Maybe I'm missing something but why is everyone so hesitant to trade draft picks? (3 Viewers)

upsizin

Reaction score
Over the past 8 seasons only about 15 of our draft pics have even seen significant time on the field...

It absolutely boggles me when I hear guys say that a 2nd and 3rd are too much to give up for a guy like Vilma (if deemed healthy of course) when he's a lock as a good line backer which is one of our positions of need...

Am I missing the boat? And if so, could someone explain to me why some would rather take our chances in the draft...

k thanks :)

Lessons from history show that some teams have done exceptionally well trading for vets, others have done just as well via the draft. You can point to superbowl teams who have taken extremes in either course.

I guess the reason the Saints are pretty reluctant to trade for vets is that historically our record on this is pretty grim.

Richard Todd and Earl Campbell cost us first round picks - I think it's fair to say we didn't exactly get a good deal.
The mere mention of the Steve Walsh trade is enough to make most Saints fans cringe (and whatever anyone says I didn't hear too many people criticising the deal at the time it was done).
Trading a second round pick for Mike McKenzie was great business, and the move for Jeff Faine wasn't bad either but inspired trading for veterans is normally the exception to the rule.

trading draft picks is sort of an instant gratification thing. Draft picks are incredibly valuable. First, picks 2 thru 7 are typically a heckuva lot cheaper than the vet you are trading for. Teams need to get at least 4 years of cheap salaries from young players, or else their salary cap becomes unmanageable. Second, usually there is a reason a team is trading a player (he's hurt, disgruntled, etc..) the trade may work out, but it's risky. The fastest way to become a poor team in a couple of years is to trade away your draft picks. You don't think the ricky williams trade destroyed this club? or the Walsh trade? you need the infusion of young cheap talent (some of whom blossom into pro bowlers..see Colston and Evans for example)...I hate trading draft picks

it depends on what you're trading for, the age of the player... if a younger *established* player, it still gives you plenty of time to draft successors

Over the past 8 seasons only about 15 of our draft pics have even seen significant time on the field...

It absolutely boggles me when I hear guys say that a 2nd and 3rd are too much to give up for a guy like Vilma (if deemed healthy of course) when he's a lock as a good line backer which is one of our positions of need...

Am I missing the boat? And if so, could someone explain to me why some would rather take our chances in the draft...

k thanks :)

Well, speaking of Vilma specifically, I wouldn't have any problem giving them our 3rd round pick for him if he checks out medically. 25 year old pro-bowl MLB with great work ethic and leadership skills and probably going to be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder after being "asked" to leave by his former team.

It's really a no brainer to me.

Well, speaking of Vilma specifically, I wouldn't have any problem giving them our 3rd round pick for him if he checks out medically. 25 year old pro-bowl MLB with great work ethic and leadership skills and probably going to be playing with a huge chip on his shoulder after being "asked" to leave by his former team.

It's really a no brainer to me.
so you wouldn't be willing to give a second and third for him?

everyone also needs to remember their are other player that we might want more for example the lions might want a 2nd or 3rd for Shaun Rogers i would rather Rogers over Vilma for a 3rd. All possible trades have to be taken into consideration before we just give away draft picks

so you wouldn't be willing to give a second and third for him?

Good lord no.

He's got a very uncertain future with that knee for one AND the Jets clearly want to let him go as he doesn't fit there system.

So they can take what they can get for damaged goods or let him go when he's a FA.

I think a 4th is pretty fair, MAYBE a 3.

But 2nd and 3rd round picks SHOULD be early contributers for a team that wants to contend.

I think another reason is because of the salary cap. Teams need rookies who are making little money in order to fill out the roster. For every guy you have who makes 5 or 6 million, you need a couple who are making 500k. If you trade for a veteran, chances are he's already making a couple million a year, and that's the guy you get in place of that draft pick, who would probably only make a few hundred thousand a year. It throws off the salary cap cycle...

good teams are built through the draft, and value free agents. to trade 2 draft picks of the #10 pick from whatever round 2-4 is giving up a lot of potential for one player who is questionable. my vote goes to a 4th rounder for vilma and conditional 4th next year. i'd love a healthy vilma, but that is a big uncertainty

What? You think Vilma is a slam-dunk? Oh "if deemed healthy", well he won't be "deemed healthy", they'll assess the risk of his current injury and long-term prospects and decide what draft pick matches up with Vilma as a gamble. They're both "taking chances".

What? You think Vilma is a slam-dunk? Oh "if deemed healthy", well he won't be "deemed healthy", they'll assess the risk of his current injury and long-term prospects and decide what draft pick matches up with Vilma as a gamble. They're both "taking chances".

again... lets look at 2nd n 3rd picks recently

usama young
andy alleman

Roman Harper

bullocks
fincher

devery
courtney watson

stinchcomb
cie grant

I can go much farther back than that and show how ridiculous it is to think that the chances of finding an impact player in the second, third, and fourth rounds are... If they think vilma will be healthy, you have to get him... no questions asked

good teams are built through the draft, and value free agents. to trade 2 draft picks of the #10 pick from whatever round 2-4 is giving up a lot of potential for one player who is questionable. my vote goes to a 4th rounder for vilma and conditional 4th next year. i'd love a healthy vilma, but that is a big uncertainty

so, if the jets say give us your second and third round picks this year, you'd say nope, we're going to stick with Mark S. and let him mold phillip wheeler into our middle line backer for years to come...

you're better than that

I think the Miami Dolphins are a great example of why you shouldn't trade your draft picks.
The Colts, Chargers, and Packers are good examples of what building through the draft can do for you. And yes, a second or a third would be too high for Vilma. There will be a lot of great players, especially LB's in those rounds, and they could end up being better, cheaper, and younger.

Good lord no.

He's got a very uncertain future with that knee for one AND the Jets clearly want to let him go as he doesn't fit there system.

So they can take what they can get for damaged goods or let him go when he's a FA.

I think a 4th is pretty fair, MAYBE a 3.

But 2nd and 3rd round picks SHOULD be early contributers for a team that wants to contend.

so you really think the jets are more anxious to get rid of their pro bowl middle line backer with no off field issues that is a great leader, than we are to sign a pro bowl middle line backer?

You're right, they've got us by the balls

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom