Matthew Stafford tests positive (for COVID-19) - UPDATE: Found to be a false positive [mod edit] (1 Viewer)

What does this graphic have to do with anything?
We already know he's in the 1%.

(Not to mention the whole raft of possibilities between "just fine" and "dead".)

I just think this whole COVID thing is blown out of proportion. I know I'll get flamed by the keyboard warriors, and that's fine. I can handle it. It's my opinion and many more like me. 4 months into this, I've had to do all the necessary protocols to re-open my restaurant and keep my employees working. Can't say it was a lot of fun sitting on the couch for 2 months and don't want a repeat that but at some point the numbers don't support the panic that is being perpetrated onto the public. I've had employees who self-quarantined because they thought they were exposed. They are fine and back to work. I even have a charge nurse who works on the front line of COVID, who works for me on weekends, who assures me that if people just do the social distancing, wash your hands regularly, and wear a mask until a vaccine is available, we will be ok. The majority of people dying from COVID had some immune deficiency or underlying health conditions contribute. Young ,healthy, athletes don not fall into this category. I'm not trying to start an argument. This topic has been beat to death already, and then some. By now everyone has cemented their opinion one way or another.

I just think this whole COVID thing is blown out of proportion. I know I'll get flamed by the keyboard warriors, and that's fine. I can handle it. It's my opinion and many more like me. 4 months into this, I've had to do all the necessary protocols to re-open my restaurant and keep my employees working. Can't say it was a lot of fun sitting on the couch for 2 months and don't want a repeat that but at some point the numbers don't support the panic that is being perpetrated onto the public. I've had employees who self-quarantined because they thought they were exposed. They are fine and back to work. I even have a charge nurse who works on the front line of COVID, who works for me on weekends, who assures me that if people just do the social distancing, wash your hands regularly, and wear a mask until a vaccine is available, we will be ok. The majority of people dying from COVID had some immune deficiency or underlying health conditions contribute. Young ,healthy, athletes don not fall into this category. I'm not trying to start an argument. This topic has been beat to death already, and then some. By now everyone has cemented their opinion one way or another.
Honest question
Do you think your position as restaurant owner influences the way you see the pandemic?

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc

Y'know, this is one of those things where whether you believe it or not, if you do the right things it doesn't matter. Follow the protocols, wear a mask when appropriate and wash your hands like we all should be doing regardless and you're at least not part of the problem. If that's what you're about, good on ya.

Honest question
Do you think your position as restaurant owner influences the way you see the pandemic?
I'm not the owner. I'm the General Manager. Listen, just like the owner, who owns 26 units, I'll do whatever I have to do, as mandated by the state, to keep my store opened. I come into contact with approximately 300 customers per day x 5 days per week, So 1500 customers per week run through my store. We disinfect all "common touch points" hourly, wear masks, wash our hands, and I temp check all my employees when they walk through the door, and give them a health questionnaire to screen them religiously, every day. Truthfully, our chances ( the staff ) probably are at higher risk of contraction, based on how much contact we have with others vs the common guest who walks through my door, which may come into contact with say 2 to 3 of my staff, and a handful of guests. Four months into this pandemic, ( 2 months of being shut down, and 2 months of re-opening ) I have virtually no way of controlling what my staff does outside of work, and yet not one of them, nor myself, have contracted COVID. Not to mention the amount of people I come into contact with, by busing their tables, handling their cash, using the same "common touch points" like credit card readers, door handles, bathroom sink faucets, etc. What I know, based off all those variables, is that the numbers don't add up to reality on the ground. Truthfully, in my opinion, this whole pandemic is being used as a political weapon. I don't want anyone getting sick from this or any other way. As a restaurant manager, who operates what used to be a 2 million dollar per year unit, now down 25% from a year ago, I can say yes, it sucks, But it's not my only reason to believe that this is a ruse being perpetrated on the public. However, I do think it's being used to wreck havoc on the US economy. People can disagree with me, and that's fine. That's their right. Since you asked me the question, I wanted to give you an honest answer.

I love how all of these government employees keep getting paid, then have the audacity to tell others they have to shut down a bar/restaurant or how to operate. If you like this site as much as I do, I'd be careful having an opinion like this here.

I've found a remarkable pattern in all of this.

100% of every Republican I know who owns a restaurant or a bar believes the whole thing is overblown. 1 of them has had 15 people test positive and one die, but it's still overblown.

I think that the economic impact of COVID is clouding people's judgment and if they're partisan to begin with it's like trying to watch fish in an aquarium filled with milk. They just don't see it.

I'm not the owner. I'm the General Manager. Listen, just like the owner, who owns 26 units, I'll do whatever I have to do, as mandated by the state, to keep my store opened. I come into contact with approximately 300 customers per day x 5 days per week, So 1500 customers per week run through my store. We disinfect all "common touch points" hourly, wear masks, wash our hands, and I temp check all my employees when they walk through the door, and give them a health questionnaire to screen them religiously, every day. Truthfully, our chances ( the staff ) probably are at higher risk of contraction, based on how much contact we have with others vs the common guest who walks through my door, which may come into contact with say 2 to 3 of my staff, and a handful of guests. Four months into this pandemic, ( 2 months of being shut down, and 2 months of re-opening ) I have virtually no way of controlling what my staff does outside of work, and yet not one of them, nor myself, have contracted COVID. Not to mention the amount of people I come into contact with, by busing their tables, handling their cash, using the same "common touch points" like credit card readers, door handles, bathroom sink faucets, etc. What I know, based off all those variables, is that the numbers don't add up to reality on the ground. Truthfully, in my opinion, this whole pandemic is being used as a political weapon. I don't want anyone getting sick from this or any other way. As a restaurant manager, who operates what used to be a 2 million dollar per year unit, now down 25% from a year ago, I can say yes, it sucks, But it's not my only reason to believe that this is a ruse being perpetrated on the public. However, I do think it's being used to wreck havoc on the US economy. People can disagree with me, and that's fine. That's their right. Since you asked me the question, I wanted to give you an honest answer.
Trying no to be ***** with this question, but do you think the rest of the world is in in this attempt of wrecking the US economy (or are they trying to wrench their own economies or something else entirely?)

I love how all of these government employees keep getting paid, then have the audacity to tell others they have to shut down a bar/restaurant or how to operate. If you like this site as much as I do, I'd be careful having an opinion like this here.
Yes, people with unsupported opinions are the real victims here

While I appreciate your honest answer and the risk you're taking and precautions that are being used to mitigate that risk, I find myself at a loss for an explanation as to why you think anyone would or even could construct a "ruse" that has killed 150k, infected 5m and caused our nation to behave in a way that makes us the laughing/crying-stock of the entire world.

Why and what good?

Trying no to be ***** with this question, but do you think the rest of the world is in in this attempt of wrecking the US economy (or are they trying to wrench their own economies or something else entirely?)
I think it's like dominos. As US goes, so does the rest of Western civilization. Some European country's just said screw it. We're re-opening. It really comes down to risk factors. What price is too high? What price is acceptable? Heck, I don't want my mom or dad getting sick and dying from this. In fact, my mom, in Omaha, is battling stage four lung cancer. Which sucks because I'm in Denver Colo right now but I would like to go back and see her while I still can, but do I dare? Should I wait for a vaccine or should I just go about my normal life? Every person has the right to chose their destiny. At least for now they do. Right now I have decided to stay away from my mom until I feel the time is right. I hope I don't wait too long.

I think it's like dominos. As US goes, so does the rest of Western civilization. Some European country's just said screw it. We're re-opening. It really comes down to risk factors. What price is too high? What price is acceptable? Heck, I don't want my mom or dad getting sick and dying from this. In fact, my mom, in Omaha, is battling stage four lung cancer. Which sucks because I'm in Denver Colo right now but I would like to go back and see her while I still can, but do I dare? Should I wait for a vaccine or should I just go about my normal life? Every person has the right to chose their destiny. At least for now they do. Right now I have decided to stay away from my mom until I feel the time is right. I hope I don't wait too long.
First off, very sorry to hear about your mom - that’s gotta suck for you and family regardless of circumstance

2. Have you seen (and do you believe) the data showing that every country that tried to go herd immunity or opened early is faring MUCH worse than countries that shut down and eased open?

3 there is a HUGE middle ground between vaccine and ‘normal’ - this is not a binary/zero sum choice

4 everyone has a ‘right’ (privilege, but for the sake of argument...) to drive, but they dont have a right to drive in the sidewalk

But to wrap up, thank you for being as diligent as you describe in managing your restaurant

I think that the economic impact of COVID is clouding people's judgment and if they're partisan to begin with it's like trying to watch fish in an aquarium filled with milk. They just don't see it.
views from the ivory tower can be equally difficult (especially when looking down), as clouds obscure the view of folks desperate to get back to work b/c their livelihood has been deemed "nonessential"

views from the ivory tower can be equally difficult (especially when looking down), as clouds obscure the view of folks desperate to get back to work b/c their livelihood has been deemed "nonessential"

I very much agree and that's the ancillary point to mine.

Views are clouded by perspective.

If you're a "conservative" person in the restaurant business, you believe it's all a hoax at worst and overblown at best.

If you're a person who's wages are not being affected by Covid, you're more likely to believe we're being careless by refusing to take necessary precautions.

The truth is clearly in the middle.

We don't have to shut down the whole economy and stay inside and alone, but we do need to wear masks, socially distance and be vigilant. We also need government to pick up the slack for people who are being crushed by this like those in the restaurant and bar business.

What we don't need to do is pretend it's a hoax so those affected can reopen in order to survive and end up dead or prolonging and deepening the damage.

What we SHOULD have done, was remain partially shut down, not politicized this mess and taken proper precautions so that we could reopen.

We didn't. We are screwed. The rest of the world is crying for us or laughing at us.

The NFL has bigger problems than Stafford's positive test for COVID. Having, said that, I'm sure there is too much $$$$ to be lost if they shut down the season. The show must go on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom