Maybe i'm 12 years behind this coincidence... (1 Viewer)

has anyone on this board every acknowledged that a our favorite Saints player of all time prior to our current QB was a man named Archie Manning who was from a town named Drew.

Now we have another Saints player we idolize whose name is Drew Brees. By the way, he's from a town named Austin, so perhaps our next great Saint will be a man named Austin?
I don’t get it. Andrew Christopher Brees = middle of nowhere Drew, Muzz-sippy?
I don’t get it.

has anyone on this board every acknowledged that a our favorite Saints player of all time prior to our current QB was a man named Archie Manning who was from a town named Drew.

Now we have another Saints player we idolize whose name is Drew Brees. By the way, he's from a town named Austin, so perhaps our next great Saint will be a man named Austin?

Aliens vs Illuminati war confirmed

I think it's debatable that Archie was this team's most beloved fan favorite before Brees.

Rickey Jackson, Sam Mills, Dalton Hilliard and Deuce McAllister are worthy for that argument.

Incoming "younger" Saints fan here, but Archie was overrated. Give me the dome patrol, willie roaf, deuce, etc. lol

Incoming "younger" Saints fan here, but Archie was overrated. Give me the dome patrol, willie roaf, deuce, etc. lol

You get no argument from me! Just be careful saying that on here, people will probably want to key your car.

I respect Archie, but I think he was overrated too. He's overrated by us as Saints fans.

When Football Perspective did their Top 100 QBs list, they talked about Archie and how good quarterbacks often make bad teams better. During the 70's QBs like Brian Sipe, Ken Andersen and Bert Jones instantly made their teams better than they were. the year before. This did not happen for Archie. The Saints actually regressed and were worse than the year prior in his first two seasons. Archie did eventually get better over time, but he didn't turn them around like Sipe or Andersen and he strictly wasn't no Bert Jones.

IMO Bert Jones is the most underrated QB of the 70's. The narrative about how Archie would've become a Hall of Famer with a better team is actually true for Jones probably more than any other QB of that era. I never see this brought up about Jones except around old school Colts fans.

Jones won MVP in 1976 and posted with what at the time, was one of the best TD/INT ratio in NFL history (in an era where INT percentages were high and you got an immediate intentional grounding penalty for throwing the ball away). Jones was on his way to becoming one of the big name elite QBs when his string of injuries happened. The Colts let him get killed behind poor o-lines and just 2 years after his MVP season, he was a broken shell of his former self. The Colts never reached the post season again for the rest of their time in Baltimore after Jones got hurt.

You get no argument from me! Just be careful saying that on here, people will probably want to key your car.

I respect Archie, but I think he was overrated too. He's overrated by us as Saints fans.

When Football Perspective did their Top 100 QBs list, they talked about Archie and how good quarterbacks often make bad teams better. During the 70's QBs like Brian Sipe, Ken Andersen and Bert Jones instantly made their teams better than they were. the year before. This did not happen for Archie. The Saints actually regressed and were worse than the year prior in his first two seasons. Archie did eventually get better over time, but he didn't turn them around like Sipe or Andersen and he strictly wasn't no Bert Jones.

IMO Bert Jones is the most underrated QB of the 70's. The narrative about how Archie would've become a Hall of Famer with a better team is actually true for Jones probably more than any other QB of that era. I never see this brought up about Jones except around old school Colts fans.

Jones won MVP in 1976 and posted with what at the time, was one of the best TD/INT ratio in NFL history (in an era where INT percentages were high and you got an immediate intentional grounding penalty for throwing the ball away). Jones was on his way to becoming one of the big name elite QBs when his string of injuries happened. The Colts let him get killed behind poor o-lines and just 2 years after his MVP season, he was a broken shell of his former self. The Colts never reached the post season again for the rest of their time in Baltimore after Jones got hurt.

I remember spending a summer here recently going through as much Archie tape as I could find. It was really neat watching those old games, seeing how the game has changed and getting appreciation for the Saints of that era. I also left those games feeling Aaron Brooks is the 2nd best quarterback in franchise history, not Archie. Nostalgia is powerful though, and I get that.

I remember spending a summer here recently going through as much Archie tape as I could find. It was really neat watching those old games, seeing how the game has changed and getting appreciation for the Saints of that era. I also left those games feeling Aaron Brooks is the 2nd best quarterback in franchise history, not Archie. Nostalgia is powerful though, and I get that.

100% agree with you. I think fans are way too hard on Aaron Brooks.

Brooks was a fine QB until injuries caught up on him. He wasn't an elite guy who was going to compete for MVP at that time (No one was going to beat Peyton Manning in his prime for MVP during 2003-2004) but he wasn't horrible like the fans tend to make him out to be.

You wouldn't know it from listening to fans back in 2004, but Brooks actually had a much better season than Jake Delhomme in Carolina's Cinderella season. The Brooks vs Delhomme stuff was always confusing because looking at the numbers, Brooks was the better QB that year.

That's cool that you got to go through tape of those old games. I started watching football in the 80's so it was fun for me to go back and watch what at the time was "your dad's Saints" as we called them. Archie has a few highlight games, but he always seemed to lose the big primetime night games when the lights were the brightest and all focus was on them. That Raiders game where Ken Stabler led the huge comeback was a hard one.

I've got a box of VHS tapes of games from back then. The first Pittsburgh/Dallas SB is one of my all time favorites. It's one of those games that each team could've easily won if a few lucky bounces went their way.

I'm always amazed going back and watching old games at how offenses have progressed and evolved since then. Most teams ran Smashmouth style offenses back then. Dallas in particular liked to run this odd formation at times with split backs and 3 RBs on the field. The Dolphins did this often in their 1972 season when they had 3 great RBs.

Fun little note; Bob Greise threw just 7 passes total in the Vikings/Dolphins SB. Completely different era back then. The Dolphins slowly humiliated the Vikings in that game by pounding the ball with Larry Czonka (A Fullback who was drafted in the early picks of the first round. Will never see that in this era).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom