Saints Matt Moscona has a realistic outlook on Payton Turner’s role in 2023 (1 Viewer)

He has to stay on the field

He has to stay on the field and be available. That’s been his problem just like Davenport
That play last year where he stuffed a 4th and 1 run for loss then got hurt because someone rolled up on his ankle while he was making the tackle has been a microcosm for his career.

Seems like every other year we reach for a project DE with huge potential and a problematic injury history.
I know it's hindsight but when we select this year's early rd edge rusher can we just play safe and take a high floor medium ceiling guy who won't miss over half his career in NOLA with injuries and then jump ship to a hated rival.

If you mean Hendrickson, for the tenth millionth time, the Saints didn’t have the cap space to afford bringing him back. They didn’t just let him walk
Thanks for the correction on the name. Miss on my part and I’ll edit.

If Loomis has not proven this yet, “for the tenth millionth time”, the Saints can find room in the cap to pay who they want. We gave Byrd the largest Safety contract ever (at that time) and had almost no cap. We went after Watson and we were negative cap at the time.

Loomis can easily find $30m based on how contracts are written. Nick Underhill had to teach this class, earlier this offseason, when he took Nick Wright to school.

If he were anything other than a 1st round pick, he probably wouldnt be on this team. This TC is do or die for him. I dont expect him to be a starter, but it would be a win if he could just be a moderately dependable situational pass rusher.

You cant talk about win rates with him. He doesnt play enough to even consider it. The guy was a healthy scratch in several games. Stop it with that "highest win rate" spin doctor crap. Its like saying an 8 year minor league baseball player can win the batting title because he went 3 for 7 with 3 walks in 3 games after he got an injury call up.

Matt makes solid point, which had me do a little research on our starting DE opposite Cam. Carl The Truth Granderson, (ok I made the first part up) After watching this I feel better about that side. Unsung hero, if he did more galavanting, perhaps folding his arms in front of Tom Brady, then hes a highly prized FA. I’m glad he’s got a workman style, and not a flip flam artist! How do I post a video without it blacking out?

Last edited:
We let Hendrickson walk thinking Davenport was the long-term answer and drafted Turner to be his counterpart…sometimes you need a crystal ball.
Or don't draft combine freaks, take the stout, thicker more farmer type strength guys. The combine numbers don't often translate to football. . . .over 6'5 and your bound to have more injuries imo. From what I recall from the limited snaps he's played, it's been reckless, careless dissregard for his body, same with Davenport. Pecs get torn, ankles busted etc. Need more thought then "me bull rush". The huge offensive linemen know this and use it against them.

He’s had some flashes, so hopefully he turns it around. If not, it’ll be a gut punch at the DE position after letting Hendrickson walk and Davenport not working out.

Thanks for the correction on the name. Miss on my part and I’ll edit.

If Loomis has not proven this yet, “for the tenth millionth time”, the Saints can find room in the cap to pay who they want. We gave Byrd the largest Safety contract ever (at that time) and had almost no cap. We went after Watson and we were negative cap at the time.

Loomis can easily find $30m based on how contracts are written. Nick Underhill had to teach this class, earlier this offseason, when he took Nick Wright to school.
This was during the covid season. We absolutely could not do everything that we were going to do because the cap didn't go up as expected.

Great piece by Matt. Still IMHO a mistake to rely on Turner turning the corner for us this year.

And I’m still mystified how we let a highly productive young Ellis walk.

I think we must go DE with one of the first two picks.

I think you always pick up the 5th year option except on rare occasions. No long term commitment involved and the player can at least provide deph. Should always take advantage of that 1st round perk in my opinion

Both plays ?
LOL. Definitely why I added the “significantly more snaps” comment. Could be luck on low snaps, or he won’t be able to replicate the performance due to more game film to prepare against and/or less energy to go after the QB on higher snaps.

I still feel better about it than I would if he was in last place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom