Math/Football Question - WARNING Falcon Related (1 Viewer)

BiloxiSaint1

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
So I saw the below graph posted in an aricle about the Falcons Ito Smith. Can soneone explain to me how Ito Smith being the #6 "Most Elusive Running Back" is such a great thing if the guy is averaging just 3.2 ypc? Is he being elusive behind Atlanta's sorry run blocking O line and avoiding TFLs?

Screenshot_20181020-214543.png

Lol yeah. On average he has a defender closing on him at 1.3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I'm sure it's a mixed bag of plays like most stats. Make a guy miss and still get a TFL then make a guy miss and gain a few yards. Maybe bust a big run and pump your average.

I am curious how they figure that stat. If you just get tackled is that a 0 on your average? Kind of a weird stat when you think about it. I'd prefer to see missed tackles forced per rush for elusiveness. Having open yards after you force a missed tackle is great, but what is that really telling you?

Lol yeah. On average he has a defender closing on him at 1.3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I'm sure it's a mixed bag of plays like most stats. Make a guy miss and still get a TFL then make a guy miss and gain a few yards. Maybe bust a big run and pump your average.

I am curious how they figure that stat. If you just get tackled is that a 0 on your average? Kind of a weird stat when you think about it. I'd prefer to see missed tackles forced per rush for elusiveness.

I agree. Its almost like they invented a stat for marketing purposes... Atlanta is a big market I suppose. Lol

My immediate reaction to the list was "how is Kamara not one of the NFL's most elusive backs?" Then I realized that Kamara doesn't allow defenders to close within one yard. :hihi:

There are always anomalies. A stat like "elusiveness" is pretty dependent on some fairly subjective judgments I suspect. There's gotta be different guys watching tape, doing the measurements, and it's not always so cut and dry when you get to these more obscure stats. Yards gained? that's pretty simple. But "elusiveness"? Elusiveness tries to measure something that's very hard to measure with consistency. So, yeah, you'll get the outliers statistically.

And look at record of half those teams.

The words falcon related and Ito Smith mentioned together in the same sentence hurts my heart. I'm not sure about how the stats are gathered, or how accurate they may seem, but he is definitely elusive. Had we got to him first, he would have much better numbers, and he would be a fan favorite in New Orleans. Biased but true non the less

The words falcon related and Ito Smith mentioned together in the same sentence hurts my heart. I'm not sure about how the stats are gathered, or how accurate they may seem, but he is definitely elusive. Had we got to him first, he would have much better numbers, and he would be a fan favorite in New Orleans. Biased but true non the less

I knew one of our USM SR members would come forward. Sorry about Ito. It must hurt.

It means their offensive line stinks and is getting hit in the backfield a lot. Same stat I suppose Ingram had his first couple years here when the offensive line and his inexperience worked to make bad things happen. Now I’ll take our OLine and a RB who knows how to hit a hole.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom