Max Unger retires (1 Viewer)

Football is tough and being a Center is REALLY tough. I suspect there are health issues that forced a decision. Unger was a real contributor and a great part of this team but Loomis isn't an idiot. He'll find a good replacement.

All I want to know is how much cap space his retirement frees up.

Big loss but we are prepared .. Camron Tom or Will Capp will slid right into that spot , my money is on Tom
There is going to be a positon battle there with Tom, Clapp, probably a free agent we bring in, and most likely a draft pick. We will be prepared, and I've always liked Tom. Hes been in the league a couple years. I think hes ready to take the next step.

Doesnt hurt that we also have one of the best OL Coaches in the buisness righ Dan Roushar

Oh man! That sucks so bad for us. Kind of sad cause Unger shouldve retired w/2 more Rings to put on his snap hand. Any ways, all best 60!

Wow, this was totally unexpected on my part! Certainly hope one of the younger guys can slide in and replace him without too big of a hiccup. He's gonna be missed regardless. This is definitely going to cause some issues with the OL and I hope they are able to find some sort of continuity sooner than later.

I'm telling myself that things will be ok but in reality this is a pretty big blow to the offense.

Big loss but we are prepared .. Camron Tom or Will Capp will slid right into that spot , my money is on Tom

And we will get to the SB this year!

Relax Who Dats. Brees is coming back. He believes we can win the SB this year. That's good enough for me

Look, if we had to lose a starting OL, then honestly this was the one to lose. Both Tom and Clapp are both primarily Centers who also play Guard rather than the other way around. The coaches saw something in Tom as a future starter, as they signed him to the active roster before another team could sign him off the practice squad. And all you LSU fans seem to think Clapp will be a good one too. So I'm not as concerned as I was initially.

Look, if we had to lose a starting OL, then honestly this was the one to lose. Both Tom and Clapp are both primarily Centers who also play Guard rather than the other way around. The coaches saw something in Tom as a future starter, as they signed him to the active roster before another team could sign him off the practice squad. And all you LSU fans seem to think Clapp will be a good one too. So I'm not as concerned as I was initially.
Unger is the one you DONT want to lose. He's the most consistent of the five as well as the leader of the group. We have seen players step in to fill in the other positions sufficiently. We have not seen this at Center.

Pre-Unger and post-Nicks, the O-Line was sloppy and inconsistent. After under, they immediately became one of the best. Let's not forget that the biggest key to stopping the Saints offense is pressure on Brees through the interior, aka right over Max Unger.

There we go. It's not nearly as bad as most people think.

Cap savings or not this is a pretty bad thing. Unger was a very good center and anyone on the roster is a downgrade.

I find it strange that we’ve heard nothing about this until it happened. Unger is still fairly young, 32, as interior linemen go. Is there something here we don’t know about?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom