maybe Marcus Harrison at DT in second round? (1 Viewer)

rlpmd

professor and contributor
Reaction score
not that it matters, but Mel Kiper did have his as the best DT in the country early in his junior yr which was before injury and his arrest. Pro Day results are better than Dorsey:

WholeHogSports.com - Arkansas Pro Day report

Harrison's stock ESPN NFL analyst Chris Mortensen said former Arkansas defensive tackle Marcus Harrison is a lock for a second-round pick, and that the Little Rock native has a chance to join Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in the first round. "If he hadn't had the offfield stuff, I think he would be a first-rounder," Mortensen said, referring to Harrison's arrest and one-game suspension for possession of a controlled substance. "I'm sure there are people right now who are actually tempted, who are having that discussion in their head, maybe we should take him in the first round, because defensive linemen, those guys are hard to come by. " His value is going to go up as the draft moves on." According to NFL. com, Harrison recorded a 29-inch vertical leap, 9 feet in the long jump, 4. 54 seconds in the short shuttle run and 7. 55 in cone drills.

He is a big man who is more position flexible than Charles Grant and would be a really good addition to our DL.

I don't think Dorsey will be available and not sure that Ellis will be either, so if we then go CB and need a DT fix it would be wise to consider Harrison?

Compare Harrison numbers on Pro Days to Dorsey:

2008 LSU Football Pro Day - LSUsports.net—The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=55420

Harrison will be getting better because the needed amount of ACL repair time is just now being approached so all of 2007 accomplishments should be looked at with the understanding that he had ACL reconstruction in April of 2007. Big upside who will not probably go past the second round, really good bargain if available in 3 but not likely to be there. His drug conviction was for having one ecstacy tablet and very misdemeanor amount of marijuana left in his car by a friend he took home from a party. Busted is busted and how that factors into the Roger Goodell world is an important consideration. He could be the answer for our DT needs if the our obvious two top preferences are not available to us at pick 10.

I don't think he will go in the 2nd, as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure if he will go in the 3rd either. His injury and character issues are going to scare most teams from taking him that high. I wouldn't be suprised if some teams have taken him off their board completely. However, he does have tremendous ability if he could only stay out of trouble. If we don't get one of the two top-tier DTs I wouldn't mind us taking a chance on Harrison.

I wouldn't touch him personally. Injury issues, off-field issues, a questionable work ethic, and an inconsistent motor. If they were seperate issues, maybe, but all four in one prospect, no thank you. Way too many red flags for one player.

He is not much of a pass rusher and will not be a high draft pick IMHO. Remember this is the DT from the Arkansas Razorbacks who was arrested for Marijuana and Ectasy possession before last season and also was slow coming back from an ACL injury. Probably a team will gamble on him maybe around the 5th or 6th round. I really do not see him drafted any higher.

His drug conviction was for having one ecstacy tablet and very misdemeanor amount of marijuana left in his car by a friend he took home from a party

what?! where did that come from?! i swear officer i've never seen that stuff before.

I don't think he will go in the 2nd, as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure if he will go in the 3rd either. His injury and character issues are going to scare most teams from taking him that high. I wouldn't be suprised if some teams have taken him off their board completely. However, he does have tremendous ability if he could only stay out of trouble. If we don't get one of the two top-tier DTs I wouldn't mind us taking a chance on Harrison.

If he's a character risk in the 2nd, why would his character be any better in the later rounds? No, no, no.

If he's a character risk in the 2nd, why would his character be any better in the later rounds? No, no, no.

Because taking a questionable character guy in the 2nd round is competely different than taking one in the 5th. Teams cannot afford to make a mistake pick as high as 40 because it will adversely affect the organization over the long run. That's why character guys fall. However, taking someone who is a playmaker with character issues in the later rounds gives you that "low risk, high reward" scenario. Hell, last year neither our 4th nor 5th round picks made the team. So taking a chance on a guy that could have possibly turned himself around with a late draft pick is common practice in the NFL.

His drug conviction was for having one ecstacy tablet and very misdemeanor amount of marijuana left in his car by a friend he took home from a party

what?! where did that come from?! i swear officer i've never seen that stuff before.

or, "They're not my drugs." :covri:

LMAO!!!! HA, HA, HA.....

I love the verbage of "very misdemeanor" amount of marijuana. How much marijuana is that? Is that the remainder of the "extreme felony" amount after a heavy duty night of partying & smoking?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Because taking a questionable character guy in the 2nd round is competely different than taking one in the 5th. Teams cannot afford to make a mistake pick as high as 40 because it will adversely affect the organization over the long run. That's why character guys fall. However, taking someone who is a playmaker with character issues in the later rounds gives you that "low risk, high reward" scenario. Hell, last year neither our 4th nor 5th round picks made the team. So taking a chance on a guy that could have possibly turned himself around with a late draft pick is common practice in the NFL.

Yes it is cheaper to take a knucklehead in the 5th round than in the 1st or 2nd round, but he is still a knucklehead.

We all still have to wait and see how he does in the pros, but I wonder how Ogeron would do with a guy like him? I may be giving O too much credit this early, but I think we should take a relatively high prospect DT and let him mold him right.

Harrison

I want him to fly way under the radar and we get him in the 3rd. But really he will probably go in the late 2nd at best.

Pro Football Weekly rates him the fifth best DT and likely for the third round. My first preference would be to trade up to draft Dorsey or Ellis. If that doesn't work, I would prefer Trevor Laws in the 2nd round or Red Bryant in the 3rd round.

When he was a soph I thought he was going to be great. Didn't pan out though. I think he'll be a serviceable pro.

I'm really only posting because of all of the people throwing him under the bus for getting caught with one hit of x and some weed while he was in college. Most people drink and/or experiment with stuff in college. Doesn't mean you're a bad person or of questionable character. Let's not forget that these are 18-21 year old college kids. Give the guy a break.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom