Maybe I'm missing something but why is everyone so hesitant to trade draft picks? (1 Viewer)

so if vilma's healthy, you wouldn't trade harper for him?

Once again you're using this "if Vilma's healthy" thing. That's the point though, nobody really knows how healthy Vilma is or will be once full contact resumes.

Second of all, Vilma for Harper is not the trade anyone is discussing, therefore whether anyone would or would not make that deal is sort of irrelivent. If you are using Roman Harper to catagorize every prospect that could possibly be drafted using a 2nd round pick, then there are better ways to do that as well.

For starters, Roman Harper has only slightly more than a year's worth of games under his belt and may very well get a lot better as a player. Also, there have been way better players than Roman Harper drafted in rounds 2-3 (or even later). So the question teams must ask themselves is, "Are we willing to risk Vilma's knee/contract situation vs what we could potentially get in the 2nd/3rd round of the draft".

Both the draft and trading for Vilma would be gambles.

I feel like I repeat this to people a lot, but a basic rule:

The value of an UNDRAFTED pick is worth way more than the player that is actually drafted with that pick. Generally.

2nd and 3rd round picks are worth a lot because of potential, value, and the amount and length of contracts when coupled with how much a veteran with some baggage costs.

I think you need to think about this for awhile.

oh well, maybe I'm not getting my point across well...

lets check back in a couple years to this thread and see what the results are, as it seems like we'll get stuck with dan morgan and a couple special teams guys

oh well, maybe I'm not getting my point across well...

lets check back in a couple years to this thread and see what the results are, as it seems like we'll get stuck with dan morgan and a couple special teams guys

you keep saying we are going to wind up with special teams guys......who out of our second round picks are only special teams guys?

Our worst 2nd round pick in years, IMO, is Bullocks and he's started 3 years for us....maybe Stinch, who's started 2 years.

Over the past 8 seasons only about 15 of our draft pics have even seen significant time on the field...
.........this says it all :0030:

Don't listen to the lies.....in the past 8 years here are a list of players that have contributed to the O or D in the NFL.

Usama Young
Bush
Harper
Evans
Colston
Brown
Bullocks
W. Smith
Henderson
Karney
Stinch
Holland
Stallworth
Grant
Bentley
Allen
Deuce
Hodge
Howard
T. Smith
Bulger
Houser
R. Williams

That's 24 starters from 8 years of drafts and 1 of those drafts consisted of 1 player. That's an average of 3 starters from each draft. I gaurantee every team in the NFL would take that!

The Saints have missed on some picks< but no more than other teams>

What are you talking about? How do you know harper was ranked directly below Ryans on their draft chart?

he wasnt ! by most teams he was ranked as a 4th rounder ...

but the browns made a call ,for ´d´qwell jackson who didnt seem very high on paytons chart. i think we were waiting for mangold first... than the jets took him .... than they just waited who will be picked. the brows called , we made the downtrade and got our starting center ( faine was included ) than daniel bullocks went off and we reached for harper because he is a payton guy. we could have had , griffin , faine and harper ....

Over the past 8 seasons only about 15 of our draft pics have even seen significant time on the field...

It absolutely boggles me when I hear guys say that a 2nd and 3rd are too much to give up for a guy like Vilma (if deemed healthy of course) when he's a lock as a good line backer which is one of our positions of need...

Am I missing the boat? And if so, could someone explain to me why some would rather take our chances in the draft...

k thanks :)

Simple, this years draft is the best talent i've seen in the 9 years i've been covering the draft. The only other one that compared is the year Reggie came out.

interesting... do you feel smith is underachieving? Or you just value the picks that much?

I am looking at the whole scenario of value. If they traded Smith 1) He could be replaced cheaper than re-signing him. 2) I think they could find a suitable replacement in this draft for him. 3) The saints could draft 2 LB's in the second, and an OL and DL in the 3rd. 4) The saints would still have plenty of flexibility with the cap in future years.

That one trade would set the saints on a great future for the next 5 years.

Don't listen to the lies.....in the past 8 years here are a list of players that have contributed to the O or D in the NFL.

Usama Young
Bush
Harper
Evans
Colston
Brown
Bullocks
W. Smith
Henderson
Karney
Stinch
Holland
Stallworth
Grant
Bentley
Allen
Deuce
Hodge
Howard
T. Smith
Bulger
Houser
R. Williams

That's 24 starters from 8 years of drafts and 1 of those drafts consisted of 1 player. That's an average of 3 starters from each draft. I gaurantee every team in the NFL would take that!

The Saints have missed on some picks< but no more than other teams>

thanx for clearing that up....:9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom