Great finish. They deserve it.

OP
guillermo

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, was not surprising to me at all. You see this a lot at the CFL.

sheltonwhodat

Very Banned
Reaction score
Stole it from the saints.. I forgot what game it was in but Payton did the same thing.

Fujitaboutit

All-Pro
Reaction score
couldn't believe no one gave john harbaugh flack for the non time out call up 4 with 230 left clock running. He would have traded a time out for thirty seconds and the two minute warning (as san fran was going to have to pass), which is huge if they would have needed to get a fg to tie/win.

zubaloo

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
couldn't believe no one gave john harbaugh flack for the non time out call up 4 with 230 left clock running. He would have traded a time out for thirty seconds and the two minute warning (as san fran was going to have to pass), which is huge if they would have needed to get a fg to tie/win.

If they hadn't held the Niners it would've been an issue. He bet on his defense and it paid off.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well played. But I don't get why Ginn didn't fair catch. The odds of a hail Mary have to better than the odds of a return.

And if you figure that the 49ers get one play (hail Mary) and they have to complete it to win - it doesn't matter whether the Ravens take the safety. But it did run then clock down to ensure that they only had one play.

But if the 49ers fair catch either way - the safety only eliminates the possibility of two 49ers plays.

Joshwa

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
What game it was in but Payton did the same thing.

2008 against the Chargers. In London.

Drew Brees ran around the endzone. Kinda squibbed the free kick. And Payton was ticked cause the Chargers were able to get one offensive play in.

OP
guillermo

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
John outcoached Jim.

As in our Superbowl, John coached to win. He gambled and it worked at the end.

The final sequence also tells me that John was better prepared, or at least was more intelligent in the last 2 minutes.

To me, the big surprise is the game called by Jim Caldwell, very aggressive from the beginning. I think Sean taught Caldwell that you don't win Superbowls just playing by the book.

sheltonwhodat

Very Banned
Reaction score
2008 against the Chargers. In London.

Drew Brees ran around the endzone. Kinda squibbed the free kick. And Payton was ticked cause the Chargers were able to get one offensive play in.

Thanks I knew I saw my saints do that before.

OP
guillermo

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That fake field goal could have been BIG

That wasn't a bad call, was bad execution. There is the tight end #84 that didn't attack the defender, just keep his lane. If the guy goes and do the block, they get the first down.

zubaloo

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Well played. But I don't get why Ginn didn't fair catch. The odds of a hail
Mary have to better than the odds of a return.

And if you figure that the 49ers get one play (hail Mary) and they have to complete it to win - it doesn't matter whether the Ravens take the safety. But it did run then clock down to ensure that they only had one play.

But if the 49ers fair catch either way - the safety only eliminates the possibility of two 49ers plays.

I think John had his team better prepared while Jim and the 9ers were in disarray at the end of the game. It came down to the difference of a few seconds for SF to have an opportunity to win and they weren't prepared and disciplined to do it.

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
JIm got outcoached and Kaep looked like a young inexperienced QB out there. Will all that said it still was a close game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom