Matthew Stafford tests positive (for COVID-19) - UPDATE: Found to be a false positive [mod edit] (1 Viewer)

He’s asymptomatic. He can return to training camp in 10 days. Quit tripping.

Epidemiologists are saying that when people that test positive are asymptomatic, it's unlikely they can spread the virus.

Out of curiosity where else in your life do you take the ‘we can’t beat it so why bother’ approach?

Bc people will die in car crashes no matter what, do you advocate for no speed limit and no seatbelts?
Bc people will get lung cancer no matter what, do you suggest that we all smoke?
:jpshakehead: holy false equivalencies, be serious

the pandemic is in no way similar to either of your strawpeople above and you (hopefully) know it

If there was a risk that a broken back was contagious and many others could have broken their backs, then they probably would have cancelled
The league already knows the risk of infection and it potentiwlly spreading. They have chosen to move forward with the season, knowing players, even stars, could miss games. The key will be mitigation. If a handful of players around the league have to miss games each week, then things will move on. If an entire OL has to miss a game or two, then things need to be shut down.

That's like saying the season should be canceled if a player has the flu. Every year the annual deaths by flu start out absurdly high and continue to drop, because they start to weave out those who died because of the flu and those who died in part to the flu. If you have prior issues and catch the flu, the risk goes up. Same goes for corona. Of course, exceptions exist, but the numbers already back it up. The majority who will suffer from this 'pandemic' are the elderly and those with underlying conditions. What do they have in common? Neither are going to play professional football. This pandemic is real, I'm not arguing that, but stop feeding the "if I go outside I die" narrative. That isn't real. It's just more of the media spoonfeeding you what they want you to hear.
I’m sure you’ve been presented ample evidence that disputes what you proffer.
I’ll just note that every country that has taken the pandemic seriously is doing like a bazillion times better than the handful of countries that did not.
I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to note that the people who champion the philosophy you offer have been correct about precious little in the last 6 months
For me, I’ll keep listening to the people who want to lessen harm as much as possible

Last edited:
:jpshakehead: holy false equivalencies, be serious

the pandemic is in no way similar to either of your strawpeople above and you (hopefully) know it

Apologies that the hyperbole was too subtle (thought it was obvious)
But I was hoping that the good doctor would draw a distinction between what he said and my hyperbole

imo, the doctor is correct, with the possible exception that antibodies aren't durable

peer-reviewed evidence in the publication nature demonstrates viable antibodies for covid-19 among people previously infected with sars (2002-2003), and inexplicably among some people who've had exposure neither to sars nor sars-2 (covid)
SARS-recovered patients (n=23) still possess long-lasting memory T cells reactive to SARS-NP 17 years after the 2003 outbreak, which displayed robust cross-reactivity to SARS-CoV-2 NP. Surprisingly, we also frequently detected SARS-CoV-2 specifc T cells in individuals with no history of SARS, COVID-19 or contact with SARS/COVID-19 patients (n=37).

regardless the beauty and incomprehensible complexity of human immunodefense, there's now no way to eradicate sars-2 without tanking the u.s. economy (for which the death rate will be immeasurably higher than coronavirus)

the eventual vaccine won't be 100% effective, so while it's quite possible to contract the virus, it's literally up to individuals to resist covid-19

the infection rate may be high but the fatality rate is not, and is likely much lower due to un/underreported infections among non- and asymptomatics

I’m confused with everyone in Twitter freaking out saying their season is over. Doesn’t this just mean he possibly tested positive? And if he did doesn’t he just have to recover a few weeks then he’ll be back?

I can’t imagine he’d miss the whole season unless he just chooses to not play, being a QB at his salary I doubt he would.

You hit on the $20 billion question. Pro athletes, should be able to recover in 2-4 weeks, unless there is an underlying condition. But, but, but, what if it causes lung damage like it seems to do in many (don't have data to back this, just a best guess), will they play? Can they get back into required cardio condition. Ditto heart. There are so many don't knows. We shall see

I think this thread title needs an edit. We need to realize that being placed on the COVID list in the NFL doesn't just mean you tested positive, it could also mean you came in close contact with someone who did test positive so the NFL puts you on the list and sends you home out of caution.

There's a chance Matt himself tested positive, but until he flat out says he did, we can't just assume he did and that it wasn't just him coming in contact with someone who did.

I’m sorry, this whole thing is ridiculous. There’s no way around this. Covid-19 is here and it’s here to stay. Living life afraid of getting this virus and continually doing things to minimize its spread is not sustainable. Are we going to do these things next year? The year after? Are we never going to play organized sports again? A vaccine is not practical. We do not make durable antibodies to coronavirus. Other strains are one of the major causes of the common cold and we’ve yet to make successful vaccines for them so what about Covid-19 is different? Not much. Unless we plan on vaccinating a good majority of the population monthly or quarterly a vaccine is not the answer.

Coronavirus is a serious issue. There’s no denying it. But we’ve pushed the limits of earth’s carrying capacity and Mother Nature has launched her counter attack. Susceptible people will die from this virus whether it’s this year, next year, or the year after. That’s the cold hard truth of the world we live in now.

I know what I’m saying is not politically correct and not many people will agree with me but that’s ok.

I’m a physician so I have more than a cursory knowledge of the subject. However, I am not claiming to be an expert.

My rant is over, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
right, you can hide forever, but eventually you have to come out, and guess what, people will get it. you cant eradicate any virus completely.

smallpox and polio disagree

I'm no a doctor but I think the point is a vaccine won't be a cure-all for a coronavirus. Seems the best case is that it turns out like the flu and we have a new "best guess" to protect as many people as possible every year (except this one - for now - doesn't seem seasonal).

I'm no a doctor but I think the point is a vaccine won't be a cure-all for a coronavirus. Seems the best case is that it turns out like the flu and we have a new "best guess" to protect as many people as possible every year (except this one - for now - doesn't seem seasonal).

Corona virus is a member of the family of viruses that cause the common cold. They occur year round. The difference is this one kills.

People want football and haircuts so they arrive at some perfect being the enemy of the good conclusion that bc we can’t eradicate the virus we should just open up

The irony is that if we had taken all of this seriously and gotten the virus to manageable levels then we’d probably still have an economy and pastimes
The open it up crowd shot themselves and everyone else in the foot, but instead of taking responsibility for their irresponsibility they just shrug and mug like it’s an 80s sitcom

It’s bizarre and sad

Last edited:
imo, the doctor is correct, with the possible exception that antibodies aren't durable

peer-reviewed evidence in the publication nature demonstrates viable antibodies for covid-19 among people previously infected with sars (2002-2003), and inexplicably among some people who've had exposure neither to sars nor sars-2 (covid)

regardless the beauty and incomprehensible complexity of human immunodefense, there's now no way to eradicate sars-2 without tanking the u.s. economy (for which the death rate will be immeasurably higher than coronavirus)

the eventual vaccine won't be 100% effective, so while it's quite possible to contract the virus, it's literally up to individuals to resist covid-19

the infection rate may be high but the fatality rate is not, and is likely much lower due to un/underreported infections among non- and asymptomatics

You have a balanced and sensible outlook and you're much more skilled than I was at presenting mine.

In 2 or 3 years, the virus will probably be considered a nuisance, and some players will be regretful they let it steal a year of their lives.

• 1Clown
Reactions: dtc

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom