Master and Commander prequel (1 Viewer)

Dago

Veteran
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So it looks like there is a prequel in the works that will have actors other than Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany playing the two main characters. That's a tall order to do successfully since I really enjoyed the first as well as Crowe and Bettany in it

So it looks like there is a prequel in the works that will have actors other than Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany playing the two main characters. That's a tall order to do successfully since I really enjoyed the first as well as Crowe and Bettany in it

I feel like this a criminally underrated movie.

P.S. The soundtrack is amazing as well.

There is a wonderful alternate universe where Master and Commander was just the start of a string of movies based on the Patrick O'Brien's Jack Aubrey novels instead of 17 schlocky movies based on a Disney World pirate flume ride.

I feel like this a criminally underrated movie.

P.S. The soundtrack is amazing as well.

I thought the movie was good, but it could have been so much better had they not combined two of the novels into one movie. Frankly the entire series of novels deserves the HBO series treatment. (Minus the disappointing ending.)

Last edited:
I thought the movie was good, but it could have been so much better had they not combined two of the novels into one book. Frankly the entire series of novels deserves the HBO series treatment. (Minus the disappointing ending.)
I'd like them to turn Ian Toll's Six Frigates into a mini-series.

It better be an origin story of Preserved Killick, the true star.

I thought the movie was good, but it could have been so much better had they not combined two of the novels into one book. Frankly the entire series of novels deserves the HBO series treatment. (Minus the disappointing ending.)

I'd like them to turn Ian Toll's Six Frigates into a mini-series.

Just as long as HBO picks something that is already completed.

I've never read the books it based on. The closet I've come to reading an age of sail period book is Shogun. That book has some naval combat in it, but that's not the primary focus.

I've never read the books it based on. The closet I've come to reading an age of sail period book is Shogun. That book has some naval combat in it, but that's not the primary focus.

The book series is excellent. It's called the Aubrey-Maturin Series by Patrick O'Brien. Very much so a realistic look at the English Navy of the period and naval tactics of the time combined with the interesting relationship between Jacky Aubrey and Stephen Maturin. Really excellent series that follows Aubrey's career starting when he gets his first command and meets Dr. Maturin.

Strangely enough, there is also a book series that uses the same characters and stories, but tells it in a Sci-Fi setting. That series is called the RCN Series or Leary-Mundy Series by David Drake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom