Maybe I'm missing something but why is everyone so hesitant to trade draft picks? (2 Viewers)

again... lets look at 2nd n 3rd picks recently

usama young
andy alleman

Roman Harper

bullocks
fincher

devery
courtney watson

stinchcomb
cie grant

I can go much farther back than that and show how ridiculous it is to think that the chances of finding an impact player in the second, third, and fourth rounds are... If they think vilma will be healthy, you have to get him... no questions asked

Since this regime has only picked Harper in the second, I only think it's fair to use him in this arguement. Young and Alleman were 3rd round picks. If you want I could go back and show all of the picks that have been in the second that have been awesome players that are way more valuable than a ? like Vilma.

For comparison sake, I would seriously consider trading Will Smith for a 2nd and 3rd above the saints picks.

Vilma with his baggage? I would try for a conditional 4th in the 09 draft.

I think the Miami Dolphins are a great example of why you shouldn't trade your draft picks.
The Colts, Chargers, and Packers are good examples of what building through the draft can do for you. And yes, a second or a third would be too high for Vilma. There will be a lot of great players, especially LB's in those rounds, and they could end up being better, cheaper, and younger.

the saints haven't had a decent line backing corp for 15 years and have attempted to get the better, cheaper, younger line backers quite a few times

the saints haven't had a decent line backing corp for 15 years and have attempted to get the better, cheaper, younger line backers quite a few times

So Vilma is going to change all that?

Roman Harper

bullocks
fincher

devery
courtney watson

stinchcomb
cie grant

Roman Harper, Jon Stinchomb, and Josh Bullocks all start for us. Devery Henderson has started and has over 1,000 yards receiving as a Saint. So we're apparently not doing too bad :shrug:
upsizn said:
If they think vilma will be healthy
Either you didn't read or didn't understand my post.

That's precisely what they have to determine. Whether he'll be healthy in the short-term and in the long-term. They weigh the risk of that vs the risk of the draft and determine an appropriate price for him. If it doesn't look good, he isn't worth much. If it does, he's worth a lot. We don't know. You don't know. The Saints really are only guessing. Do you understand?

Not only do we have to give up a draft pick for him but he's an UFA next year. There's a contract component as well.

Since this regime has only picked Harper in the second, I only think it's fair to use him in this arguement. Young and Alleman were 3rd round picks. If you want I could go back and show all of the picks that have been in the second that have been awesome players that are way more valuable than a ? like Vilma.
lets not forget that it was the second pick in the second round...

the pick was a no brainer, after ryans was gone

Roman Harper, Jon Stinchomb, and Josh Bullocks all start for us. Devery Henderson has started and has over 1,000 yards receiving as a Saint. So we're apparently not doing too bad :shrug:

Either you didn't read or didn't understand my post.

That's precisely what they have to determine. Whether he'll be healthy in the short-term and in the long-term. They weigh the risk of that vs the risk of the draft and determine an appropriate price for him. If it doesn't look good, he isn't worth much. If it does, he's worth a lot. We don't know. You don't know. The Saints really are only guessing. Do you understand?

Not only do we have to give up a draft pick for him but he's an UFA next year. There's a contract component as well.

the entire thread was started with the anticipation that he gets a clean bill of health... if not, why would I think he was worth anything? Also, I'm pretty certain they'd only make the deal if he extended

also, with those players listed excluding harper... well actually, you can throw him in there as well... You don't feel we need upgrades at those positions anyways?

For comparison sake, I would seriously consider trading Will Smith for a 2nd and 3rd above the saints picks.

Vilma with his baggage? I would try for a conditional 4th in the 09 draft.

interesting... do you feel smith is underachieving? Or you just value the picks that much?

the entire thread was started with the anticipation that he gets a clean bill of health... if not, why would I think he was worth anything? Also, I'm pretty certain they'd only make the deal if he extended

also, with those players listed excluding harper... well actually, you can throw him in there as well... You don't feel we need upgrades at those positions anyways?

The hole point is moot other than Harper considering this FO has only picked him. I don't think it's fair, whether it's good or bad, to bunch Stinch, Devery, Bullocks etc. into who Payton has chosen. the only valid comparison is would you trade Vilma for someone of Harper's talent. Anyone else was drafted on someone elses watch.

lets not forget that it was the second pick in the second round...

the pick was a no brainer, after ryans was gone

Harper was actually picked 10 spots after Ryans....not necessarily a no brainer.

33. Ryans
43. Harper

The hole point is moot other than Harper considering this FO has only picked him. I don't think it's fair, whether it's good or bad, to bunch Stinch, Devery, Bullocks etc. into who Payton has chosen. the only valid comparison is would you trade Vilma for someone of Harper's talent. Anyone else was drafted on someone elses watch.

so if vilma's healthy, you wouldn't trade harper for him?

Harper was actually picked 10 spots after Ryans....not necessarily a no brainer.

33. Ryans
43. Harper
c'mon, they knew they were going to take him after ryans was gone and were also pretty certain that the other teams had no interest in him... all that did was get them another pick, to waste on a potential special teams all star

so if vilma's healthy, you wouldn't trade harper for him?

That is just the standard you should use...I was pointing out that all of your examples were not on equal footing because some were by past FO's and some weren't even 2nd round picks.

Would I trade Vilma for Harper if both were 100% healthy? yes...but when you go through a procedure like that, you are never 100% healthy again.

Now the more likely scenario............ would I trade Vilma for Lofton/Mayo/Goff? No!!! Either of these guys would be just as good or close and cheaper for the next 4 years.

again... lets look at 2nd n 3rd picks recently

usama young
andy alleman

Roman Harper

bullocks
fincher

devery
courtney watson

stinchcomb
cie grant

I can go much farther back than that and show how ridiculous it is to think that the chances of finding an impact player in the second, third, and fourth rounds are... If they think vilma will be healthy, you have to get him... no questions asked

This list doesn't make much sense. Roman Harper is the only 2nd round pick we've drafted since Payton took over and he starts for us. Young and Alleman were 3rd round picks and still have plenty of potential to help us out, so I wouldn't include them on any list that is supposed to slam our recent draft picks.

As far as trading for Vilma goes, you have to understand all of the circumstances that surround this deal. If it were simply a question of trading a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a young pro-bowl linebacker, then yeah, we'd all make that trade. But Vilma is coming off of a knee injury that could either limit or prematurely end his playing career. He's also going to be a free agent soon, so we may end up only "renting" him for a year.

This deal is far from a no-brainer. In fact, it could end up being quite the gamble for whoever makes it. Each team will just have to figure out for themselves how much they are willing to risk. Regardless of what you think, draft picks, even in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, are very valuable and the teams that have stayed competetive over the years are the teams that capitalize on their draft picks.

c'mon, they knew they were going to take him after ryans was gone and were also pretty certain that the other teams had no interest in him... all that did was get them another pick, to waste on a potential special teams all star

What are you talking about? How do you know harper was ranked directly below Ryans on their draft chart?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom