Matt Ryan against the blitz (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
December, 22, 2010 Dec 228:10AM
By Pat Yasinskas

It’s never too early to start talking about the "Monday Night Football" game between the New Orleans Saints and the Atlanta Falcons, so let’s go ahead and get it started.

While coaches don’t go around handing out game plans in advance, I think there is one thing we might be safe in assuming. The New Orleans defense is probably going to come after Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan hard.

[Please tease and link to articles.]

Last edited by a moderator:
By Pat Yasinskas

It’s never too early to start talking about the "Monday Night Football" game between the New Orleans Saints and the Atlanta Falcons, so let’s go ahead and get it started.

While coaches don’t go around handing out game plans in advance, I think there is one thing we might be safe in assuming. The New Orleans defense is probably going to come after Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan hard.

If you come to another team's board, try spouting off your original opions instead of posting someone else's. That is all. So you know what I'm talking about, try this:

Falcons Week 16: Psychological Warfare- Stats and Pick-Em

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most important aspect of this game is the psychological one. There is a difference going into a game hoping you will win compared to going into a game expecting to win. The Falcons expect to win at home. In case you haven't watched any Falcon game or ESPN, Matt Ryan has a mad streak of winning home games. As Saints fans, we hope to win. If the Saints come away with a convincing win in this spot, on the national stage known as Monday Night Football, the Falcons lose that sense of invincibility at home. And that is big in the event we have to face the Falcons in Atlanta come January.

This game is monumental for a few reasons. If you didn't already know it, the Saints need to win their last two games and have the Falcons lose their last two to win the division and get the #1 seed in the playoffs. If the Saints win just 1 game out of the last two, they make the playoffs for sure. If they lose out, it falls to the tie breakers.

A win here allows the team to breathe. Psychologically, it tells the team they can beat anyone, anywhere. The Saints have been missing a certain "it" factor-- call it Lady Luck, call it a smile from the football God's, call it validated confidence. This team is different from last year's in that they've not had that air of invincibility, where supreme confidence and belief combine with execution, the bounce of the ball, and periods of complete, balanced domination. The Falcons have that "it". We need to take "it" from them.

It is useless to look at the game from Week 3 and draw conclusions about how this game will go. First and foremost, we are division opponents and know each other intimately. But the next important aspect to consider when looking at this game is that the rosters are different. It is better to look at how a team played its last 3 games than to look at what transpired in Week 3.

The Falcons have been a model of consistancy. If you want to see their gameplan, look no further than the Ravens game last week. That is exactly what the Falcons wish to do: run the ball with authority, take shots down the field with Roddy White, convert 3rd down passes to the TE, keep our offense off the field, take away our run and make us one dimensional, and confuse Drew into a sack/incompletion/or worse.

Many think the Saints need to find BALANCE on offense. I don't think balance is as important for this team as is the ability to sell that we can be balanced if we want to (see Superbowl against Colts). Pyschologically, the Colts were concerned enough with the run that Drew was able to have his way, despite the fact that we ran with little success. We never respected the Colts ability or willingness to run, and in the end, the Colts leaned on their passing game till Porter's pick 6, despite the success we willingly allowed them in the run game in order to drop everyone in coverage.

So what I'm saying is that we don't "need" to play balanced, only show that when we choose to, we can do it with success, between the tackles. We need to do this for multiple reasons. The least of which is to win this game. Most importantly, we need to be able to prove to ourselves that if this is what we need to do at spots in January, we can have confidence in doing it enough to make a defense respect the threat. There is nothing more demoralizing than a team running it down your throat when you know it's coming. Especially in the 4th quarter when you need the ball and time to score.

I expect this game to be very close. The Falcons don't make many mistakes when it comes to penalties and turnovers. And as long as they keep a game close, they are able to stay balanced. And that worries me. If the game stays close, I'm not confident we can stop the run on defense and run the ball in a 4 minute offense to kill the clock. As long as the Falcons stay in favorable down and distances, like 3rd down and 4 yards to go, I'm nervous.

I hope our first drive is a successful mixture of in-between the tackles rushing and Drew Brees spot on passing. I hope the second drive is much the same. And I hope once we get a lead, we go no huddle, up the tempo, and exploit weaknesses in their secondary until the lead gets very big. And at that point, I hope we turn it back to the running game and demoralize the Falcons. Because if the Saints get up by 14 in this game, the Falcons will be forced away from their running game. And I don't believe Matt Ryan is good enough to overcome a deficit when our offense is clicking.

If we can win in that fashion, the Falcons will have much doubt the next time we face them in January. It exposes cracks that a team like the Giants or Bears can exploit in the playoffs. It shakes that confidence, it cuts through the "air of invisibility" like a bad fart. Most importantly, a dominating win gives this team back that "it" factor: we get our mojo back and rob the Falcons of theirs.

I see Jimmy Graham have a more catches than he did last week. The Falcons will have their hands full with the Graham/Shockey combo. Reggie will complicate matters for them. Meachem and Henderson will not be invisible, and with the running of Pierre and Ivory, Lance Moore should have a good day in the slot. And oh yeah, Colston. I see the Saints offensive line stepping up in this game, rising to the occasion, and playing dominant. I see the Saints winning by a modest score of 34 to 24.

Stat Time

Offense

6. Saints-- 25.3 points pg, 378 ypg, 5.7 ypp, 49% 3rd down, 31:51 TOP, -5 turn overs.

12. Falcons- 26.4 ppg, 349 ypg, 5.0 ypp, 48% 3rd down, 33:16 TOP, +13 turn over margin

Passing Offense

3. Saints- 282 ypg, 7.2 ypa, 68.5% completion, 31 TD, 19 Int, 43 20+ yard passes, 22 sacks given up, 93.5 qb rating

14. Falcons-- 227 ypg, 6.5 ypa, 62.7% completion, 25 TD, 9 Int, 31 20+ yard passes, 21 sacks given up, 90.5 qb rating

Rushing Offense

7. Falcons-- 122 ypg, 3.9 ypc, 13 TD, 2 fumbles lost, 10 20+ yard runs

26. Saints-- 96 ypg, 4.0 ypc, 8 TD, 5 fumbles lost, 6 20+ yard runs

Defense

9. Saints- 19.3 points pg, 312 ypg, 5.2 ypp, 35% 3rd down allowed, 12 fumble recovered

15. Falcons- 18.6 ppg, 333 ypg, 5.6 ypp, 40% 3rd downs allowed, 8 fumble recoveries

Pass Defense

4. Saints-- 195 ypg, 6.7 ypa, 61.6% completion, 10 td, 9 int, 39 20+ yard pass completions allowed, 29 sacks, 80.6 opposing qb rating

20. Falcons-- 227 ypg, 7.0 ypa, 65.0% completion, 21 td, 19 int, 33 20+ yard pass completions allowed, 27 sacks, 83.7 opposing qb rating

Rush Defense

12. Falcons-- 106 ypg, 4.6 ypc, 8 tds, 7 fumble recoveries, 9 20+ yard runs

19. Saints-- 117 ypg, 4.4 ypc, 13 tds, 7 fumble recoveries, 11 20+ yard runs

Pick-Em

Last Week- 9 correct, 7 wrong
Season Total- 137 correct, 87 wrong
Projected Season Total- 157 correct, 99 wrong
Best Season Total- 170 correct, 86 wrong

This Week's Pick's

Pittsburg over Carolina-- I surprised myself picking Carolina last week after making a vow to not pick them for the remainder of the season. This game is no surprise though, Pittsburg by more than two scores.

Dallas over Arizona-- As much as the Cowboys invoke at the mere mention of their name, and as much as I hate to see them have success, I hope they win. Why? Simple. I want Jason Garrett to remain the head coach because I think it is a recipe for disaster next year

New England over Buffalo-- I should have had the balls and went with my gut last week to pick the Bills over the Dolphins, but I had so many underdog picks I just couldn't do it. And as much as I'd like to take them for the upset here, because I like Ryan Fitzpatrick so much and I think the Patriots are ripe for such an upset, I still haven't grown a pair.

Chicago over NY Jets-- If I didn't despise the Jets the same way I despise Dallas, I'd pick the Jets because that's what my head is telling me to do. But I'll go with Da Bears, even though in KWTPF fashion, we could use a Bears loss.

Baltimore over Cleveland-- I honestly think Cleveland has a great chance of winning here. Baltimore just came off of two emotional wins, and Eric Mangini trying to keep his job. But Cleveland just lost a few defenders for the year, and Baltimore just looked too spot on.

Tennessee over Kansas City-- Upset #1. This game is in arrowhead, so I should be taking the Cheifs. I'm going against heart and logic here and taking the Titans. I'm just not sold on the Cheifs, and I think the Titans are playing for fun, without pressure.

San Francisco over St. Louis-- Upset #2. Okay, so the Niners owner said they would win their division after a horrible start. Everyone laughed. But with two weeks left, if the Niners win out, the win their division. Crazy. It is hard to pick them after the showing they had against San Diego. I'm going with them though. It's a divisional game, and the Niners are more talented than the Rams. The Niners come prepared to play this week.

Miami over Detroit-- I struggle to make this pick. I just don't know enough about the Dolphins' problems to get a good read on this game.

Jacksonville over Washington-- if the Redskins win this game, with authority, don't be surprised. Grossman can look good for a month at a time. I'm rooting for Jacksonville because I'd like to see the Colts not make the playoffs. And that's why I'm picking the Jags.

San Diego over Cincinatti-- wow. The game is in Cinci, and like the Titans, I correctly picked the Bengals to end their losing streak last week. San Diego is very hot right now, but the weather could cool them off. This is one tough week for pick-em, but I'll take the favorite.

Denver over Houston-- Upset #3. Nike made a pair of shoes for Tim Tebow. Anyone who wears them can walk on water. It's armageddon for Houston's coaching staff.

Indianapolis over Oakland-- this is the kind of surprise! game that Oakland has a knack for winning. I'm picking the Colts, but go Raiders.

Green Bay over NY Giants-- if the Giants had just lost last week in regular fashion, I'd pick them here. But I think the psychological impact of that game is too much.

Tampa Bay over Seattle-- I wish nothing but bad on both these teams. You two losers should have beat the Falcons. Seriously, I would really love to see St. Louis make the playoffs because the Seahawks and 49'ers don't deserve it. And we should probably root for the Seahawks to elimenate the Bucs. But I can't see myself picking Seattle the rest of the year.

Philidelphia over Minnesota-- this is the only game this year I actually wish Brett Farve was playing.

New Orleans over Atlanta-- Upset #4. If you play pick-em, I don't care if the Saints are having an 0-16 Detroit season and you are playing for money. You NEVER pick against the Saints. I shouldn't have to say that. Anyways, it's time to put a mind xxxx on the FailClowns.

By Pat Yasinskas

A very original thought-out thread. Thanks!

If you come to another team's board, try spouting off your original opions instead of posting someone else's. That is all. So you know what I'm talking about, try this:

Falcons Week 16: Psychological Warfare- Stats and Pick-Em

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most important aspect of this game is the psychological one. There is a difference going into a game hoping you will win compared to going into a game expecting to win. The Falcons expect to win at home. In case you haven't watched any Falcon game or ESPN, Matt Ryan has a mad streak of winning home games. As Saints fans, we hope to win. If the Saints come away with a convincing win in this spot, on the national stage known as Monday Night Football, the Falcons lose that sense of invincibility at home. And that is big in the event we have to face the Falcons in Atlanta come January.

This game is monumental for a few reasons. If you didn't already know it, the Saints need to win their last two games and have the Falcons lose their last two to win the division and get the #1 seed in the playoffs. If the Saints win just 1 game out of the last two, they make the playoffs for sure. If they lose out, it falls to the tie breakers.

A win here allows the team to breathe. Psychologically, it tells the team they can beat anyone, anywhere. The Saints have been missing a certain "it" factor-- call it Lady Luck, call it a smile from the football God's, call it validated confidence. This team is different from last year's in that they've not had that air of invincibility, where supreme confidence and belief combine with execution, the bounce of the ball, and periods of complete, balanced domination. The Falcons have that "it". We need to take "it" from them.

It is useless to look at the game from Week 3 and draw conclusions about how this game will go. First and foremost, we are division opponents and know each other intimately. But the next important aspect to consider when looking at this game is that the rosters are different. It is better to look at how a team played its last 3 games than to look at what transpired in Week 3.

The Falcons have been a model of consistancy. If you want to see their gameplan, look no further than the Ravens game last week. That is exactly what the Falcons wish to do: run the ball with authority, take shots down the field with Roddy White, convert 3rd down passes to the TE, keep our offense off the field, take away our run and make us one dimensional, and confuse Drew into a sack/incompletion/or worse.

Many think the Saints need to find BALANCE on offense. I don't think balance is as important for this team as is the ability to sell that we can be balanced if we want to (see Superbowl against Colts). Pyschologically, the Colts were concerned enough with the run that Drew was able to have his way, despite the fact that we ran with little success. We never respected the Colts ability or willingness to run, and in the end, the Colts leaned on their passing game till Porter's pick 6, despite the success we willingly allowed them in the run game in order to drop everyone in coverage.

So what I'm saying is that we don't "need" to play balanced, only show that when we choose to, we can do it with success, between the tackles. We need to do this for multiple reasons. The least of which is to win this game. Most importantly, we need to be able to prove to ourselves that if this is what we need to do at spots in January, we can have confidence in doing it enough to make a defense respect the threat. There is nothing more demoralizing than a team running it down your throat when you know it's coming. Especially in the 4th quarter when you need the ball and time to score.

I expect this game to be very close. The Falcons don't make many mistakes when it comes to penalties and turnovers. And as long as they keep a game close, they are able to stay balanced. And that worries me. If the game stays close, I'm not confident we can stop the run on defense and run the ball in a 4 minute offense to kill the clock. As long as the Falcons stay in favorable down and distances, like 3rd down and 4 yards to go, I'm nervous.

I hope our first drive is a successful mixture of in-between the tackles rushing and Drew Brees spot on passing. I hope the second drive is much the same. And I hope once we get a lead, we go no huddle, up the tempo, and exploit weaknesses in their secondary until the lead gets very big. And at that point, I hope we turn it back to the running game and demoralize the Falcons. Because if the Saints get up by 14 in this game, the Falcons will be forced away from their running game. And I don't believe Matt Ryan is good enough to overcome a deficit when our offense is clicking.

If we can win in that fashion, the Falcons will have much doubt the next time we face them in January. It exposes cracks that a team like the Giants or Bears can exploit in the playoffs. It shakes that confidence, it cuts through the "air of invisibility" like a bad fart. Most importantly, a dominating win gives this team back that "it" factor: we get our mojo back and rob the Falcons of theirs.

I see Jimmy Graham have a more catches than he did last week. The Falcons will have their hands full with the Graham/Shockey combo. Reggie will complicate matters for them. Meachem and Henderson will not be invisible, and with the running of Pierre and Ivory, Lance Moore should have a good day in the slot. And oh yeah, Colston. I see the Saints offensive line stepping up in this game, rising to the occasion, and playing dominant. I see the Saints winning by a modest score of 34 to 24.

Stat Time

Offense

6. Saints-- 25.3 points pg, 378 ypg, 5.7 ypp, 49% 3rd down, 31:51 TOP, -5 turn overs.

12. Falcons- 26.4 ppg, 349 ypg, 5.0 ypp, 48% 3rd down, 33:16 TOP, +13 turn over margin

Passing Offense

3. Saints- 282 ypg, 7.2 ypa, 68.5% completion, 31 TD, 19 Int, 43 20+ yard passes, 22 sacks given up, 93.5 qb rating

14. Falcons-- 227 ypg, 6.5 ypa, 62.7% completion, 25 TD, 9 Int, 31 20+ yard passes, 21 sacks given up, 90.5 qb rating

Rushing Offense

7. Falcons-- 122 ypg, 3.9 ypc, 13 TD, 2 fumbles lost, 10 20+ yard runs

26. Saints-- 96 ypg, 4.0 ypc, 8 TD, 5 fumbles lost, 6 20+ yard runs

Defense

9. Saints- 19.3 points pg, 312 ypg, 5.2 ypp, 35% 3rd down allowed, 12 fumble recovered

15. Falcons- 18.6 ppg, 333 ypg, 5.6 ypp, 40% 3rd downs allowed, 8 fumble recoveries

Pass Defense

4. Saints-- 195 ypg, 6.7 ypa, 61.6% completion, 10 td, 9 int, 39 20+ yard pass completions allowed, 29 sacks, 80.6 opposing qb rating

20. Falcons-- 227 ypg, 7.0 ypa, 65.0% completion, 21 td, 19 int, 33 20+ yard pass completions allowed, 27 sacks, 83.7 opposing qb rating

Rush Defense

12. Falcons-- 106 ypg, 4.6 ypc, 8 tds, 7 fumble recoveries, 9 20+ yard runs

19. Saints-- 117 ypg, 4.4 ypc, 13 tds, 7 fumble recoveries, 11 20+ yard runs

Pick-Em

Last Week- 9 correct, 7 wrong
Season Total- 137 correct, 87 wrong
Projected Season Total- 157 correct, 99 wrong
Best Season Total- 170 correct, 86 wrong

This Week's Pick's

Pittsburg over Carolina-- I surprised myself picking Carolina last week after making a vow to not pick them for the remainder of the season. This game is no surprise though, Pittsburg by more than two scores.

Dallas over Arizona-- As much as the Cowboys invoke at the mere mention of their name, and as much as I hate to see them have success, I hope they win. Why? Simple. I want Jason Garrett to remain the head coach because I think it is a recipe for disaster next year

New England over Buffalo-- I should have had the balls and went with my gut last week to pick the Bills over the Dolphins, but I had so many underdog picks I just couldn't do it. And as much as I'd like to take them for the upset here, because I like Ryan Fitzpatrick so much and I think the Patriots are ripe for such an upset, I still haven't grown a pair.

Chicago over NY Jets-- If I didn't despise the Jets the same way I despise Dallas, I'd pick the Jets because that's what my head is telling me to do. But I'll go with Da Bears, even though in KWTPF fashion, we could use a Bears loss.

Baltimore over Cleveland-- I honestly think Cleveland has a great chance of winning here. Baltimore just came off of two emotional wins, and Eric Mangini trying to keep his job. But Cleveland just lost a few defenders for the year, and Baltimore just looked too spot on.

Tennessee over Kansas City-- Upset #1. This game is in arrowhead, so I should be taking the Cheifs. I'm going against heart and logic here and taking the Titans. I'm just not sold on the Cheifs, and I think the Titans are playing for fun, without pressure.

San Francisco over St. Louis-- Upset #2. Okay, so the Niners owner said they would win their division after a horrible start. Everyone laughed. But with two weeks left, if the Niners win out, the win their division. Crazy. It is hard to pick them after the showing they had against San Diego. I'm going with them though. It's a divisional game, and the Niners are more talented than the Rams. The Niners come prepared to play this week.

Miami over Detroit-- I struggle to make this pick. I just don't know enough about the Dolphins' problems to get a good read on this game.

Jacksonville over Washington-- if the Redskins win this game, with authority, don't be surprised. Grossman can look good for a month at a time. I'm rooting for Jacksonville because I'd like to see the Colts not make the playoffs. And that's why I'm picking the Jags.

San Diego over Cincinatti-- wow. The game is in Cinci, and like the Titans, I correctly picked the Bengals to end their losing streak last week. San Diego is very hot right now, but the weather could cool them off. This is one tough week for pick-em, but I'll take the favorite.

Denver over Houston-- Upset #3. Nike made a pair of shoes for Tim Tebow. Anyone who wears them can walk on water. It's armageddon for Houston's coaching staff.

Indianapolis over Oakland-- this is the kind of surprise! game that Oakland has a knack for winning. I'm picking the Colts, but go Raiders.

Green Bay over NY Giants-- if the Giants had just lost last week in regular fashion, I'd pick them here. But I think the psychological impact of that game is too much.

Tampa Bay over Seattle-- I wish nothing but bad on both these teams. You two losers should have beat the Falcons. Seriously, I would really love to see St. Louis make the playoffs because the Seahawks and 49'ers don't deserve it. And we should probably root for the Seahawks to elimenate the Bucs. But I can't see myself picking Seattle the rest of the year.

Philidelphia over Minnesota-- this is the only game this year I actually wish Brett Farve was playing.

New Orleans over Atlanta-- Upset #4. If you play pick-em, I don't care if the Saints are having an 0-16 Detroit season and you are playing for money. You NEVER pick against the Saints. I shouldn't have to say that. Anyways, it's time to put a mind xxxx on the FailClowns.

First off, what I posted although written by Pat Y., these are facts not his OPINIONS; for example: Matt Ryan is a very Good QB (OPINION), Fact: Matt Ryan has been blitzed this season, third most in the NFL ; the Saints like to blitz a lot (OPINION), Fact: no team in the NFL sends five or more rusher than the New Orleans Saints; Matt Ryan is good against the blitz (OPINION); Fact: Ryan has the 6th best QB rating versus the blitz.

Get my drift?

The only drift we will get is the smell coming out of Shatty Ice's underoos after we curb stomp the Falcons.

I know it's hard to argue against facts, but no matter what happens Monday night, the Falcons will secure the #1 seed at the very latest on Jan. 2 and more than likely will face the Saints for a third time, in the divisional playoffs IMO.

I know it's hard to argue against facts, but no matter what happens Monday night, the Falcons will secure the #1 seed at the very latest on Jan. 2 and more than likely will face the Saints for a third time, in the divisional playoffs IMO.
since you like facts
defend this fact

The Saints and Falcons have met four times on Monday Night Football, the last being in 2009. The series has been played twice in Atlanta and twice in New Orleans, and overall the Saints lead 3-1.
The Falcons' cumulative record in Monday night games is 9-22 and their .290 winning percentage is the worst out of all 32 NFL teams.

go argue with all the fact in this thread:
http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187304

Which is it? You go from preaching how important facts are, to making assumptions!! :idunno:

Fabulous, we were really wondering about your opinion.

since you like facts
defend this fact

The Saints and Falcons have met four times on Monday Night Football, the last being in 2009. The series has been played twice in Atlanta and twice in New Orleans, and overall the Saints lead 3-1.
The Falcons' cumulative record in Monday night games is 9-22 and their .290 winning percentage is the worst out of all 32 NFL teams.

Well since you want to talk about facts, here's some homework for you, tell me the series record for the Falcons vs Saints rivalry... yeah I know it's irrelevant right, just like that useless stat of the Falcons all-time MNF record.

Thanks, when you include the whole article and the numbers and facts it produces, it kind of trumps the old 'Falcons are the best' or 'Saints or the best' threads.

Really? posting Ryan's numbers against the blitz trumps those? Falcons got the win against the Saints earlier and have a better record, so as much as I would like to I can't say the Saints are better and that alone should be your whole argument.
You shouldn't need an article to make your point....however I'm sure you remember everyone was waiting for the Saints to blitz Manning and give him some "remember me shots". Needless to say they never came. Gregg Williams is smart and will see those numbers, and should react accordingly.

Which is it? You go from preaching how important facts are, to making assumptions!! :idunno:
Facts + Reason = Logic

The Saints defense blitz the most in the league

Matt Ryan has a #6 QB rating versus the blitz (which is superb)

Therefore, I assume that the Saints' defense will not be able to stop Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons especially at home.

Is that clear enough for ya?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom