Mass shooting at Taiwanese church. (1 Viewer)

If you could pull a Thanos and with a snap of your fingers, remove every gun in the US, do you think the murders would stop?
that's bad 'perfect being the enemy of the good' rhetoric there - of course they wouldn't stop - but would the homicide drop to the rates of every other industrial country? eventually almost certainly

and obviously we don't fetishize any weapon the way we do guns
if we go rid of guns, i'm not sure these families take pictures holding manure and a gas can
1652722982111.png

Didn't someone detonate a car bomb last year in Nashville? Not a government building, but since Oklahoma government building implemented very strict security measures.
yea, how many people were killed by that car bomb?

I have never said it was impossible to use a bomb, but there is a reason they have most often relied on using firearms.

that's bad 'perfect being the enemy of the good' rhetoric there - of course they wouldn't stop - but would the homicide drop to the rates of every other industrial country? eventually almost certainly

if we go rid of guns, i'm not sure these families take pictures holding manure and a gas can
1652722982111.png
You post this here, and this in the other thread?
to say nothing of the uptick in children accidentally pressure cooking themselves - or the high rate of committing suicide with pressure cookers - then there's pressure cooking your teen who is sneaking into the house but you mistake them for an intruder

If you could pull a Thanos and with a snap of your fingers, remove every gun in the US, do you think the murders would stop?

Significantly. What makes the US so different from other developed countries? Why aren't other countries seeing murders at the same rate by resorting to bombs, hot lava, chainsaw knives or whatever else you can dream up?

The mental gymnastics to pretend that guns are a critical part of this equation is outright stupid.

Because it's easier in today's society. And who knows, maybe he wanted to look the people in the eye when he killed them. Now, take away guns....what's the easiest thing to do? Poison in an envelope? Pipe bomb in a backpack? Sarin gas in a subway? I'm sticking with my thought that if you don't change the people's attitude toward society, it doesn't matter what's available, they will find a way.

But only in the United States apparently.

1652722982111.png

Dr. Frances Cress Welsing has a gem of a theory about why men in particular fetishize the "usually black or brown penis-shaped gun," (but I shan't divulge any further).

Significantly. What makes the US so different from other developed countries?
You'd be surprised.
Why aren't other countries seeing murders at the same rate by resorting to bombs, hot lava, chainsaw knives or whatever else you can dream up?
You probably wouldn't be surprised. The U.S. culture is a violent culture.

The mental gymnastics to pretend that guns are a critical part of this equation is outright stupid.
Guns are part of the equation because they are used in shootings, but they are not the reason why people are being shot. I don't think anyone would argue that, as far as methods to kill, using a gun isn't rather easy. But it is not the only easy way to kill, and a long as the willingness to kill is there, we will find methods to kill.

Would the body count diminish if there were no legal guns in the U.S.? Maybe, maybe not. In MX, guns are strictly regulated; there is only 1 gun store, and it is run by the armed forces. And shootings aren't a rarity because the influx of illegal guns (btw, most guns come from the U.S.) But MX is a violent culture too.

Dr. Frances Cress Welsing has a gem of a theory about why men in particular fetishize the "usually black or brown penis-shaped gun," (but I shan't divulge any further).

I guess no one ever explained rifling to the good dr.

You'd be surprised.

You probably wouldn't be surprised. The U.S. culture is a violent culture.

Guns are part of the equation because they are used in shootings, but they are not the reason why people are being shot. I don't think anyone would argue that, as far as methods to kill, using a gun isn't rather easy. But it is not the only easy way to kill, and a long as the willingness to kill is there, we will find methods to kill.

Would the body count diminish if there were no legal guns in the U.S.? Maybe, maybe not. In MX, guns are strictly regulated; there is only 1 gun store, and it is run by the armed forces. And shootings aren't a rarity because the influx of illegal guns (btw, most guns come from the U.S.) But MX is a violent culture too.

I think you make a pretty good argument for why the U.S gun problem is a problem for Mexico too, but that's it.

I heard on NPR that in this case the shooter was the same race as the victims.

Guns are always a common denominator though.
It was another hate crime. Chinese assailant shooting Taiwanese chuch members.

Let's use a hypothetical.....in Buffalo, what if, instead of using a gun and killing 10 people, this a-hat used a car bomb and killed 25. What would the narrative be then?
What about taking a car loaded with explosives and driving it into a store? If there is a will there will always be a way for people with obvious mental issues.

Not one poster has addressed the obvious. MENTAL HEALTH issues in this country. The Buffalo shooter is a racist. But why? Something in his brain is not right, to have those thoughts of hate and then to kill. Hate is something that will always exist. But the urge to ACTUALLY kill someone, or many, is the bigger mental health issue. But it does not stop with racial hate and killings. It is what makes anyone want to have just so much disregard, lack of respect for human life, that they kill another human being? Do we need to talk about the record pace of killings thus far, this year, in New Orleans?

Teach your children:
Leviticus 9:9-18
Particularly: "17 You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. 18 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself"
Also, Leviticus, 20:13 “If a man lies with a male as with a woman both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death"

.. or Numbers: "So now, kill all the boys, as well as every woman who has had relations with a man, but spare for yourselves every girl who has never had relations with a man".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom