Maybe this was necessary (1 Viewer)

dvdman

All-Pro
Reaction score
Maybe this was a necessary change. Oh sure the 13-3, 12-4 and 11-5 records were great and got us into the playoffs but after 2009 when we got there for whatever reason we sucked despite having overly talented roster. We should have never lost to the Vikings twice in the playoffs. Yeah you can call it bad luck, NFL conspiracy and unfortunate injuries but it is what it is and Payton was the head coach. As I stated in another post change in painful but sometimes necessary on both sides. We just all didn't expect it or wanted it so soon.

Last edited:
Were those playoff losses mostly due to weak defenses, especially in the secondary?

I always felt the Saints under Payton paid way more attention to loading the offense with weapons than reinforcing the defense.

Were those playoff losses mostly due to weak defenses, especially in the secondary?

I always felt the Saints under Payton paid way more attention to loading the offense with weapons than reinforcing the defense.
That was one of SP’s biggest weaknesses. His inability to create a balance on both sides of the ball. Either a great offense/bad defense or great defense/lackluster offense (later years). That’s why I will always say that 2018 was our last true year at a title. The offense was getting stale, but it still had enough juice to win it all.

After a couple days i have definitely embraced the change.

Having Burrow to root for definitely eases the pain

The offense was stale as hell the last couple years...it was some unimaginative football being played on the offensive side of the ball that got too predictable.

3rd and 7+: Screen
3rd and 5: 6 yard curl
3rd and 4 and under: QB Power

Him being halfway into retirement kinda explains the lazy playcalling...maybe this is better for everyone.

It was not necessary. it was unexpected to the fanbase but not the organization. Whether Payton or DA or whoever we may hire was the coach for the upcoming season we would still need to upgrade this offense so in all honestly we are still in the same situation whether Payton was coaching this team or not, upgrade this offense it just so happens we may have a philosophy change on offense because DA is his own man which is why DA if hired should hire his own offensive staff or add to the offensive staff to come up with the way he wants his offense ran.

The offense was stale as hell the last couple years...it was some unimaginative football being played on the offensive side of the ball that got too predictable.

3rd and 7+: Screen
3rd and 5: 6 yard curl
3rd and 4 and under: QB Power

Him being halfway into retirement kinda explains the lazy playcalling...maybe this is better for everyone.
True. The past few years, it became pretty much a given that our first drive would result in a punt 90% of the time. Totally the opposite of our offense in Payton's earlier years. Being honest, I haven't had a lot of confidence in our offense in about 5 years. As tough as it is to say goodbye, I can kind of see the point that it may be time for a new philosophy. That's not to say it may not be a disaster or extremely painful to watch. It's just that what we were doing had become extremely stale. Time will tell on how well it all works out. Hopefully, the defense keeps playing lights out and we can find some new excitement on offense. The question is, what QB is going to give us that? I hope we don't have to wait too long to find him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom