Matthew Stafford 2021 QB option for us ?? (2 Viewers)

Did someone say bombs? Rex Grossman says he is just the guy you are looking for!

So HIS contract we CAN afford? He's 32 with an injury history. Sounds like Taysom who is 30 with an injury history.

Last edited:
Not sure about the love fest for Stafford on this board, he’s an average QB and always has been. People seem too think that any QB who comes in will turn into an elite one just because we have SP as our coach. They won’t. He’s always been average and always will. Add to the fact he’s always injured and overpaid.

He is well above average. He is just stuck with a terrible organization.

So HIS contract we CAN afford? He's 32 with an injury history. Sounds like Taysom who is 30 with an injury history.
His contract can be reworked , his injury is par for the course in Detroit they kill QBs and cause players like Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson to retire at 30

I like Stafford. I would take him as our qb for the next 5-7 years. Hes talented and with a team and offensive line like ours and a coach like payton, we would continue with winning seasons. (I hesitate to say win superbowls anymore)

This is an interesting idea because the Saints can play this a few ways. They can operate under the assumption that the talent level is sufficient to make another run with a viable QB. They can go for a slight rebuild or they can blow it up and start over.

Yeah I know he can sling it. I was making a play on the "Can he play Safety" joke.

I don’t see anyway they blow anything up. I don’t think that’s even being considered, other wise Payton wouldn’t be leaving too. At this juncture he isn’t staying anywhere for a rebuild.

Saints win the SB this year if Brady was here, feels wrong even saying it. But it’s very likely. This team is still competent enough to reach the SB with a good QB under center. Not with the QBs on the roster once Brees retires, but a good QB.

Winston has far more talent than some on this board want to admit, but also it’s very unlikely that we see enough growth from Winston in a short time here to be a legit SB contender next year and we certainly aren’t with Hill playing only the QB position as QB1.

I know that’s not a liked or accepted opinion by most, but it is what it is at this point.

Stafford would be a astronomical upgrade over Winston or Hill.

Trimmed your quote a bit to focus on the highlights, but you captured my exact sentiment here. Say what you will about Brady, and I don't know what the heck he's doing to maintain his level of performance, but he was better than Brees this year -- especially with his ability to still push the ball downfield with accuracy.

I also agree Winston is immensely talented, but that has never been a guarantee for NFL success. He just never progressed like he should have during his time in Tampa and I don't think it was a coaching problem.

All of which leads me to Stafford -- of all of the potentially available veteran QBs, he seems to be among the best options. But, I think Detroit hangs on to him? Heck, I think Matt Ryan (don't kill me), would be a huge upgrade over Winston and Hill; if Atlanta goes in a different direction next season.

Saints win the SB this year if Brady was here, feels wrong even saying it. But it’s very likely. This team is still competent enough to reach the SB with a good QB under center. Not with the QBs on the roster once Brees retires, but a good QB.

Winston has far more talent than some on this board want to admit, but also it’s very unlikely that we see enough growth from Winston in a short time here to be a legit SB contender next year and we certainly aren’t with Hill playing only the QB position as QB1.

Stafford would be a astronomical upgrade over Winston or Hill.

If you’re considering stafford, then why not see if winston is your guy. JW is younger, can throw the deep ball, and is more mobile

He is well above average. He is just stuck with a terrible organization.
That’s an easy excuse to make and the point I’m making. “He’s at a bad organisation so put him under Payton and he’ll work wonders. I personally don’t buy it. I’ve not seen anything too suggest he’s anything but average-semi decent. Rather just stick with Winston who’ll be nowhere near as expensive.

Admittedly, maybe I'm being unfair to Winston, but I base my opinion on a contextual comparison. Brady took largely the same Bucs team to the Conference Championship game this year. Last year Winston was 7-9 with this Bucs team with the same HC and killed the Bucs chances in many of their games with awful turnovers and by taking too many sacks. Sorry, Fournette and Gronk weren't enough of difference makers to even count them this year in a way that would skew things to Brady's favor.

I don't think we have that same level of contextual comparison with someone like Stafford. Detroit has been a trainwreck of an organization over Stafford's tenure with minimal consistent talent around him.

That’s an easy excuse to make and the point I’m making. “He’s at a bad organisation so put him under Payton and he’ll work wonders. I personally don’t buy it. I’ve not seen anything too suggest he’s anything but average-semi decent. Rather just stick with Winston who’ll be nowhere near as expensive.

I like Winston. would not mind having him as the starter QB next year.

And Stafford will be more expensive than him, so maybe not worth it.

But Stafford is way ahead on QB development than Winston at this point in his career. Although I think both have similar ceilings, Stafford is a much better QB right now (and this will be reflected on their price).

I think the “He’s at a bad organisation so put him under Payton and he’ll work wonders" thought can be criticized for guys like Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, Carlson Wentz, etc. But guys like Stafford and Deshaun Watson are already very well developed QBs trapped in terrible organizations. Payton would not need to do wonders with them, they already play really well. And this is why they will be very expensive to bring.

At 6:35 he throws one from the 15 yard line to the 25 yard line on the other side so.....60 yards with accuracy.

First throw is a better demonstration of arm strength. Falling away off his back foot and drives a strike with more zip than I’ve seen Brees do from a clean pocket.

Stafford would be a very intriguing option - if he was available. But with a new coach coming in, I can’t see any way you cast him aside. I mean, maybe if they were picking first overall. But as mentioned before - any coach coming in with any designs on winning now would be a fool to get rid of him — unless someone was willing to overpay...which I hope and pray we wouldn’t.

No, they actually like to go near rivers and streams so one could debate that its not in the woods.

Based on commercials I've seen, I was led to believe they used Charmin for hygienic purposes.

Anyway, I would totally be down with Stafford.......and in what would be some unique irony, what about Philip Rivers as a bridge to our next quarterback, if the Saints were to draft one?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom