Saints Matt Moscona has a realistic outlook on Payton Turner’s role in 2023 (1 Viewer)

He has to stay on the field
Turner had the highest win rate as a pass rusher among defensive line players from last year's roster. If he can keep that up on significantly higher snaps, we might have something there.
He has to stay on the field and be available. That’s been his problem just like Davenport

Turner had the highest win rate as a pass rusher among defensive line players from last year's roster. If he can keep that up on significantly higher snaps, we might have something there.
I’m probably his biggest fan (UH alum) but if he can’t stay healthy then I don’t care what stats he had last year

If he gets hurt again this year I say we cut bait and move on. 13 out of 34 games for a 1st round pick is terrible.
We’ll be in the same spot we were with Davenport after year three, the question is whether we pick up the fifth year option again. He’ll stick around if we do.

We’ll be in the same spot we were with Davenport after year three, the question is whether we pick up the fifth year option again. He’ll stick around if we do.
I'd be leary about it. Davenport had 9 sacks so we picked up his 5th year option. Then he followed that up with 1 sack and more injuries and now he's gone.

I'd be leary about it. Davenport had 9 sacks so we picked up his 5th year option. Then he followed that up with 1 sack and more injuries and now he's gone.
I agree on hesitating, but worth noting we took the fifth year option after Davenport’s 1.5 sack 2020. Teams have to make a decision on the 5th year option during the year four off-season.

And yet he was a healthy scratch for a few games last season.
He wasn’t reliable or consistent as DA put it. The talent is there, as are the flashes but he needs to have a FULL offseason and Training camp for starters.

He’s yet to get fully coached up because he’s always injured during learning periods.

We let Hendrickson walk thinking Davenport was the long-term answer and drafted Turner to be his counterpart…sometimes you need a crystal ball.

Last edited:
We let Hendricks walk thinking Davenport was the long-term answer and drafted Turner to be his counterpart…sometimes you need a crystal ball.
If you mean Hendrickson, for the tenth millionth time, the Saints didn’t have the cap space to afford bringing him back. They didn’t just let him walk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom