Matt Nagy is Garbage (1 Viewer)

So a boneheaded mistake can only happen when a game is seemingly out of reach? So was that Tampa game that we were discussing but ended up a close one. All I’m saying is, being a Saints fan, you should know that whacky things happen in our games. Just how it is man

The Bears needed to score 3 tds and recover 3 onsides kicks. you have better odds of hitting the powerball, I don't blame sean for being aggressive and trying to recover the first two before they traveled ten yards. If either is recovered, you kneel and run the clock out. If the game was in doubt we dont touch the ball before ten yards

I thought it was hoe $hi3 when he called those timeouts...after Apple went down too...game was already in hand and as a coach I'd think you'd just take the lose and out of respect for the game just let the opposing team run out the clock

He was trying to pad the stats of his garbage QB so that he didn't have to hear as much this next week about how much hot garbage his starting QB is.
This. It was obvious that Nagy was pushing the tempo when we’d removed some key defenders so the screams for Trubisky’s head would lessen a touch. I understand the “play to the end” mentality, but in today’s NFL, it is typically within reason. These guys’ health is on the line, and one snap of the ball can end a guy’s season. Nagy really walked the line, in my opinion. It’s fine if anyone disagrees, obviously.

No, just as there isn't anything magical about Week 17, but yet we sat Drew Brees and much of the top of the team last year. That's because it was in hand. That's what sane coaches do when the situation is in hand, or out of hand, at the end of a season or end of a game. There's nothing left to be gained, so there's no sense in incurring the risk of injury that comes with every play. I can't believe I had to explain all that.
You've missed the point here, and that has evidently compelled you "explain". Nagy felt he did have something to gain, and attempted to instill some sort of confidence in his sub optimal offense during garbage time. Your "explanation", as I'm sure you're unaware, is a rather damning indictment of Payton's use of players at the conclusion of blowout games. Which is perfect for this thread about Nagy.

The Saints had clearly called off the dogs. They could have easily kept ripping Trubisky apart but they knew the game was out of reach. How is it instilling confidence in the Bears offense when the Saints have checked out? “See guys. We can score when the other team puts in backups snd is ready to go home after a long day of curb stomping us”

it was delaying the inevitable and potentially losing a player in a garbage time moment is brutal Just take the L and run the ball like most teams do.

The Saints had clearly called off the dogs. They could have easily kept ripping Trubisky apart but they knew the game was out of reach. How is it instilling confidence in the Bears offense when the Saints have checked out? “See guys. We can score when the other team puts in backups snd is ready to go home after a long day of curb stomping us”

it was delaying the inevitable and potentially losing a player in a garbage time moment is brutal Just take the L and run the ball like most teams do.

I think it varies by specific situation, but this case, the Bears' coach and QB are under such great pressure to succeed that Nagy wanted his offense to execute at some level during the game. I don't necessarily understand why scoring during garbage time helps a team's confidence, but coaches evidently believe it because it's quite common. I also see teams run up scores, seemingly unnecessarily risking injury. Coaches believe this to be beneficial, too. These assessments are normative, there is no absolute answer. I viewed Nagy's choices as quite conventional, others didn't.

Talk about a mental midget.

That makes it even worse. He just debunked the whole "he's trying to win the game" argument made by many here in defense of his late game antics. Here's some advice for Nagy, next time you're down by 4 scores with 3mins left in the game, take the L.

Even Belichek had the brains to take Brady out in 2009 when we were curb-stomping them.

If Nagy was hoping the score would give the after-game impression that the game was closer than it was, it didn't work. It seems every talking head/show/round table today drove home the fact that despite the score the Saints curb-stomped the Bears, no ifs, ands or buts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom