Masterful strategy of the ravens at the end (1 Viewer)

JIm got outcoached and Kaep looked like a young inexperienced QB out there. Will all that said it still was a close game.

I think John had his team better prepared while Jim and the 9ers were in disarray at the end of the game. It came down to the difference of a few seconds for SF to have an opportunity to win and they weren't prepared and disciplined to do it.

I don't disagree with that. But I don't think the safety did anything more than run several (possibly important) seconds off of the clock. Either way, the 49ers were looking at one play. The safety simply ensured that it was only one play instead of possibly a quick out that got them a few yards and then a heave to the end zone.

As it turns out, the 49ers didn't even get themselves one play (on their own account).

I don't disagree with that. But I don't think the safety did anything more than run several (possibly important) seconds off of the clock. Either way, the 49ers were looking at one play. The safety simply ensured that it was only one play instead of possibly a quick out that got them a few yards and then a heave to the end zone.

As it turns out, the 49ers didn't even get themselves one play (on their own account).

Did a lot more than just that....

1) took away the block 100%
2) moved the kicker up 25 yards (huge - a rushed kick from 5 yards deep is not a gimme)

Amazing job by the punter to waste 8 seconds in the end zone, to get the clock down to 0:04. And the replays showed the Ravens intentionally holding the niners because a holding in the end zone would've been a safety too. No flag was thrown , just as it wasn't thrown on the 4th down play. Colin got blitzed and freaked on that play, like a guy starting only his 10th game. Had he run around the blitz, he probably scores. Had he just put the ball on the money instead of high-heaving it out of the endzone, maybe he gets the call.

I like John a lot better.. glad the ravens won even though I can no longer stand Ray Lewis and his drama. Jim cries about every play that doesn't go in favor of the niners.

Very masterfully when the refs are siding with you the entire game and decide that you can win it, by not flagging the Ravens at all for holding the entire game. That 4th and Goal call was one of the worst ever. Not just the holding and pass interference, they jumped off sides before that play even snapped. No call. I also want to point out the incredible number of times the Ravens facemasked the 49er players and not one call over it, including a sack on Kaepernick in the first quarter that resulted in a field goal, where his finger is clearly in Kaep's facemask. No call there, but they call the 49ers off sides every chance they get. This is 2005 all over again, the NFL wanted to send Ray Ray packing with a Super Bowl, just like they did Bettis and the Steelers by utterly screwing Seattle as hard as possible in that Super Bowl.

For the last 2 weeks I have known a guy constantly saying that the NFL was going to make sure Baltimore won this game, so they could send Lewis out as a champion. This guy preached it for the last 2 weeks straight that the refs would be incredibly biased towards Baltimore, and sure enough he was right. Those penalties on 3rd down helped them keep drives alive tremendously. Not to mention, 4th and Goal for the Niners. That was one of the worst no calls I have ever seen watching football. How was that not holding or pass interference? The Ravens offensive line got by with holding that entire game, no calls at all.

You can say what you want, and yes the 49ers made some mistakes, but there is not a doubt in my mind they got robbed this game on that 4th down and goal play. They got screwed as bad as it gets. Not as bad as Seattle, but this game will go down as one of the most poorly officiated games ever. Baltimore got every single call they needed, everything went their way tonight in the same way Pittsburgh needed 90 yards in penalties to beat a 9-7 Arizona team that barely made it to the playoffs in 2008, along with some really bad calls that went against the Cardinals.

The fix was in here. I hope the Ravens mail these refs a ring, they earned it tonight. MVP was the officials all the way for that 4th and goal play.

Well played. But I don't get why Ginn didn't fair catch. The odds of a hail Mary have to better than the odds of a return.

And if you figure that the 49ers get one play (hail Mary) and they have to complete it to win - it doesn't matter whether the Ravens take the safety. But it did run then clock down to ensure that they only had one play.

But if the 49ers fair catch either way - the safety only eliminates the possibility of two 49ers plays.

If 49ers fair catch they would have been around their own 20. Too far for a hail mary. That was what made the safety such a brilliant playcall.

kickoff return with 4 secs > punt return at midfield with 10 sec

genius, felt like sean payton was in the building

Very masterfully when the refs are siding with you the entire game and decide that you can win it, by not flagging the Ravens at all for holding the entire game. That 4th and Goal call was one of the worst ever. Not just the holding and pass interference, they jumped off sides before that play even snapped. No call. I also want to point out the incredible number of times the Ravens facemasked the 49er players and not one call over it, including a sack on Kaepernick in the first quarter that resulted in a field goal, where his finger is clearly in Kaep's facemask. No call there, but they call the 49ers off sides every chance they get. This is 2005 all over again, the NFL wanted to send Ray Ray packing with a Super Bowl, just like they did Bettis and the Steelers by utterly screwing Seattle as hard as possible in that Super Bowl.

For the last 2 weeks I have known a guy constantly saying that the NFL was going to make sure Baltimore won this game, so they could send Lewis out as a champion. This guy preached it for the last 2 weeks straight that the refs would be incredibly biased towards Baltimore, and sure enough he was right. Those penalties on 3rd down helped them keep drives alive tremendously. Not to mention, 4th and Goal for the Niners. That was one of the worst no calls I have ever seen watching football. How was that not holding or pass interference? The Ravens offensive line got by with holding that entire game, no calls at all.

You can say what you want, and yes the 49ers made some mistakes, but there is not a doubt in my mind they got robbed this game on that 4th down and goal play. They got screwed as bad as it gets. Not as bad as Seattle, but this game will go down as one of the most poorly officiated games ever. Baltimore got every single call they needed, everything went their way tonight in the same way Pittsburgh needed 90 yards in penalties to beat a 9-7 Arizona team that barely made it to the playoffs in 2008, along with some really bad calls that went against the Cardinals.

The fix was in here. I hope the Ravens mail these refs a ring, they earned it tonight. MVP was the officials all the way for that 4th and goal play.
Man, if I thought this way, I would never watch the NFL. Why do you watch? Just wondering, because if you believe the whole thing is rigged, then why even bother to watch?

The refs didn't force James to fumble. The refs didn't allow Jacoby Jones to return a kick over 100 yds or to catch a 50+ yd TD. This is all just crazy conspiracy theories. If you honestly believe this is what happened then you probably also believe that the NFL gave the Saints a trophy because of Katrina. Is that what you are saying right now?

Preople need to watch that saftey in the endzone again. I couldn't believe how bad the Ravens were holding on that play. I forget who the culprits were, but there were more thay one, and right in front of the refs. It was Obvious, but still glad the the 9ers lost.

As in our Superbowl, John coached to win. He gambled and it worked at the end.

The final sequence also tells me that John was better prepared, or at least was more intelligent in the last 2 minutes.

To me, the big surprise is the game called by Jim Caldwell, very aggressive from the beginning. I think Sean taught Caldwell that you don't win Superbowls just playing by the book.

Exactly, that fake FG at the end of the half was a kill ****. I didn't like the call because it was 3rd and 9. He trusted his defense to get a stop.

Preople need to watch that saftey in the endzone again. I couldn't believe how bad the Ravens were holding on that play. I forget who the culprits were, but there were more thay one, and right in front of the refs. It was Obvious, but still glad the the 9ers lost.

Even if the refs throw a flag for holding, they couldn't have stopped the play and the clock runs until the play is over. A holding call would not have put time back on the clock. The penalty for the holding call would have been a safety which is exactly what the Ravens wanted. So, even if the refs had called holding, the end result would have been exactly the same.

John not only made the right call, but he made sure his players knew the situation and prepared them to take full advantage of it.

It's a bit of a loophole in the rules that allows a team to intentionally commit a penalty to their advantage.

I dont get the issue with the holding in the endzone on the safety. It would have lead to the same outcome even if it was called, albeit the Niners may have had another 2 seconds. Under no circumstances was Koch to be tackled, that was the instruction. You could see that by the way he cradles the ball. Good coaching and execution.

On the flip side why are the perimeter Niner players are not putting him under more pressure to run out of bounds earlier? Its not like they have to worry about a fake punt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom