Match Up Matchups vs Tampa Bay (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
There are a few key matchups in Saints/Bucs matchup this week, and the team that wins the most, will have the best shot at taking home the “W.”

Everything starts up front in the trenches. The Saints OL has to be aggressive and control the LoS. I have total faith in the Saints OTs, but whoever takes over for Peat has to at least match what Peat was giving the Saints. Consistency has always been Peat’s biggest weakness, but when he’s “on” he’s really solid. The Saints just need Clapp or Easton to be as good as the “average” Peat.

With Lattimore almost certainly OUT for this game, the matchups for the Saints defense are somewhat tenuous vs the Bucs pass catchers. The Bucs have started using OJ Howard more, and he can be a difficult mark. Vonn Bell and the LBs have to play well.
I imagine the Saints will match Apple up on Evans, and give Safety help to PJ on the other side against Godwin. This is the biggest advantage the Bucs have in the game (on paper). Good/consistent pressure on Winston from the front 4 is essential.
Eli Apple has what looks like a couple of weeks to earn some real money as a FA next Spring. If he can show that he can handle #1 CB duty for this stretch, somebody’s going to pay him handsomely.

What are some other matchups you see as key for the game?

Godwin actually lines up in the slot most of the time.

I did a whole thing on matchups vs the Falcons. I said I didn’t see any way the Falcons could run the ball (narrator: they did). I said it made a lot more sense for us to attack them through the air since their YPC Rush defense Was very good. Unfortunately, Payton agreed and we were both wrong.

So I’m out of the matchup business :LOL: :LOL:

Our rushing attack vs the interior of the Bucs DL. All day.

Bucs have a high ranked (maybe even tops in the league) rush defense. That may be a product of their awful pass defense, but it’s statistically solid nonetheless.
Regardless, the Saints to stick with the run more than the ghastly 11 attempts they had vs the Clowns.
The Bucs are also bad at defending opposing TEs, so Cook, Hill, Taysom, maybe even Dan Arnold could be factors.

Godwin actually lines up in the slot most of the time.

I think that will actually work in our favor since CGJ will play the slot with Apple and PJ on the edges. PJ’s weakness is deep
Speed where that’s Godwin’s strength.

There are a few key matchups in Saints/Bucs matchup this week, and the team that wins the most, will have the best shot at taking home the “W.”

Everything starts up front in the trenches. The Saints OL has to be aggressive and control the LoS. I have total faith in the Saints OTs, but whoever takes over for Peat has to at least match what Peat was giving the Saints. Consistency has always been Peat’s biggest weakness, but when he’s “on” he’s really solid. The Saints just need Clapp or Easton to be as good as the “average” Peat.

With Lattimore almost certainly OUT for this game, the matchups for the Saints defense are somewhat tenuous vs the Bucs pass catchers. The Bucs have started using OJ Howard more, and he can be a difficult mark. Vonn Bell and the LBs have to play well.
I imagine the Saints will match Apple up on Evans, and give Safety help to PJ on the other side against Godwin. This is the biggest advantage the Bucs have in the game (on paper). Good/consistent pressure on Winston from the front 4 is essential.
Eli Apple has what looks like a couple of weeks to earn some real money as a FA next Spring. If he can show that he can handle #1 CB duty for this stretch, somebody’s going to pay him handsomely.

What are some other matchups you see as key for the game?

Bringing this back. The Saints won every matchup you mentioned.

-OL dominated with Easton in place of Peat
-DBs more than held their own. We played Williams on Evans w safety help instead of Apple, but regardless, your point stands.
-Bell and company shut down Howard. In fact, Williams popped that ball free that led to an INT

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom