Matt Forte stock is rising. (1 Viewer)

where yat brah

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Gulf Breeze, FL via NOLA via Donaldsonville/Frankl
WWL this morning mentions in sports that 5 LSU players will be participating in this weekend's Senior Bowl. They even mention that Matt Flynn will not be participating.No mention of Matt Forte. Shame shame.

Why would they cover him? I mean, LSU is the local school, Tulane isn't... Oh, wait, Tulane Is the local school and LSU isn't.

Well, Tulane students are not local, they are from miles away. Matt Forte, being a Tulane athlete, is obviously not from the area... oh, wait, isn't Slidell local (I remember seeing lots of ads about car dealers there).

Well, Matt Forte didn't do anything to warrant being mentioned, I mean it wasn't as if he rushed for over 2000 yards in a season...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/22/risers.sliders2/index.html

Matt Forte/RB/Tulane: Forte is drawing comparisons to Dorsey Levens after the first two practices. He's displayed power, vision and surprising foot quickness carrying the ball.

I hear he has gained the weight back he lost during the season and those that had not included him in their top 10 RB's of the draft are going to be making major revisions. He has been working out in Ft. Lauderdale to get his 40 time down and CBT has said the guy is a workout-a-holic.

Later this afternoon, the guy wwl sent to Mobile checked in with Bobby and Kenny. They quickly asked which lsu player was making the biggest impact on the scouts and the reporter went on a rampage about Matt being the talk of the pro scouts. Said he was simply plastering people. My guess he will get a very stern reprimand and properly instructed before his next report.

I would take him in the 5th round.

WWL this morning mentions in sports that 5 LSU players will be participating in this weekend's Senior Bowl. They even mention that Matt Flynn will not be participating.No mention of Matt Forte. Shame shame.

Why would they cover him? I mean, LSU is the local school, Tulane isn't... Oh, wait, Tulane Is the local school and LSU isn't.

Well, Tulane students are not local, they are from miles away. Matt Forte, being a Tulane athlete, is obviously not from the area... oh, wait, isn't Slidell local (I remember seeing lots of ads about car dealers there).

Well, Matt Forte didn't do anything to warrant being mentioned, I mean it wasn't as if he rushed for over 2000 yards in a season...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/01/22/risers.sliders2/index.html

Matt Forte/RB/Tulane: Forte is drawing comparisons to Dorsey Levens after the first two practices. He's displayed power, vision and surprising foot quickness carrying the ball.

I hear he has gained the weight back he lost during the season and those that had not included him in their top 10 RB's of the draft are going to be making major revisions. He has been working out in Ft. Lauderdale to get his 40 time down and CBT has said the guy is a workout-a-holic.

Later this afternoon, the guy wwl sent to Mobile checked in with Bobby and Kenny. They quickly asked which lsu player was making the biggest impact on the scouts and the reporter went on a rampage about Matt being the talk of the pro scouts. Said he was simply plastering people. My guess he will get a very stern reprimand and properly instructed before his next report.

This attitude is why Tulane athletics get very little respect. The insecure little-brother angle isn't very becoming. LSU just won the title, and they're the major state school; of course their players are going to draw more interest.

And for the record, I genuinely like seeing all local schools do well (I just don't root as hard as I do for LSU), and I like Matt Forte. I think he'll do very well in the league.

Over here, I am unable to pick up 690 and since I am interested in the happenings within New Orleans, I must get this from WWL. Why you don't want to realize that WWL has an agenda to omit noteworthy infromation on the Zephyrs, Hornets, UNO and Tulane from their broadcasts, I don't want to know. Buddy D was the only wwl personality that provided information on sports that wasn't lsu and wasn't scolded by the station. lsu will always draw "more" attention (the vast majority) but that doesn't mean it has to draw "all" of the attention. He's a local guy and I see no reason he shouldn't be mentioned.

And I always thought it was due to their W/L record.

LOL, well they go hand-in-hand. It's kinda like the chicken and the egg. Does a crappy attitude produce even crappier on-field results, or vice versa? Really, Bowden/Rodriguez, and Perry Clark leaving that school were the worst things that could've happened to that program. They left and took the pride and fight with them.

Over here, I am unable to pick up 690 and since I am interested in the happenings within New Orleans, I must get this from WWL. Why you don't want to realize that WWL has an agenda to omit noteworthy infromation on the Zephyrs, Hornets, UNO and Tulane from their broadcasts, I don't want to know. Buddy D was the only wwl personality that provided information on sports that wasn't lsu and wasn't scolded by the station. lsu will always draw "more" attention (the vast majority) but that doesn't mean it has to draw "all" of the attention. He's a local guy and I see no reason he shouldn't be mentioned.

They've actually been pimping the Hornets lately. They're winning. The Zephyrs...I mean what do you want? It's minor league baseball in a major league city. Their support will always be more cult-like than anything else. I'll tell you this much, when Tulane and UNO WIN, they get coverage. That's a fact. During the Bowden and Perry Clark eras, they got lots of local coverage and all the games were broadcast on WWL. That's the factor you keep overlooking. They don't win, so people either forget about them or just flat out don't care. Forte, unfortunately, is a victim of this.

The only knock on Forte is his ability to pick up blitz's....he was a main threat on offense and was most often toting the rock or going out for passes....he rarely was used to help pick up oncoming DL...LB's or Safety blitz's...but the kid will definitely give it his all wherever he lands...hope to see alot of him this weekend...:9:

During the Bowden and Perry Clark eras, they got lots of local coverage and all the games were broadcast on WWL.

Exactly. When Tulane left WWL, the managament instituted a policy that is the topic of another thread that is very well known among local radio circles. I couldn't give a rat's behind how the major % of airtime of wwl is spent, but at least give basic scores and local info during the "sports" update. UNO, Zephyr and Wave scores should at least be given and are not provided the morning after in most cases.

This thread is about a great future NFL player from the New Orleans area, and I expressed my displeasure of not hearing more about him from the only area radio station that I can pick up.

Another thread could be about how other NBA cities' radio stations don't wait for their hometown team to start winning before they start reporting on them. I've lived in Miami and Chicago and you'll hear AM radio talk on the Heat and Bulls when they're losing not just winning.

Back on topic, Forte will continue to impress in Indy and the combine.

Exactly. When Tulane left WWL, the managament instituted a policy that is the topic of another thread that is very well known among local radio circles. I couldn't give a rat's behind how the major % of airtime of wwl is spent, but at least give basic scores and local info during the "sports" update. UNO, Zephyr and Wave scores should at least be given and are not provided the morning after in most cases.

This thread is about a great future NFL player from the New Orleans area, and I expressed my displeasure of not hearing more about him from the only area radio station that I can pick up.

Another thread could be about how other NBA cities' radio stations don't wait for their hometown team to start winning before they start reporting on them. I've lived in Miami and Chicago and you'll hear AM radio talk on the Heat and Bulls when they're losing not just winning.

Back on topic, Forte will continue to impress in Indy and the combine.

I don't advocate much of anything that WWL does, but I can rationalize it somewhat. They really need to do a better job with the Hornets, but they have been as of late. But, this problem isn't exclusive to WWL. The news station I worked for in San Antonio hardly covered their (UNO-like) D-I college basketball team, nor their AA baseball team.

I wish Forte the best though, like I said before, I think he'll do very well. If blitz pickup is his only concern, he'll have a great career b/c that can be learned. I really like his running style.

I saw Forte being shown during the Senior Bowl practices on NFL Net last night. The volume was down so I couldn't hear what they were saying, but he got quite a bit of camera time.

More on Forte from ESPN

* Tulane RB Matt Forte is making some money in Mobile this week. The 6-foot-1, 221-pound back is proving to scouts on hand that the nation's second-leading rusher in 2007 is not simply a function of lower-level FBS competition. In fact, he is standing out as the most complete back thus far on the South roster -- and that includes Georgia Tech standout Tashard Choice

Forte is a strong, compact runner who displays good burst
through the line of scrimmage. He has soft hands and is very comfortable catching the football. He also shows good instincts and the strength to anchor as a pass-blocker. Outside of Arkansas' Darren McFadden and Illinois' Rashard Mendenhall

Forte could be the highest-rated running back weighing in
at 215-plus pounds in a deep 2008 class.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom