Matt Hasselbeck on Teddy Bridgewater (1 Viewer)

He was on Golic and Wingo this morning talking about Teddy. He was asked if he was a GM would he throw starter money at Teddy and he said not a chance.
His reasoning was Teddy doesn’t elevate the players around him. He needs incredible players to be a good QB. He felt his ceiling was Alex Smith which isn’t bad but teams weren’t going to be lining up for Teddy next year.
I can see what he means and that’s not saying Teddy is a bad QB but not sure he is worth $20-30 mil a year.
he only said that because he was no good.

That’s a harsh take but there’s truth to that. Bridgewater success will largely depend on where he ends up. That’s not different than 90% of the QBs in the league. Some team should and will offer him a hefty contract. If he’s smart, he goes after fit vs money. Money will always be there as long as the fit is good. What he does this offseason and where he ends up will tell you everything about Bridgewater and where his mindset is.

If he stays with the Saints even on another 1 year deal, I think he’s for sure the heir apparent.

He should get paid. Was Brees worth his contract when we were 7-9 those years? I’d say yes. Even HOF qbs can’t put teams on their backs and win games. Teddy has been really good when asked to throw the ball. If we had less dropped passes he would really be pumped up. He’s definitely elevating the team.

This is actually a really good point and raises the question, would you rather Joe Flacco or Teddy Bridgewater running your offense?
The eye test tells you that that's not even a question to ask at this point.

That’s a harsh take but there’s truth to that. Bridgewater success will largely depend on where he ends up. That’s not different than 90% of the QBs in the league. Some team should and will offer him a hefty contract. If he’s smart, he goes after fit vs money. Money will always be there as long as the fit is good. What he does this offseason and where he ends up will tell you everything about Bridgewater and where his mindset is.

If he stays with the Saints even on another 1 year deal, I think he’s for sure the heir apparent.

Yeah, I think Bridgewater has shown that he can be a pretty good starter, but he’s not in that top group that will be awesome on just any team, in any organization.

He will have to weigh both fit and money, like you said.

All the folks waiting for the next game for Teddy to show them something reminded me of this cartoon.

Every line is the next game.

And yes, eventually there will be a cliff.

Smart money says Teddy stays, looking ahead to be in the driver's seat of the Lamborghini rather than settling for a Ford, Toyota, or possibly a Yugo.

Yeah but real money that you can actually use to buy things with and feed your family says he's going to take the $100 million.

Any other notions are pure wishful thinking. He's gone unless Brees retires or we somehow commit to him as a long-term starter after Brees, including financially.

I think Teddy is a 3rd tier QB, and I'm not trying to sound derogatory. Many starting QB's are 3rd tier. Only a handful of backups are 3rd tier, most are 4th tier.

Teddy has had a rough time, but is still young. He can still possibly work his way up to the 2nd tier, where only the Brady's, Brees', Mahomes' types are better.

I think Teddy is a 3rd tier QB, and I'm not trying to sound derogatory. Many starting QB's are 3rd tier. Only a handful of backups are 3rd tier, most are 4th tier.

Teddy has had a rough time, but is still young. He can still possibly work his way up to the 2nd tier, where only the Brady's, Brees', Mahomes' types are better.

Who is in your tier 2?

Who is in your tier 2?

Probably 1/3 or more of the starters in the NFL. Matty, Cousins, Wilson, Watson, Wentz, Goff... you know, franchise guys that are very good, but aren't killers like Brees, Brady, and Mahomes. It's not an exact thing, just loose groupings.

Who is in your tier 2?

Mine would be guys like Watson , Jackson, Stafford, Rivers, Cousins the way he's played the last 3 weeks. Maybe a few others. They can move around any given week. Teddy can get into the second tier, although he's arguably already there. None of those guys have perfect records though.

Probably 1/3 or more of the starters in the NFL. Matty, Cousins, Wilson, Watson, Wentz, Goff... you know, franchise guys that aren't killers like Brees, Brady, and Mahomes. It's not an exact thing, just loose groupings.

That's fair, and I think that's about right.

I actually want to start a bye week thread to 1) tier the NFL qbs and 2) see where everyone thinks Bridgewater sits. Would be an interesting exercise to kill the two week gap. But I want to let his whole time as a starter play out first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom