Mass shooting in Buffalo NY. (1 Viewer)

I was referring to the idiocy that is getting posted about how bombs aren't as bad or damaging because guns are preferred currently when it is quite obvious that anybody making the point about bombs is predicated on guns being banned
That is absolutely not what that bolded sentence meant.

There is also a lot of people focusing on small parts of what people wrote that they disagree with and not paying attention to the rest of what people wrote. I don't think anyone, although maybe I missed someone, has said that we shouldn't or can't do anything. The dispute here is more about how to address the issue and what will be effective. In fact, I don't think anyone has even argued that we don't need more and better regulations on gun ownership or to reduce the number of guns in this country.

For my part, I certainly agree that we need to have more and better regulations on gun ownership, but that we also need to address issues like poverty, white supremacy, racism, and a culture that loves guns and doesn't care about the lives of people who are different than them. That includes finding a way to limit the power of the NRA which has gained a cult like following in this country. But, I also recognize that because the 2nd Amendment exits and says what it says, you can't just ban all guns and regulations will have to be tailored to not violate the 2nd Amendment. But, if you have a way to get around the 2nd Amendment, other than trying to find 5 judges that will just ignore it and put them on SCOTUS, or repealing it, I'd like to hear it.
pretty sure i've seen numerous posts similar to - (1) it's impossible to do, will never happen so we should just set our sights much much lower and (2) it doesn't matter, you can never get rid of the guns, the bad guys will still have guns, it's pointless

love ya widge

pretty sure i've seen numerous posts similar to - (1) it's impossible to do, will never happen so we should just set our sights much much lower and (2) it doesn't matter, you can never get rid of the guns, the bad guys will still have guns, it's pointless

love ya widge

Set our sites lower is different than "we shouldn't do anything because we can't do anything" and " it doesn't matter, you can never get rid of the guns, the bad guys will still have guns, it's pointless", no?

You're my boy, but honestly I haven't seen much, if any, of the usual NRA propaganda crap on this thread. I'm sure there are those lurking that likely feel that way, but I don't think anyone has taken the "if you ban guns, only criminals will have guns" much less the "you can pry my gun from my cold dead hand" approach.

And, seriously, if I thought you could ban all guns without any such law getting struck down, I'd be willing to seriously consider it as a solution. But, do you see any way around the 2nd Amendment? Especially considering the current structure of SCOTUS, the likely continued structure of SOTUS, and the actual wording of the 2nd Amendment?

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to make laws that restrict gun ownership by requiring real background checks, insurance coverage, training, etc., but you know as well as I do that if those laws aren't very narrowly tailored, they are going to get struck down by SCOTUS.

It seems like mass shootings became much more prevalent after Columbine. Does data back that up or is it that was around the explosion of 24 hour news channels and we just were exposed to more of the shootings?

"Could soon be"?

Shouldn't that say, 'most definitely will be"?
====================================

A 911 dispatcher was placed on leave and could soon be fired after allegedly hanging up on a supermarket employee who called to report last weekend's racist shooting rampage at the store in Buffalo, New York, while the attack was happening.

"Termination will be sought" for the dispatcher during a disciplinary hearing on May 30, Peter Anderson, a spokesperson for Erie Country, told Associated Press.

An internal investigation was prompted after an assistant office manager at Tops supermarket — where a white gunman shot and killed 10 Black people last Saturday — spoke about how a 911 dispatcher had hung up on her emergency call.

Latisha Rogers, 33, told The Buffalo News that she had whispered on the phone while hiding behind the customer service counter, hoping to remain unnoticed by the shooting suspect. The dispatcher "yelled" at her for it.

"She was yelling at me, saying, 'Why are you whispering? You don't have to whisper,'" Rogers told the outlet. "And I was telling her, 'Ma'am, he's still in the store. He's shooting. I'm scared for my life. I don't want him to hear me. Can you please send help?' She got mad at me, hung up in my face." ...........

Last edited:
"Could soon be"?

A 911 dispatcher was placed on leave and could soon be fired after allegedly hanging up on a supermarket employee who called to report last weekend's racist shooting rampage at the store in Buffalo, New York, while the attack was happening.

"Termination will be sought" for the dispatcher during a disciplinary hearing on May 30, Peter Anderson, a spokesperson for Erie Country, told Associated Press.

An internal investigation was prompted after an assistant office manager at Tops supermarket — where a white gunman shot and killed 10 Black people last Saturday — spoke about how a 911 dispatcher had hung up on her emergency call.

Latisha Rogers, 33, told The Buffalo News that she had whispered on the phone while hiding behind the customer service counter, hoping to remain unnoticed by the shooting suspect. The dispatcher "yelled" at her for it.

"She was yelling at me, saying, 'Why are you whispering? You don't have to whisper,'" Rogers told the outlet. "And I was telling her, 'Ma'am, he's still in the store. He's shooting. I'm scared for my life. I don't want him to hear me. Can you please send help?' She got mad at me, hung up in my face." ...........

I think the "could soon be" is likely because the 911 dispatcher is a city employee. I strongly suspect that they are part of a civil service system in Buffalo and that in order to fire them they have to go through a pretty difficult process, including a hearing, to prove that they need to be fired.

I think the "could soon be" is likely because the 911 dispatcher is a city employee. I strongly suspect that they are part of a civil service system in Buffalo and that in order to fire them they have to go through a pretty difficult process, including a hearing, to prove that they need to be fired.
Seems that the recording of that 911 call would be proof enough

There is also a lot of people focusing on small parts of what people wrote that they disagree with and not paying attention to the rest of what people wrote. I don't think anyone, although maybe I missed someone, has said that we shouldn't or can't do anything. The dispute here is more about how to address the issue and what will be effective. In fact, I don't think anyone has even argued that we don't need more and better regulations on gun ownership or to reduce the number of guns in this country.

For my part, I certainly agree that we need to have more and better regulations on gun ownership, but that we also need to address issues like poverty, white supremacy, racism, and a culture that loves guns and doesn't care about the lives of people who are different than them. That includes finding a way to limit the power of the NRA which has gained a cult like following in this country. But, I also recognize that because the 2nd Amendment exits and says what it says, you can't just ban all guns and regulations will have to be tailored to not violate the 2nd Amendment. But, if you have a way to get around the 2nd Amendment, other than trying to find 5 judges that will just ignore it and put them on SCOTUS, or repealing it, I'd like to hear it.
I just want to spring board off of your first sentence. Not as an argument, it just made me think of something.

Often, when I decide to nit pick one thing someone said, it's because I am challenging their assertion, which is often the basis for their argument or point of view.

Too often people equate things that actually aren't even in the same order of magnitude of good, bad, risk, damaging, etc.

I am always reminded of a funny, stupid, and really intelligent/wise saying my American Lit teacher (and Cross Country / Track Coach) had posted on his wall, amongst other quotes.

"Do Frogs wait 30 minutes after eating before getting in the water to swim?"

Quite a few things are parroted that have no basis in fact or reason. I'm sure I even do some. It's inevitable.

"Could soon be"?

A 911 dispatcher has been fired after a Tops employee trapped inside the Buffalo supermarket during last month’s mass shooting that killed 10 people said she was hung up on.

The Erie County dispatcher was placed on administrative leave last month after Latisha Rogers, an assistant office manager at the Tops supermarket, told the Buffalo News and WGRZ that she called 911 and whispered to the dispatcher in hope of making the official aware of the mass shooting unfolding at the grocery store.

But instead of assistance in a moment when she was “scared for my life,” Rogers said the 911 dispatcher dismissed her in “a very nasty tone.”
“The dispatcher comes on and I’m whispering to her and I said, ‘Miss, please send help to 1275 Jefferson there is a shooter in the store,’ ” Rogers told WGRZ.

“She proceeded in a very nasty tone and says, ‘I can’t hear you, why are you whispering? You don’t have to whisper, they can’t hear you,’ so I continued to whisper and I said, ‘Ma’am he’s still in the store, he’s still shooting! I’m scared for my life, please send help!’ Out of nervousness, my phone fell out of my hand, she said something I couldn’t make out, and then the phone hung up.”……..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom