Matthew Stafford tests positive (for COVID-19) - UPDATE: Found to be a false positive [mod edit] (1 Viewer)

I’m confused with everyone in Twitter freaking out saying their season is over. Doesn’t this just mean he possibly tested positive? And if he did doesn’t he just have to recover a few weeks then he’ll be back?

I can’t imagine he’d miss the whole season unless he just chooses to not play, being a QB at his salary I doubt he would.

He's a Qb. That means he's shouting the play in a huddle. He could infect the entire offensive team congregating in it. This is not good whatever the side you lean on

Is that your interpretation of what I wrote? I know your up in arms about the whole thing. I’m not trying to pick a fight. Just saying that broken backs, broken necks, gruesome life-altering injuries happen in football. And they still play it and we still watch it.
Didn’t mean to snap at you

Most who gave opted out have done so out of concern for family
That’s not the same as broken bones
At the same time, I think it’s past time that us as fans are so cavalier about these players putting their bodies on the line for our amusement

But the main frustration is that had the nfl played it smart and started planning in April/May, our chance of having meaningful football in the fall would have increased dramatically
Instead they opted to play the short political game which means more than likely we’ll have a few games tops and many, many will get sick - and we don’t know what the lingering effects will be

I’m confused with everyone in Twitter freaking out saying their season is over. Doesn’t this just mean he possibly tested positive? And if he did doesn’t he just have to recover a few weeks then he’ll be back?

I can’t imagine he’d miss the whole season unless he just chooses to not play, being a QB at his salary I doubt he would.

So long as he doesn’t have severe symptoms, it just means he’ll be away from the team for the next 2-3 weeks. Then he returns at 100.

At the same time, I think it’s past time that us as fans are so cavalier about these players putting their bodies on the line for our amusement

But the main frustration is that had the nfl played it smart and started planning in April/May, our chance of having meaningful football in the fall would have increased dramatically
Instead they opted to play the short political game which means more than likely we’ll have a few games tops and many, many will get sick - and we don’t know what the lingering effects will be

I agree 100% that the NFL could have come up with a better (much better) plan to limit the players’ and coaches’ exposure to Covid while playing the season. They’d have to care about that, though, and they clearly don’t- which should surprise no one. They are going to deal with outbreaks the same way they deal with a rash of injuries: announce them, give a time table for their return to action, and enable the sports books to adjust the betting lines accordingly.

Before this year, tested positive would refer to PEDs

But honestly, so can concussions. :shrug:

If the players are down with playing, I don't see why we shouldn't get on board too.

Are you ok with them spreading it to others like coaches and front office personnel? I don't need to say this,but there is more to
football than players simply stepping onto the field.

I’m sorry, this whole thing is ridiculous. There’s no way around this. Covid-19 is here and it’s here to stay. Living life afraid of getting this virus and continually doing things to minimize its spread is not sustainable. Are we going to do these things next year? The year after? Are we never going to play organized sports again? A vaccine is not practical. We do not make durable antibodies to coronavirus. Other strains are one of the major causes of the common cold and we’ve yet to make successful vaccines for them so what about Covid-19 is different? Not much. Unless we plan on vaccinating a good majority of the population monthly or quarterly a vaccine is not the answer.

Coronavirus is a serious issue. There’s no denying it. But we’ve pushed the limits of earth’s carrying capacity and Mother Nature has launched her counter attack. Susceptible people will die from this virus whether it’s this year, next year, or the year after. That’s the cold hard truth of the world we live in now.

I know what I’m saying is not politically correct and not many people will agree with me but that’s ok.

I’m a physician so I have more than a cursory knowledge of the subject. However, I am not claiming to be an expert.

My rant is over, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

The season is still 2 months away. By then, most of the players who will get it could possibly be over it. They have to stop using the rediculous PCR test, it detects dead viruses, weakened viruses, and live viruses at levels that are far, far below contagious levels. There's a more common-sense test that shows positive on more contagious levels.
“MOST OF THE PLAYERS WHO WILL GET IT COULD POSSIBLY BE OVER IT”.

That is a statement for the ages!

I do not think I need to expand on this. Ridiculous.

I’m sorry, this whole thing is ridiculous. There’s no way around this. Covid-19 is here and it’s here to stay. Living life afraid of getting this virus and continually doing things to minimize its spread is not sustainable. Are we going to do these things next year? The year after? Are we never going to play organized sports again? A vaccine is not practical. We do not make durable antibodies to coronavirus. Other strains are one of the major causes of the common cold and we’ve yet to make successful vaccines for them so what about Covid-19 is different? Not much. Unless we plan on vaccinating a good majority of the population monthly or quarterly a vaccine is not the answer.

Coronavirus is a serious issue. There’s no denying it. But we’ve pushed the limits of earth’s carrying capacity and Mother Nature has launched her counter attack. Susceptible people will die from this virus whether it’s this year, next year, or the year after. That’s the cold hard truth of the world we live in now.

I know what I’m saying is not politically correct and not many people will agree with me but that’s ok.

I’m a physician so I have more than a cursory knowledge of the subject. However, I am not claiming to be an expert.

My rant is over, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
Out of curiosity where else in your life do you take the ‘we can’t beat it so why bother’ approach?

Bc people will die in car crashes no matter what, do you advocate for no speed limit and no seatbelts?
Bc people will get lung cancer no matter what, do you suggest that we all smoke?

Well as long as the NFL and the top brass believe they have the top sports product and they are invincible, they will never change. In general, they are a bunch of buffoons They are about to be enlightened, once a number of players start walking out of camp and calling it a wrap for themselves. It is just starting. I am willing to bet, Stafford calls it a season.

If there was a risk that a broken back was contagious and many others could have broken their backs, then they probably would have cancelled

That's like saying the season should be canceled if a player has the flu. Every year the annual deaths by flu start out absurdly high and continue to drop, because they start to weave out those who died because of the flu and those who died in part to the flu. If you have prior issues and catch the flu, the risk goes up. Same goes for corona. Of course, exceptions exist, but the numbers already back it up. The majority who will suffer from this 'pandemic' are the elderly and those with underlying conditions. What do they have in common? Neither are going to play professional football. This pandemic is real, I'm not arguing that, but stop feeding the "if I go outside I die" narrative. That isn't real. It's just more of the media spoonfeeding you what they want you to hear.

“MOST OF THE PLAYERS WHO WILL GET IT COULD POSSIBLY BE OVER IT”.

That is a statement for the ages!

I do not think I need to expand on this. Ridiculous.

When I hear irrational fear, it's in my nature to reassure people. I apologize for trying to bring the fear level down. Social media has cranked the fear level up to that of rabies when it should be about the same as flu. Social media doesn't explode about flu because we are familiar with it. I'm hopeful we will get to know this new virus and will dial the fear down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom