Matt Hasselbeck on Teddy Bridgewater (1 Viewer)

Hard to tell what teddy will do. I believe if he stays here a few years, he will replace drew as the starter. He has proven one thing he can win games. He can stay stay here and possibly be drews backup for a couple of years and inherit a really good team. Then make a arse ton of money by playing a long career. If he goes to a bad team he could be out the league in 5 years. It all depends what he wants.
If you can get teddy for 20 mill a year its a steal for any team. Top QBs going for 30 mill plus these years. They one thing that may help us get him back is the qbs that may be available this year(CAM, Winston, Marriota, Even Foles may be available via a trade). Add that to a good draft for QBprospects, teams may not push for Teddy.

As for being a place holder, Teddy is nowhere close to being just a placeholder. He is a young starting caliber QB. After not playing for so long he seems to play better and better each week.

For drafting QBs, It seems its one of the Biggest crap shoots in the NFL. You could end up win a Tribisky just as easy as you can get a Mahomes.

If we can keep Teddy i would prefer us to go get a true number 2 WR next year. Ginn is going to call it a career eventually. This years draft has a lot of potentially good QBs. We can probably get one later in the draft.

I agree with this sentiment. How much has the Saints offense -- and Teddy's success been on the ability of Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara having big games? Those two guys are generational talents. Teddy is the perfect fit for where he is now. But I can't imagine building a team around him. Not saying he won't be successful somewhere, but I just think he's in an amazing spot right now.

It depends on the contract offers. If someone offers him double what we do he leaves. I don’t think anyone will.

I'll make you a bet that he makes at least double what we're paying him on his next contract. In fact I'll give you an extra $1 million cushion just to be nice. His next contract will be $15mm AAV or more. Loser of the bet deletes their account permanently. You in?

I don't think its a dig at a guy who I believe is probably a middle of the road starter. Bridgewater wont carry a team. He is going to require a good defense and run game. But he isn't going to lose games, its just unlikely he will be the sole reason a team wins. He can manage games, he is a typical game manager style QB. And to be roughly the 18-22ndish best QB in the world after what happened to his leg is not a dig IMO.

I personally would love to have him as a backup, as I don't think Brees hangs it up this year. But as a long term starter, I just don't see it in the cards. Brees will be the QB here until he is 50 if he chooses. I think Bridgewater may face a similar fate this offseason. He can either go to an awful team or sign here again as the backup.

I do think theres something to Brady and Brees eyeing eachother. I think this injury gave Brees a window into retirement that he doesn't like, yet. Id say he plays 2 more years. Would Bridgewater rather go to Washington, Denver or Cincinatti as a starter or keep biding his time here?

I think we all agree we are spoiled in what we have in drew brees. I mean imho best qb of all time stat wise. Anyone we put at qb after drew retires will never ever fill his shoes. I agree wth the fact that we are winning alot because we are surrounding teddy with a incredible team especially defense. But When you compare teddy to all other nfl QBs. Hes maybe middle of the pack qaulity wise? I do think another year or 2 under drew he could be dangerous. I'm afraid in the qb market we are gonna pay far more with less output than we get from drew. Having said that teddy has flashes of awesome playing and I do see potential. Gonna be interesting to see what peyton does next year or the year when drew retires

I got the impression he was implying without incredible defense Teddy wasn’t going to be carrying this team.

Most QBs need ample talent around them to be successful. Hasselbeck certainly did. It’s a short list of guys like Drew and Brady who can make it work at a high level offensively with a revolving cast of overlooked role players.

Teddy has had some nice moments in this stretch of games. More importantly, he kept game-killing mistakes to a minimum. That’s not at all insignificant.

There are clearly areas of his game that need work and if he’s able to reach his full potential, he’s in a great place to succeed. Payton knows what he has in him and whether he’s worth a future investment. I really don’t understand the amount of time some are putting into worrying about next year, and the eventual next chapter, when it’s been clear for a decade and a half that this team is in exceptional hands offensively. If ever trust was deserved, it’s Payton’s offensive vision and coaching.

I'll make you a bet that he makes at least double what we're paying him on his next contract. In fact I'll give you an extra $1 million cushion just to be nice. His next contract will be $15mm AAV or more. Loser of the bet deletes their account permanently. You in?

@Saint Greg I'm going to take the fact that you "clowned" this post without bothering to respond as a tacit admission that you know you're completely full of **** and are afraid to back up the worthless trash you spew all over this forum. I'm not surprised, but I'm disappointed that you are too scared to give me the opportunity to rid the board of one of its worst posters.

He's right...

I'm not sure why some of us can't be happy for what Teddy has done for us in the Win column... But at the same time, be 100% honest about him as a player?

We have the best combination of Offensive and Defensive lines in football right now... That's the reason we are winning...

Teddy has done his job (and then some) as the backup QB for this team.

But he's not a franchise QB from what I have seen - past or present.

Not sure why pointing out what my eyes see is somehow hate or a slight on Teddy... because it's not.

If the teams' personnel and situation stays the way it is currently (dominant Lines on both sides of the ball)... we can win games with Teddy.

That doesn't make him a franchise QB, and it doesn't make him worth top QB money... and just because other teams have grossly overpaid guys like Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, etc. Doesn't mean we have any reason to do the same based on precedence.

Last edited:
The constant "moving goal post" with regards to Teddy is amazing. First, he only did because of a great cast, Then, he couldn't do it against a great Defense. Now, he doesn't "elevate" the talent around him. I'm sorry, but didn't he DISSECT the Bears without Kamara, or Cook or a legit WR2 ON THE ROAD!!!!! smh

He was on Golic and Wingo this morning talking about Teddy. He was asked if he was a GM would he throw starter money at Teddy and he said not a chance.
His reasoning was Teddy doesn’t elevate the players around him. He needs incredible players to be a good QB. He felt his ceiling was Alex Smith which isn’t bad but teams weren’t going to be lining up for Teddy next year.
I can see what he means and that’s not saying Teddy is a bad QB but not sure he is worth $20-30 mil a year.

The only thing Hasselbeck ever "lifted" was the Green Bay secondary in that infamous playoff moment. Couldn't ever "lift" the Seachickens to a title, as he lost his only SB appearance. Interesting how talking heads who famously lost their chances for SB rings will spout these sorts of things about current players. Collinsworth does much the same.

Teddy stands a chance a major payday, either here or elsewhere, due to the mere fact that the market for QBs keeps going up and up and up.

The constant "moving goal post" with regards to Teddy is amazing. First, he only did because of a great cast, Then, he couldn't do it against a great Defense. Now, he doesn't "elevate" the talent around him. I'm sorry, but didn't he DISSECT the Bears without Kamara, or Cook or a legit WR2 ON THE ROAD!!!!! smh

I cant argue too much with that. But that moving goalpost works both ways. When he has a bad series, takes a sack after pump faking 11 times, misses wide open receivers, refuses to throw a receiver open, refuses to run Paytons offense with the shock plays because of lack of confidence (7 yard flea flickers) - its the same excuse, he hasn't played in 3 years.

I will agree with you, it is a moving goal post - but I think theres a reason its a moving goal post. Game manager QBs I think probably all suffer from a bit of moving goal post syndrome.

@Saint Greg I'm going to take the fact that you "clowned" this post without bothering to respond as a tacit admission that you know you're completely full of **** and are afraid to back up the worthless trash you spew all over this forum. I'm not surprised, but I'm disappointed that you are too scared to give me the opportunity to rid the board of one of its worst posters.
Dems fighting words!

Teddy has been solid and poised facing some real adversity. It’s been a tough stretch of games and the Saints have a growing list of offensive skill players out with injuries.

5-0 without Drew. Dominant yesterday without Kamara and Cook. 6-1 after being down a returning contributor at WR, and another for most of that stretch.

We lost a FHoF QB and his backup came in and actually helped this team on its way to an undefeated stretch and it’s the same fans complaining and nitpicking every week. And that isn’t to say his game is above criticism, but that some can’t seem to appreciate what he’s been a part of, or see that he is still a young guy with limited experience who has clearly demonstrated that he has some actual talent to work with, no matter what he does, or how well he plays, or what circumstances he and the team are facing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom