Matthew Stafford tests positive (for COVID-19) - UPDATE: Found to be a false positive [mod edit] (2 Viewers)

I'm not a restraunt owner and I think it's fair to say it's overblown. I have not missed a day of work since the virus started because I'm in an "essential" business.

I think its being overblown for a few reasons. Primarily, it's new and people naturally overreact to new threats. The news cycle thrives on this fear. Being an election year only makes it worse.

No one in their right mind thinks it's a hoax. It will be in the top 10 causes of death in the US. The problem is we don't treat any of the other causes like this. For example, we don't shut down fast food because heart disease. It is far and away more deadly than covid and we aren't seeing a reduction in numbers. Covid death rates are clearly decreasing as we understand it better.
The entire "hoax" thing was because Trump said it was being used politically as a "hoax", especially the MSM using scare tactics regarding the virus. But I agree with you regarding heart disease-fast food, diabetes with doughnut shops, and the list goes on.

I'm not a restraunt owner and I think it's fair to say it's overblown. I have not missed a day of work since the virus started because I'm in an "essential" business.

I think its being overblown for a few reasons. Primarily, it's new and people naturally overreact to new threats. The news cycle thrives on this fear. Being an election year only makes it worse.

No one in their right mind thinks it's a hoax. It will be in the top 10 causes of death in the US. The problem is we don't treat any of the other causes like this. For example, we don't shut down fast food because heart disease. It is far and away more deadly than covid and we aren't seeing a reduction in numbers. Covid death rates are clearly decreasing as we understand it better.

If someone opened a hamburger place in NOLA in January and they served 5 million burgers since and 165k people had died, I bet we'd be shutting it down. Still, eating crap and being fat are a personal choice. Dying because someone sneezed in the room you walked in last week isn't.

Half the country is ready to suspend the constitution in order to "ban" protests because of some violence and vandalism and you really think we're over reacting to Covid?

The problem is we don't treat any of the other causes like this. For example, we don't shut down fast food because heart disease. It is far and away more deadly than covid and we aren't seeing a reduction in numbers. Covid death rates are clearly decreasing as we understand it better.

People don't accidentally eat a hamburger and die within two weeks though...Most of the time.

If someone opened a hamburger place in NOLA in January and they served 5 million burgers since and 165k people had died, I bet we'd be shutting it down. Still, eating crap and being fat are a personal choice. Dying because someone sneezed in the room you walked in last week isn't.

Half the country is ready to suspend the constitution in order to "ban" protests because of some violence and vandalism and you really think we're over reacting to Covid?

People don't accidentally eat a hamburger and die within two weeks though...Most of the time.

You can get into a car and accidentally die. But we still drive.

I just say educate people but don't take away their choice. Some restrictions are natural. If you want to smoke you can, if you want to eat bad food every day you can, if you want to drive you can. They all come with threats to your life.

If you want to accept the risk and go in a public area you should be able to. You should be educated the risk you are taking on though.

I do think it's hypocritical to say it's not overblown and we should shut down business but somehow gathering in a protest is ok. I get that the drive behind each is very different but the virus doesn't care. It's just as wrong to say you can't open your business.

I just say educate people but don't take away their choice. Some restrictions are natural. If you want to smoke you can, if you want to eat bad food every day you can, if you want to drive you can. They all come with threats to your life.

If you want to accept the risk and go in a public area you should be able to. You should be educated the risk you are taking on though.

I do think it's hypocritical to say it's not overblown and we should shut down business but somehow gathering in a protest is ok. I get that the drive behind each is very different but the virus doesn't care. It's just as wrong to say you can't open your business.
Yep, and like COVID-19, you can kill someone else with your decision to drive. Happens every single day. If you get into a car and spend time on or even near a highway, you have made the calculated decision to put your life in jeopardy. If you leave your house and decide to go near people during a pandemic, you have made the calculated decision to put your life in jeopardy. It's possible to be defensive and reckless in either situation. Assess the risks for yourself and proceed accordingly, understanding that you can only control and protect yourself.

Especially as it relates to COVID-19, I have zero problem with people gathering for protest. Each person who decided to attend the protest made a choice for their own personal health - let them live with the outcome regardless. Same thing with people who have protested at government buildings protesting shelter-in-place orders. You hear partisan blowhards on both sides making jokes about thinning the population within the groups who are protesting...yet another example of donkeys and elephants engaging in the same cringeworthy behavior but claiming to be "different" and "right". One thing is for sure, if you defend people's right to gather shoulder to shoulder in protest by the thousands while admonishing my kids for playing with a couple of other kids in a "closed" park to get fresh air, sunshine, and exercise, you are an absolute clown of the highest order.

[/QUOTE]

Protests are constitutionally protected actions that you cannot ban. You can judge them with me and understand that the people protesting in crowds without masks are taking risks with both their own health and the health of others.

In order to keep businesses open at this time, it's important that we take precaution to avoid spreading this plague. Public safety is well within the purview of government regulation and so capacity orders at restaurants or restrictions on bars, while unfortunate, are legal and necessary.

There's nothing wrong with you doing whatever you want with or without a mask outside or alone in your home, but it takes a real piece of work to refuse to wear one and then impose your decision on the rest of the world by being in close proximity to others trying to work.

When someone chooses to exercise their freedom by going to bars and restaurants in areas with community spread they are being just as selfish and idiotic as the protestors gathered without masks.

The entire "hoax" thing was because Trump said it was being used politically as a "hoax", especially the MSM using scare tactics regarding the virus. But I agree with you regarding heart disease-fast food, diabetes with doughnut shops, and the list goes on.

Next time someone contracts a hamburger/fries or donut from someone else and dies from it a few weeks later you may be on to something. But right now there is no real equivalency in your terribly misguided statement....

Next time someone contracts a hamburger/fries or donut from someone else and dies from it a few weeks later you may be on to something. But right now there is no real equivalency in your terribly misguided statement....
I'm talking about deaths. It's not misguided.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom