Matthew Stafford tests positive (for COVID-19) - UPDATE: Found to be a false positive [mod edit] (2 Viewers)

The NFL has bigger problems than Stafford's positive test for COVID. Having, said that, I'm sure there is too much $$$$ to be lost if they shut down the season. The show must go on.

No, it doesn't have to go on.

Lost money can be replaced. The owners can sell a yacht or a 13th mansion. The players can miss the year. It happens. People lose jobs. Financial difficulties occur every single year.

We could skip the season and 3 or 5 years from now the world will still be spinning.

I very much agree and that's the ancillary point to mine.

Views are clouded by perspective.

If you're a "conservative" person in the restaurant business, you believe it's all a hoax at worst and overblown at best.

If you're a person who's wages are not being affected by Covid, you're more likely to believe we're being careless by refusing to take necessary precautions.

The truth is clearly in the middle.

We don't have to shut down the whole economy and stay inside and alone, but we do need to wear masks, socially distance and be vigilant. We also need government to pick up the slack for people who are being crushed by this like those in the restaurant and bar business.

What we don't need to do is pretend it's a hoax so those affected can reopen in order to survive and end up dead or prolonging and deepening the damage.

What we SHOULD have done, was remain partially shut down, not politicized this mess and taken proper precautions so that we could reopen.

We didn't. We are screwed. The rest of the world is crying for us or laughing at us.

Thanks to the government, too many employees found out that sitting at home collecting unemployment checks was more lucrative than going back to work when work re-opened. I had 6 of my 25 payroll protected employees ( out of 47 total employees ) decide not to return to work, after I paid them to sit on the couch for 2 months. If I would've known they were going to dip out, I would've placed someone more deserving ( or loyal )on that protected list. I couldn't protect all of them. I had one employee who totally opted out of payroll protection because getting unemployment from two different employers paid better. I guess loyalty only goes so far, and now one of those who dipped on me, after I paid his arse to sit, call me yesterday wanting his job back. My guess is his unemployment must've ran out. He can go somewhere else.

Last edited:
I’m confused with everyone in Twitter freaking out saying their season is over. Doesn’t this just mean he possibly tested positive? And if he did doesn’t he just have to recover a few weeks then he’ll be back?

I can’t imagine he’d miss the whole season unless he just chooses to not play, being a QB at his salary I doubt he would.
Let's put it this way, in early July Russell Westbrook had tested positive for Covid. Yesterday, Russell Westbrook scored 31 points for his team. Let's all try to put this in a bit of persepective.

Let's put it this way, in early July Russell Westbrook had tested positive for Covid. Yesterday, Russell Westbrook scored 31 points for his team. Let's all try to put this in a bit of persepective.
Same as Sean Payton. Like I said. the show will go on.

I read yesterday that the US Quarter 2 GDP is down 33% and added 1.4m more people to unemployment. I err on the side of caution, but can absolutely empathize with the folks concerned about the economy.

I read yesterday that the US Quarter 2 GDP is down 33% and added 1.4m more people to unemployment. I err on the side of caution, but can absolutely empathize with the folks concerned about the economy.
That's probably about right. I can say my company is down 32% from a year ago. I'm doing well being right of the bell curve at 23% down. My restaurant and our company, added Door Dash, Google, and a few other on-line ordering/delivery mechanisms to help. I now run the highest take-out food sales % in my company. Just goes to show how people are adjusting to their dining habits because of Covid. Truthfully, I need to hire about 4 more employees and now some employees are opting out of restaurant jobs and trading for "non-essential" jobs, so that tells me that the economy is trying to rebound as long as government gets out of the way, and stays out of the way, the engines of economics will do their part. Now let's talk about supply-chain issues. The ripple effect of social distancing also includes factories, plants, and warehouses where they are only allowed to run at 30% capacity. It's a miracle that there is product on the shelves anywhere in this country. Again it boils down to risk factors. This can be applied to NFL players on the field and owners getting butts in the seats of stadiums. What kind of product are you willing to spend your $ on? If Drew Brees was sitting out, how many would opt out of paying to see the Saints product?

Last edited:
Thanks to the government, too many employees found out that sitting at home collecting unemployment checks was more lucrative than going back to work when work re-opened. I had 6 of my 25 payroll protected employees ( out of 47 total employees ) decide not to return to work, after I paid them to sit on the couch for 2 months. If I would've known they were going to dip out, I would've placed someone more deserving ( or loyal )on that protected list. I couldn't protect all of them. I had one employee who totally opted out of payroll protection because getting unemployment from two different employers paid better. I guess loyalty only goes so far, and now one of those who dipped on me, after I paid his arse to sit, call me yesterday wanting his job back. My guess is his unemployment must've ran out. He can go somewhere else.

Thanks to the government, those people were able to eat while the world was shut down. Thanks to the government, those people spent money they otherwise would not have had to prop up our economy at least temporarily.

Yes, there are abuses and yes there are lazy freeloaders, but I'm not one to think we should have to risk death in order to eat each month. And, for what it's worth, I had a new hire who did the same thing. He sat home and got paid and did nothing even though we made it possible for him to work at night when he was totally alone at job sites. He chose not to so we replaced him and when he went for unemployment, we made sure to contest it.

That's probably about right. I can say my company is down 32% from a year ago. I'm doing well being right of the bell curve at 23% down. My restaurant and our company, added Door Dash, Google, and a few other on-line ordering/delivery mechanisms to help. I now run the highest take-out food % in my company. Just goes to show how people are adjusting to their dining habits because of Covid. Truthfully, I need to hire about 4 more employees and now some employees are opting out of restaurant jobs and trading for "non-essential" jobs, so that tells me that the economy is trying to rebound as long as government gets out of the way, and stays out of the way, the engines of economics will do their part.

If government were to have gotten and stayed out of the way you'd be down way more than 23%.

Thanks to the government, those people were able to eat while the world was shut down. Thanks to the government, those people spent money they otherwise would not have had to prop up our economy at least temporarily.

Yes, there are abuses and yes there are lazy freeloaders, but I'm not one to think we should have to risk death in order to eat each month. And, for what it's worth, I had a new hire who did the same thing. He sat home and got paid and did nothing even though we made it possible for him to work at night when he was totally alone at job sites. He chose not to so we replaced him and when he went for unemployment, we made sure to contest it.
Listen, I was glad we were able to protect some very good, loyal people who I know personally. I go to battle so-to-speak with them every day. I just want the government to not go too far in the other direction to make people lazy and complacent and dependent on federal government. Most people work for two simple reasons. 1, Survival 2. Feeling of self-worth.

The problem with this line of thinking is that we’ve been led to think this is the only scenario (safety or the economy)
It’s not, it’s just the dynamic that ‘leadership’ has enabled

If government would've stayed out of the way, I was trending up 5% from a year ago prior to March shut down.

Well, yeah, except...do you remember the news coverage and images from Iran earlier this year? People keeling over in the street, government officials dropping like flies. You can go look it up if you like, it was real and actually happened.

If government hadn't stepped in with the shutdown, those scenes would now be playing out in the US on a biblical scale. Millions dead, millions more crippled and an economy not just struggling, but utterly ruined.

It's kind of like when you're driving and a deer jumps out in front of you. That hard swerve tosses your unsuspecting passengers all around the cabin, maybe even bruises them or breaks someone's nose. Yet the alternative is much worse. A broken nose vs decapitation when that carcass comes sliding over the hood, through the windshield and into the seats.

Of course, all your passengers know (especially if they weren't looking at just the right instant) is that their faces hurt and they're bleeding all over the place.

But honestly, so can concussions. :shrug:

If the players are down with playing, I don't see why we shouldn't get on board too.

Right, except that they can't spread concussions to other players, team personnel and family members.....right?

People want football and haircuts so they arrive at some perfect being the enemy of the good conclusion that bc we can’t eradicate the virus we should just open up

The irony is that if we had taken all of this seriously and gotten the virus to manageable levels then we’d probably still have an economy and pastimes
The open it up crowd shot themselves and everyone else in the foot, but instead of taking responsibility for their irresponsibility they just shrug and mug like it’s an 80s sitcom

It’s bizarre and sad

Exactly how I feel, the irony is lost on so many, ok, maybe just conveniently ignored...because after all this virus is no big deal....and it will go away soon (I think someone said November 4th?)....

I think we all can, but I also think there are some really obvious reasons that got us to this point that many want to conveniently ignore....

Listen, I was glad we were able to protect some very good, loyal people who I know personally. I go to battle so-to-speak with them every day. I just want the government to not go too far in the other direction to make people lazy and complacent and dependent on federal government. Most people work for two simple reasons. 1, Survival 2. Feeling of self-worth.

It's just a simple step from where you are to where I am.

You're concerned with lazy freeloaders who won't work because government is overpaying them and I'm concerned with people starving to death because they have no money and no ability to SAFELY work while the world is on fire around them.

Again, you're a conservative who is in the restaurant business. You think it's all a hoax or overblown and that we should just be going about our business. I think restaurant and bar employees are in the most dangerous position and should not have to choose risking their lives in order to pay their bills.

There's a middle ground.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom