Maybe Keith Rivers is the best pick.... (1 Viewer)

Yay for the truth?

Anyways, I'm sure on someone's stopwatch, he'll run a 4.4 something, just from watching his highlights, what that has to do with how good of a football player he is, well that's just beyond me.

Official combine 40 times are timed electronically.

Can some one please explain why so many peolpe hate Keith Rivers so much? I'm not talking about this particular thread, but on other threads involving Rivers. What is there not to like about this man? I've watched the guy for the last 2 seasons, and he seems like a heck of a baller. What's with all this "The most overrated player in the draft bizz"? To me the most overrated guy in the draft is Desean Jackson.

All I see when I watch Rivers is a protype, playmaking WLB. Will's dont necessarily pile up huge tackle numbers, the just make plays. He was on a team of playmakers, and he was on of their top guys. What are the Rivers haters seeing, that I'm not. I think Keith Rivers will be good.

i think he will be good, i have nothing against rivers. I just think DRC would be the best pick in our situation

Official combine 40 times are timed electronically.

By a system that still randomly goes by a players first movement, that is timed by hand. That's why if a player gets a rolling start, they stop him. Its not a laser guided system, its still started by hand...

Yay for the truth?

Anyways, I'm sure on someone's stopwatch, he'll run a 4.4 something, just from watching his highlights, what that has to do with how good of a football player he is, well that's just beyond me.

No- I just don't see how it matters. Everyone is timed the same way so everyones times are adjusted accordingly.

In that environment, yes they are. Rivers didn't run, so he will not be evaluated in that environment, so whatever time he runs, unless its a 4.1 or 5.0, really means nothing.

Of course it matters. And he'll have atleast two dozen scouts timing him so everyone will have almost the same times.

Nothing "wrong" with Rivers. I just don't see him as #10 talent. Willis went #11 last year and Rivers is not even close to being in his class.

We'll do the utmost to move up for one of the 2 DTs......but if we can't move up, then I expect the coaches to go after a CB. We just got 2 veteran LBs in the FA, who probably will stay with us for some time, if they can stay healthy......I see almost no chance to go after another LB in the draft, after we added these 2.....so either a DT, or a CB in the 1st rd....

My hunch is that KC, or the Jets will trade with us, and we draft Ellis....

That's a draft I wouldn't mind. If Dorsey and Ellis are gone, then grab Rivers at #10, then hopefully Flowers will be there in the second.

That has been my draft strategy. Glad to see other people think the same.

Nothing "wrong" with Rivers. I just don't see him as #10 talent. Willis went #11 last year and Rivers is not even close to being in his class.

They play two different positions. The good MLB almost always looks better than the good WLB becuase most 43 schemes have the MLB making the plays. Sometimes a good WLB doesn't get most of the sacks or other statistics that can be verified and oggled over by fans, simply becuase it isn't their responsibily. That doesn't make them less important or less great becuase they do dirty work that doesn't get quantified. Kind of like having one end responsible for sacks and the other responsible for contain, or one S for pass protection while the other is used in the box or given free reign to go after picks and sacks.

With the signing of Vilma and Morgan, I still want the saints to draft 2 LB in the first 3 rds and a DL that will be starters. Why?

Because next year we are going to be right back in this same situation with LB and DL's. Vilam is in the last year of his contract and may want to test the market. The saints need to solidify these spots so they can begin to draft for other positions next year.

I keep going back and forth on this.. I'm not one of the guys who looks at film or reads draft mags, I'm just looking at it from the standpoint of passrush vs coverage. I'd love to have a top-flight CB, no doubt about it. But I think without a serviceable pass rush, the top flight CB won't get you too much. Since Rivers has been called a very good pass rushing OLB, I've been tempted to take him at 10 if the DTs are gone.

I think I'd be happier if we traded up and made sure we got Dorsey or Ellis, but if that isn't possible, do something for the pass rush. That's where I'm coming from. Take a CB in the 2nd or 3rd.

But if they go McKelvin or DRC, I really won't complain. I'll just hope the LB or DT they take in the 2nd can add to the pass rush.

If any of the big name studs are available at #10 i would of course pick them. If not i would use picks 1-2 on CB's.this is the best draft i've seen in along time for these guys. McCray was brought in specifically for the pass rush and it seems the FO is comfortable that this will give them the improvement they are looking for. I really like the LB crop in next years draft and would wait till the Vima deal works or doesn't to spend alot of money just yet on the LB position.( i have serious questions about Morgan at this time) The point being is that i think Young will improve greatly this year and MM will be back by at least Dec. By taking two CB's we won't have to go through this gyration next year when we cut JD. We can go DT-LB for the first two in 09'....JMHO

I'm a bit torn on this subject as well. Seems to me that the two most logical positions to select from are LB and CB since the two DT's will be gone. I think we have a better chance of getting a good LB'er in round 2 (Mayo, Highsmith, Henderson) than we do a CB. But, I also don't feel like any of the CB's are worthy of the #10 pick at this time.....maybe Jenkins but I don't trust the hype about Leodis or DRC.

I have a feeling that the Pats might take Rivers ahead of us and then we just might take an offensive player like one of the tackles if they fall. Clady?

Watch, we'll take a DT,DE, or OT. And once the top 2 DT falls off the board and we end up with a OT or a DE.. everyone will be crying, complaining, whining for the next couple of months while trying to convince themselves how this pick make sense and is the right choice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom