causing this? What makes someone wake up one day and say, I’m going to take this weapon and inflict as much damage as I can on a group of people? Whether it’s the white supremacist killing black people, the religious ideological extremist, or the young man raised on the streets perpetuating the cycle of violence in his city.

I would also argue that the extreme majority of these issues are isolated to males. Why are we such violent savages? I don’t know the answer on how to fix this, but I do know that taking away rifle style weapons wouldn’t have saved the people killed in the abundance of mass shootings that happen in this country daily no one talks about. We have a violence problem and I believe that it comes from society telling males they have to fit into this strong, alpha mold. If you aren’t an alpha, you are a beta, and if you are a beta, the alphas are going to run all over you.

How do we instill values into our young people who are constantly influenced by other young people? I think once we are able to answer that question, we will be able to start fixing the violence issue.

I would argue the common denominator is someone who has been desensitized or raised to completely lack the value of someone else’s life. What is causing this? What makes someone wake up one day and say, I’m going to take this weapon and inflict as much damage as I can on a group of people? Whether it’s the white supremacist killing black people, the religious ideological extremist, or the young man raised on the streets perpetuating the cycle of violence in his city.

I would also argue that the extreme majority of these issues are isolated to males. Why are we such violent savages? I don’t know the answer on how to fix this, but I do know that taking away rifle style weapons wouldn’t have saved the people killed in the abundance of mass shootings that happen in this country daily no one talks about. We have a violence problem and I believe that it comes from society telling males they have to fit into this strong, alpha mold. If you aren’t an alpha, you are a beta, and if you are a beta, the alphas are going to run all over you.

How do we instill values into our young people who are constantly influenced by other young people? I think once we are able to answer that question, we will be able to start fixing the violence issue.
Agree with all that but, I don't think anyone just "wakes up one day and decides to kill". It's something that festers and builds and is enforced by whatever/whoever is driving their psyche towards this dark place.

Let's use a hypothetical.....in Buffalo, what if, instead of using a gun and killing 10 people, this a-hat used a car bomb and killed 25. What would the narrative be then?
Did he? Why not? Cleary he wanted to kill as many people as possible, why didn't he decide to make a bomb?

What if he had poisoned and killed 1000?

Why did he choose a gun? Could it be that that is by far the easiest way to kill a large number of people, without needing any skill?

Did he? Why not? Cleary he wanted to kill as many people as possible, why didn't he decide to make a bomb?

What if he had poisoned and killed 1000?

Why did he choose a gun? Could it be that that is by far the easiest way to kill a large number of people, without needing any skill?
I think it was what someone else here already said, he wanted notoriety, while staying alive. He didn't want to be a martyr, he wants to be a hero. Now, we get to see his face on TV everyday for a month or more. He's probably loving every minute of it. Tossing a bomb and running away wouldn't do it, neither would blowing himself up in a car. And I would also surmise that he isn't intelligent enough to come up with any other plan than to just shoot a gun. Not all "terrorists" are that dumb.

Teach your children:
Leviticus 9:9-18
Particularly: "17 You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. 18 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself"

Matthew 5: 43You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.

and
Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

As long as a person considers themselves the most important human being, they are capable of any kind of evil against their fellow man because other people do not matter to them. Empathy is something that must be taught. Small children are inherently selfish and must learn not to be. When we don't teach them that others are as important as they are, we should not be surprised when they grow up to consider other people's lives worthless.

Teach your children:
Leviticus 9:9-18
Particularly: "17 You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. 18 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself"

Matthew 5: 43You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.

and
Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. 4 Let each of you look not to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.

As long as a person considers themselves the most important human being, they are capable of any kind of evil against their fellow man because other people do not matter to them. Empathy is something that must be taught. Small children are inherently selfish and must learn not to be. When we don't teach them that others are as important as they are, we should not be surprised when they grow up to consider other people's lives worthless.
You have to teach by example. If your household contains hate for people, you will instill it in your children. I know people that quote those very same verses, then turn around and complain about "insert race here" bringing our country down.

You have to teach by example. If your household contains hate for people, you will instill it in your children. I know people that quote those very same verses, then turn around and complain about "insert race here" bringing our country down.
Truth.

It's easy to quote scripture; understanding it and actually living it is hard.

My father was an elder in a few different congregations (we moved several times due to his job) and he used to chuckle when people would express a desire to study "difficult passages." He said he knew they meant the prophetic parts of Daniel and Revelation that no one really fully understands, but to him those aren't the difficult passages of scripture. He said, "The difficult passages are the ones I do understand that ask me to reject my selfishness and be a better human being."

I think it was what someone else here already said, he wanted notoriety, while staying alive. He didn't want to be a martyr, he wants to be a hero. Now, we get to see his face on TV everyday for a month or more. He's probably loving every minute of it. Tossing a bomb and running away wouldn't do it, neither would blowing himself up in a car. And I would also surmise that he isn't intelligent enough to come up with any other plan than to just shoot a gun. Not all "terrorists" are that dumb.
Timothy McVeigh survived his attack. So did the Boston Bombers.

There must be some other reason that most of these attackers choose firearms over explosives.

Timothy McVeigh survived his attack. So did the Boston Bombers.

There must be some other reason that most of these attackers choose firearms over explosives.
Because it's easier in today's society. And who knows, maybe he wanted to look the people in the eye when he killed them. Now, take away guns....what's the easiest thing to do? Poison in an envelope? Pipe bomb in a backpack? Sarin gas in a subway? I'm sticking with my thought that if you don't change the people's attitude toward society, it doesn't matter what's available, they will find a way.

Do media outlets have like a set schedule for when they start reporting on mass shootings? There's always a long gap where you don't hear about any mass shootings and then suddenly there's like a week or two period where that's all that's being reported on. They're happening nonstop to be clear, but they're only reported on in big bunches. Very strange.

Because it's easier in today's society. And who knows, maybe he wanted to look the people in the eye when he killed them. Now, take away guns....what's the easiest thing to do? Poison in an envelope? Pipe bomb in a backpack? Sarin gas in a subway? I'm sticking with my thought that if you don't change the people's attitude toward society, it doesn't matter what's available, they will find a way.

I don't think any one thing is going to solve the problem.

I 100% agree that we need to work to change people's attitudes.

I also think guns are to readily available.

I also don't think that we will ever "solve" the problem, we can only make it better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom